Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

2022 - Rotor recommendations?

(1/11) > >>

Fat Larry:
I would like to order some rotors for an enduro build and after a few searches on here i'm unsure of what to order.

I'm fairly new to mtb and rotor brakes so don't really have a point of reference to compare anything i might order from Ali.

Any suggestions? I know i want 203 or 220mm.

Anyone know of a company that sells thicker rotors? I have an mt5 calliper i'm using on this build and read they use slightly thicker than normal rotors.

Ztto seem to have mixed reviews.

Do i need floating? Do floating rotors fail at the joins?

Thanks.

benando:
I bought the ztto floating rotors in 160 and 140mm. They do seem thicker, even after alignment with spacers so that they fit centered between my brake pads. The 160 had a minor wobble which I corrected by gentle bending with my hand. I also had low speed brake shudder which went away after 10 miles of road riding.

Overall I wouldn't buy again simply because the solid steel rotors are plenty for me. But if I had to buy floating rotors, I would buy ztto again. Floating rotors do not have any history that I've read of failing. Also the ztto rotors are identical to differently branded rotors I see from Western bike retailers.

My experience with smaller rotors could easily differ from others experiences with the larger ones. More chance for a bad wobble to occur when bigger.

StiffWeenies:
I think Onirii might have something right up your alley

They've contracted Stirling Design (designer of Niu Aero) to come up with these disc rotors that'll come in 140/160/180/203mm sizes with 6-bolt or CL mounting options. These rotors are supposed to be paired with the upcoming Onirii M4 and M2 post mount brakes for MTB. I guess this is also formal proof that Onirii are indeed working on proper mineral oil hydraulic brakes, hopefully we'll see a flat mount version of that 4 piston M4 calliper.

Fat Larry:
Interesting. Nice looking rotors.

Are those cable actuated hydro brakes? How are they?

StiffWeenies:

--- Quote from: Fat Larry on April 11, 2022, 07:08:36 PM ---Interesting. Nice looking rotors.

Are those cable actuated hydro brakes? How are they?

--- End quote ---

The BR-05 callipers in the second picture are hydromechanical, I can't comment on performance because I've never tried them before but they seem to be the best hydromechanical option after the Juins which are 2-3x the price depending on model. The M4 and M2 appear to be proper mineral oil hydraulic and the M4 lever/calliper design itself looks to be very Trickstuff/Hope RX4+ PM inspired, but I'm not too knowledgeable on MTB brakes and could be totally off here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version