Author Topic: IP-106 Cable issues  (Read 2175 times)

Scottyp

IP-106 Cable issues
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:32 AM »
Hi Guys, a few build questions for IP-106 frames

1) I can't get my Jagwire cable housing through for the rear derailleur cable. What housing are you using?

2) Anyone running just the bare cable?

3) Probably a fairly dumb question but to get the brakes internally routed I am going to have to bleed the brakes aren't I?

4) What is common stem (and stem size) for this bike, I am 6 ft 1 on a large frame.

5) Anyone used the carbon fork on grade 4 / advanced tracks?

You help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP-106 Cable issues
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:06 PM »
1) I can't get my Jagwire cable housing through for the rear derailleur cable. What housing are you using?  Jagwire cables might have larger outer diameters, do you have a standard SRAM or Shimano derailleur cable housing to try?  I don't have an IP-106 so I am not sure if you should be cutting the housing and putting a cable ferrule on the end.  With my IP-057 I needed to cut the cable and use ferrules, with my IP-036 I ran full housings after figuring out bare cable and ferrules were too small for the openings.

2) Anyone running just the bare cable?
See answer #1.

3) Probably a fairly dumb question but to get the brakes internally routed I am going to have to bleed the brakes aren't I? If you look around, there is a "no-bleed" method of shortening the cable which also applies to running the cable internal, essentially, you squeeze the caliper piston together a bit, cut the cable, then when you push the caliper pistons back out you purge any air that got in the line, and connect the line up to your lever.  I have been successful using this method about half the time, then again I was new to the process.

4) What is common stem (and stem size) for this bike, I am 6 ft 1 on a large frame.
Sounds like you would want to start with a 60-70mm stem, but there is no formula for stem length, it's whatever feels comfortable to you.  Check your LBS, they may have a set of spare stems you can try which will help you decide.  Of course, you will probably want to purchase the length stem you need from them as well.

5) Anyone used the carbon fork on grade 4 / advanced tracks?
No clue here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 01:03:44 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
For the stem, I would recommend going to eBay and looking for Kalloy brand stems or similar.  You can pick them up in a variety of sizes for $15-25 shipped.  Start with a size, ride it for a while and see how you like it.  If you don't like it, try another.  They are cheap enough to be an experiment.  They are decently light and well made, however, so if you like it you can stick with it (I have 500+ miles on mine without issue) or you can then take what you've learned and buy a properly sized high-end stem.

Scottyp

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »
I just tried a Shimano 4mm housing and that didn't work either, has anyone ran these cables with out the guide? presumable that would rub quite badly inside the frame?

Man these bikes are a bit of a hassle to build.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:13 AM »
Sounds like you could be running cable only, without the housing.  I don't have an IP-106 so I'm not able to confirm the cable configuration for that frame but if even the smallest housing does not fit, it makes sense to me that it was not meant to have a full housing run inside the frame.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

seat_boy

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:04 AM »
On my IP-106, I ran the gear cable bare in the frame, while the brakes used the housing. The holes were different sizes to allow this.
My blog, some of it about China Carbon stuff:
http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/