Author Topic: DT Swiss Hubs  (Read 10271 times)

Carbon_Dude

DT Swiss Hubs
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:02:45 AM »

For my IP-056, I purchased a DT Swiss Wheelset with DT Swiss 240 hubs. The wheels were take-offs from a high end Rock Mountain element.  The XR1450 wheel set is super light but the rims are not as strong as I would like given my weight and trails conditions.  I have bent a rear rim and had to replace it.  I may replace the rims in the future with carbon hoops but for now they are working well enough but the hubs have been great, definitely would recommend them.

By far DT Swiss have been my favorite set of hubs that I've owned and here is why:
1) Tool-free serviceability.
2) Available in straight-pull spoke configuration.  The J-bend in a spoke is a weak point, I like straight pull spokes as they are generally stronger.
3)  XD freehub compatibility for SRAM XX1 11-speed cassette.
4)  Excellent durability.
5)  IMO, the star ratchet is far superior to any pawl type rear hub.
6)  The bearings are extremely high quality compared to my new set of BiTex hubs that I got with my XMIplay Carbon wheels.  With the same effort, when I spin a wheel with the bike on the work stand, the DT Swiss wheels spin up to 6X longer than the wheels with BiTex hubs, it's like the hubs have nearly zero friction.

If I were to build another set of wheels, I'd do XMIplay Carbon Hoops along with DT Swiss 350 hubs (much cheaper than the 240s hubs) and not much difference.  Another hub alternative is SRAM XO hubs, I believe they are very similar to the DT Swiss 240 or 350 hubs.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:11:20 AM by Carbon_Dude »

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Izzy

Re: DT Swiss Hubs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
Timely post for me as I'm trying to figure out what hubs to go with for my Chinese carbon rims that I plan on purchasing within the next few weeks.

I was actually almost 100% set on the DT Swiss 240s, but if you say their isn't much difference between the two I suppose I should rethink that decision. Not that I question you or anything.. I just find it hard to believe that there is such little difference in performance and quality when the price difference is pretty steep.

Thanks for the review.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Timely post for me as I'm trying to figure out what hubs to go with for my Chinese carbon rims that I plan on purchasing within the next few weeks.

I was actually almost 100% set on the DT Swiss 240s, but if you say their isn't much difference between the two I suppose I should rethink that decision. Not that I question you or anything.. I just find it hard to believe that there is such little difference in performance and quality when the price difference is pretty steep.

Thanks for the review.

Pretty much where I'm at even though I shouldn't be. I literally haven't even finished my build yet and am eyeing an upgrade to carbon rims and most likely DT hubs.

I've never owned or ridden any, but I've been doing a ridiculous amount of research on hubs and rims lately and the DT 350s seem to be the across the board best value.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:41:12 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
I'm sure the DT Swiss 240 are a bit nicer but also twice the price.  The hubs that came with my DT Swiss wheels are 240's, I just think the 350's are probably 85% as good but for half the price.

Also, when I talked to the SRAM rep, the new XO hubs are very similar to the DT Swiss hubs.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 08:57:56 AM »
I wonder how the hubs on my Charger Experts compare to the 350s.. They're supposedly fairly nice hubs from what I can gather, and are a step up from the hubs found on the comp models. Just wondering how I would determine if the 350s would be a worthy upgrade, or not much of one at all..

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 09:06:09 AM »
If it wasn't for the fact that my DT Swiss hubs spin with so much less friction, I would not have even bothered to start this thread.  Yes, the tool free serviceability is nice, as are the other features.  I really like the star ratchet drive as well.  However, I'm sure there are a lot of good hubs out there, I've never had problems with any of the hubs on my bikes, Bontrager, Specialized, Bitex (so far).

I like to roll fast so I like low rolling resistance tires, run 36psi of air, really like the DT Swiss hubs, and don't like any brake disk rub.  Typically when I'm out riding with friends and on the rare occasion that I'm not out front, I notice that I'm coasting along while the guy in front of me is still pedaling and I'm either keeping pace or slightly catching up :).  I love efficiency!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:09:34 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
I feel like these sun ringle rims spin forever.. but then again, I have absolutely nothing to compare them to. They are also straight spoke and have a decently high number of points of engagement.

I think I'm just going to have some carbon rims laced to these hubs that I already have. Didn't really want to do that as it seems if these sun ringle rims are just sitting around.. that's money completely wasted, if I had just an extra wheelset with street tires on them.. well that's pretty cool and not money wasted at all imo.. BUT hubs are just too expensive.. I'd rather just use what I have and upgrade for a few hundred bucks. That'll put me at about $600 for the wheelset, which is about what I would've spent anyways even if I would've just bought them from the beginning. Not bad, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:26:29 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:30:01 PM »
The more I think about it the more I wonder about the friction factor. I mean you have two wheelsets that have an apparent drastic difference in their primary function: rolling. Seems a rather important distinction, and it kinda sucks that it's one of the few things that can't really be packaged in an easy to compare spec. Well I guess there is rolling resistance.. not sure if they measure that or not, though.. Don't think so.

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:41 PM »

and don't like any brake disk rub.

I also have the XT's.. any tricks for eliminating it completely? I have it slightly on my front and it's been fairly persistent.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »

I also have the XT's.. any tricks for eliminating it completely? I have it slightly on my front and it's been fairly persistent.

I'll second that request. I have rub front and back. I'm assuming I fix it by adjusting the caliper's position on the frame/fork but thought I read that Shimano brakes had some type of adjustment for that.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »
When you first build a new bike and the pads are new, you may have some light rubbing until you get one or two rides on them.  That's been my experience anyway.  Seems the pads need to wear in a bit.  However, make sure you have properly aligned the caliper and your disc is flat and true when mounted. 
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Thought on friction free.  That, would be due to the higher quality bearing(s) in the DT240's I assume.
It would be interesting, at some point, somebody took the time to replace their off brand hubs with higher end bearings.
I have Bike Hub Store hubs that come with Enduro bearings...they turn fine....but nothing to compare to(will check out on the rides with somebody).
But otherwise, if the testing doesn't seem good to me, I may put in some higher end semi or full ceramic bearings to see how they roll(depending on expense to)