Author Topic: Do you guys get crap from friends for building a chiner?  (Read 1673 times)

deucelee

Do you guys get crap from friends for building a chiner?
« on: January 22, 2022, 11:23:02 AM »
As title says, do you guys get any crap from them? J/w :)

cybrsrce

Re: Do you guys get crap from friends for building a chiner?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »
A large part of my group is my son and his friends on my second hand builds, so we have numbers! :)  The only crap I get is for being slow from the guys my age that have jumped over to e-bikes.

Stef Biggel

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 04:44:26 AM »
A large part of my group is my son and his friends on my second hand builds, so we have numbers! :)  The only crap I get is for being slow from the guys my age that have jumped over to e-bikes.

But then they have to be craped, being such lazy guys. :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:49:07 AM by Stef Biggel »

cybrsrce

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:38:25 AM »
But then they have to be craped, being such lazy guys. :D

They were just old and slow, now they're just old but faster up climbs ;D  Honestly they get more remarks, in a joking fashion, about cheating and not being fair.  The Chinese direct frames do not usually get a second look because they have high quality components and look like most branded frames.  The AM831 gets questions because it is an unusual design, but no hate.  People even ask how to get one and I tell them don't... not yet anyway, and direct them to these forums. 

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 07:40:36 PM »
My first chiner was a road bike from velobuild that I put some higher end Campagnolo parts on. A local curmodgeon warned me that the head tube was going sheer off. Thats what happened with some of the original chinarello knock offs before the direct to consumer market got serious. That told me this guy had done 0 research and just liked to spread fear. He's really the one one who hated on it. Even my local bike shop was cool with it.

I rode that bike for several thousand miles before selling the frame to another local who rode it for another several thousand miles before selling it to another local guy. That frame is still rolling under its 5th owner and thousands upon thousands of miles later.

Beaumont88

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 04:58:57 AM »
I did at first, it was the usual ...oh it will explode on the first ride...cheap chinese rubbish...youve been cheap....should of got a name brand...etc etc ...till id done the same rides as them (including hellvellyn uk) on there expensive name brand bike and it handled it fine, i love my ican p9

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
To my surprise (based on the amount of unsubstantiated shade thrown at Chinese parts) I’ve only had compliments
Better than average - Extra Average

tripleDot

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 02:33:24 AM »
I got a couple of groups.

One group doesn't give a hoot what brand or make my bikes are. They are more focused on the kind of rides I do. They do, however, praise my cf or titanium bike for the material's reputation.

The other group is composed of guys who are more financially successful. They don't give me crap for having Chinese bikes (custom titanium) as they've seen mine were thoughfully done... or because I still out-climb/paced most of them on their branded gravel bikes with my Chinese mtb. They just don't talk much about my bikes most of the time. It's always some guy's Ritchey, Ibis, Niner, Cannondale, Surly or other big brand names. Sort of a snub, if you must. But often times, they have some topics up (on FB & Messenger groups) about new features on new branded bikes and I just drop a pic of my 4 year old bike that already have those features.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:35:42 AM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)