Author Topic: Designing a Head Badge  (Read 4220 times)

325racer

Designing a Head Badge
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
I'm in the process of designing a custom headbadge for my IP-057.  With the custom paint, it has affectionatly become named Woodie.

Here's the bike.

I was thinking about about something similar to below.  Probably not exactly because I don't want the Heart shaped leaves.

Sitar_Ned

Re: Designing a Head Badge
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Very cool, 325racer! Love the level of customization on your bike, and the badge will just make it all that much cooler.

Personally, I really like the design above. Nothing wrong with the heart shaped leaves, imo - in fact, I'm even so sure those are heart shaped? I think they're just awkward shaped leaves. Maybe I'm wrong tho. Either way, I like it.

You planning on using the place that was linked somewhere around here fairly recently? I'm interested in how the creative process works when ordering a badge from them.

blueducati

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Awesome project! I like the hearts on the tree too. Kinda reminds me of something you'd see on Game of Thrones. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do this. What material is the badge? How do you get the radius to match up with your head tube so it fits nicely? And do you just epoxy it on?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
^^ Good questions. Interested in the same.

325racer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
Working on a design, which is tough cause Im not an artist.   As far as how it will be made, Ill most likely be using the place I posted in the other Head Badge thread.   Its actually made of stearling silver.  How they will match the radius, Im not sure yet, need to contact the artist on that.  As we know this is not a straight curve, but a compound, concave curve, so will have to figure that out.

This Sheild was just something I found on the web, so it will probably be customized, possibly with the addition on wings on the side.

Izzy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
Subscribed.

Totally loving these fully custom, and now even personally branded, bike builds.

blueducati

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
I didn't see the other head badge thread, I'll go and look for it. If you are making it sterling silver and working with an artist, I'm guessing that you are putting a lot of effort into this. I wonder if you can do a mold of some sort on the head tube and send it to artist so he/she can match the shape? Something like an orthodontist or dentist would use to make a mold of someone's teeth?

325racer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

blueducati

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:01:17 AM »
Yeah, I did a search and found it last night. Those are very cool! Looking through the owner's gallery, it seems like all the badges are on steel frame road bikes, where the head tube is a pretty standard diameter. So that would be my big concern, making sure it fits your head tube nicely. Judging from your bike's paint scheme, it's obvious that you have good attention to detail and probably have a good idea of what it's going to take. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

cmh

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

I can't endorse Jen enough. If someone didn't link to her site, I was going to.  I've gotten one head badge from her, but we've also had her make several pieces of jewelry for my wife, including a really cool bike piece that she wears all the time:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1875967900557.2100470.1282001596&type=1&l=d8bf1a80cd

I used to work literally around the corner from her, she's a great person, and she is constantly doing phenomenal work.

brmeyer135

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »
My biggest concern is the amount put in it....with material(sterling silver) and cost.
Not sure how they attach, but as someone mentioned the headtube is concave and tapered
Sure hate to have that drop off.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:44:15 PM by brmeyer135 »

cmh

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
My biggest concern is the amount put in it....with material(sterling silver) and cost.
Not sure how they attach, but as someone mentioned the headtube is concave and tapered
Sure hate to have that drop off.

Oh hell yeah. I have a Karate Monkey badge for her that I never installed on the frame because it was so much nicer than the frame. With that one, it came with two tiny screws, and I would have had to drill and tap the head tube. Obviously not gonna work on a carbon bike, so I think she does adhesives of some type. Considering the work that's gone into some of her recent stuff, (multiple metals and loads of detail) I imagine she's got the adhesion thing sorted out. Tapered/shaped head tubes are everywhere, so she probably knows how to deal with that as well, but for that you'd have to ask her directly.