Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 82650 times)

carbonazza

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2022, 12:38:56 AM »
...Do I need the cable routing kit from parktool or can I just get away using fishing line and dumb luck...
You can easily route a brake cable with a good magnet in any frame.
Then put the end of the cable into the hose, like 5-10cm.
And gently push the hose into the frame.
The brake cable with its rigidity will guide the hose trough the eventual twists.

Sebastian

« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2022, 05:30:48 AM »
Does anyone have a link to a manual or diagram on this frame that shows how the cable hose routing is laid out in the frame ?

There is none that I would be aware of.

Do I need the cable routing kit from parktool or can I just get away using fishing line and dumb luck

You don't need one IMO. It's pretty easy to route cables on this frame. Also, the big bottom bracket cover makes it easier. You can route the cables to the BB and then continue from there.

Also are the cable houses clamped anywhere in the frame to prevent rattling ?

As with most of these frames, there's a hole on either end of the frame and that's it. The rest you got to figure out yourself. Most people use full length housing and wrap it into some sort of foam. There's a housing damper kit by Jagwire. That's what I used.

I have no idea when the frame or wheel will show up so I’m asking all the questions I can think of ahead of time and getting everything ready for my first build

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2022, 12:47:53 AM »
You can easily route a brake cable with a good magnet in any frame.
Then put the end of the cable into the hose, like 5-10cm.
And gently push the hose into the frame.
The brake cable with its rigidity will guide the hose trough the eventual twists.

what type of hose are we talking?
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

madmax

« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »
what type of hose are we talking?

Jagwire ZSK600 Foam for Inner Tubes/Tubes, Unisex, Adult, Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C32KBG9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AMY4I718ZUBOU&psc=1

Don't ask why they named it above  (Unisex, Adult...).....  ;D  ..but is it for brake/shifter hoses

madmax

« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
I think most bikes either use a foam or some type of retainer guide for the hose in the frame.

On my wife's Canyon Aeroroad, they have the hoses running through the downtube & are zip tied & I don't know if they have foam cover as above
Some people have reported rattling in the Canyon frame, but those might be older models

madmax

« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2022, 10:13:41 AM »
Heres the routing kit I ordered for $16
Looks like an exact clone of the ParkTool one which is way overpriced at $67

BESNIN Internal Cable Routing kit Bicycle Internal Cable Routing Tool Cycling Bike Internal Cable Routing Tool for Bicycle Frame Put Out Inner Wire
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5WVXRWL?psc=1&smid=AZHOINDEUNJQ8&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

This one has good reviews & is on sale & I will need it at some point when I work on the Canyon or my Madone

madmax

« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2022, 09:26:58 AM »
Reply from Chris @Velobuild with a pix of the cable routing

It's for the disc version, though my frame is a rim brake. Still good to see how the cables are routed

coffeebreak

« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2022, 09:50:38 AM »
In above diagram the cable for front derailleur is routed above the BB or below the BB? Or it doesn't matter

s3si1u

« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »
In above diagram the cable for front derailleur is routed above the BB or below the BB? Or it doesn't matter

In the photo it's routed under the BB. If the 218 is anything like the 177, then the cable surely has to go under the BB. There's not really enough space to go over, the bend would probably be too tight anyway

madmax

« Reply #354 on: November 13, 2022, 12:37:24 AM »
Chris just confirmed that the pix is for the 099, but the routing is identical for the 218 disc

For the rim version the fd and rd cables will go thru bottom tube and the rear rim brake cable will go through top tube

Sebastian

« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2022, 01:43:59 AM »
The 218 is massive at the bottom bracket. Plenty of space there. I found it easier to route the cables above the crank spindle. You could route it below. But it’s tighter there. And particularly with the front rd I’d be worried that the cable moves and rubs at the crank spindle.

madmax

« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2022, 01:49:05 AM »
The 218 is massive at the bottom bracket. Plenty of space there. I found it easier to route the cables above the crank spindle. You could route it below. But it’s tighter there. And particularly with the front rd I’d be worried that the cable moves and rubs at the crank spindle.

Did you have to do any filing inside the BB, where they added a bolt that’s sticking up a bit

Sebastian

« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2022, 03:38:08 AM »
Did you have to do any filing inside the BB, where they added a bolt that’s sticking up a bit

No. My Campagnolo crank has a 25mm spindle which just about does not rub. Shimano 24mm and SRAM GXP with 24mm will be fine as well. But SRAM Dub might rub and BB30 definitely will, I guess.

Piros

« Reply #358 on: November 13, 2022, 04:26:32 AM »
Hello everyone. I would also like to buy a frame with rim brakes.
 I saw that on the geometry table from velobuild and aliexpress the size S is from velob. a A=53cm and ali CF=50cm.
 I think the velobuild table is wrong, am I right? I like it when the seat post sticks out a lot.
 I'm 173cm, should size S fit?

madmax

« Reply #359 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:25 AM »
Hello everyone. I would also like to buy a frame with rim brakes.
 I saw that on the geometry table from velobuild and aliexpress the size S is from velob. a A=53cm and ali CF=50cm.
 I think the velobuild table is wrong, am I right? I like it when the seat post sticks out a lot.
 I'm 173cm, should size S fit?

173cm = 5' 6"
I am 5' 10" & ride a size 56cm Trek & Chris recommended a  XL 218 frame for me.

Take this comparison I did for my own bike & then add/remove sizes with your own existing bike & get an idea of the the geometry

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek-madone-2021-56-cm,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-525-xl,velobuild-vb-r-218-2022-520-l/

After that email Chris @velo & tell him your height & send a pix of your comparison to him & he will be able to guide you on frame size & handlebars
They are responsive & very nice to work with