Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 89449 times)

madmax

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #480 on: January 04, 2023, 12:52:21 PM »
Bike done & the FD was retapped with M7  & used an M6 helicoil & everything is smooth.

This is a new tech @Leucadia Cyclery & he basically saved me from having to buy an all new FD that was butchered by SoCal bikes.

Now. I'm running into 2 minor issues

1. The steel grub screws were sticking out a bit on handbar & seatpost so those were replace by M6 x12mm g12 black alloy steel & now they are too short it seems
    (I have a box of 666 M3/4/5/6/8/10/12) (if anyone needs any size let me know)

Ideally I would like a flush install, currently the inner threads are exposed & I don't like that, because if  they get damaged, it will be impossible to get  the screw out.

2. The wedge piece behind seatpost sticks out a bit & I dont know if its supposed to be flush or not  (can anyone take a pix & confirm ? )

Will post pix of completed bike in a bit.  Waiting on custom decals to be printed

madmax

« Reply #481 on: January 04, 2023, 02:55:01 PM »
Some pix....pouring in SoCal at the moment...will take a better one later with lighting

madmax

« Reply #482 on: January 05, 2023, 11:06:51 AM »
More pix & questions

M6 x 12mm bolt in stem goes in & does not sit flush & that made me nervous, so I reverted back to the original bolts that stick out a bit  (torque 6 nm)
Is there any other side I can use or go back to smaller 12mm & use a rubber cap ?    The original steel grubs are ~ 15mm length

M6 x 12 black g12 alloy steel on seat post fit & now I need to find a rubber grommet/cap so I need to know what size (a link would help)

Seatpost wedge sticks out a bit & I'm thinking of using clear silicon sealer to lay down a bead around the base & waterproof it or use silicon fuse tape
If this is supposed to sit flush let me know

madmax

« Reply #483 on: January 06, 2023, 04:58:51 PM »
Did the first test ride & bike is much lighter than my Madone  (19.6 lbs)  at 17.4 with pedals/ bottles etc etc

It handles well & ran into a couple of issues

1. FD will not shift from small ring to big & only does that only in a while.  I can see the cable move the FD when I try to shift

2. Saddle rear hex bolt fell off.  It looks like a 5mm hex bolt with some sort of plate nut  & my saddle came off & nearly killed me in the process
    This is probably the first bike shop that did not torque the bolts or use loctite. Luckily I was able to regain my balance & not keel over in traffic

Can anyone tell me what bolt/nut is used to clamp the saddle in the rear so I go find a spare bolt ?

coffeebreak

« Reply #484 on: January 06, 2023, 07:07:06 PM »
All my bikes have varying lengths of M5 screws to tighten saddles. The ones on my VB frame are M5x35mm.

madmax

« Reply #485 on: January 06, 2023, 07:15:36 PM »
All my bikes have varying lengths of M5 screws to tighten saddles. The ones on my VB frame are M5x35mm.

Yep the rear bolt is an M5,  I don't know what that tiny rectangular nut is called or its dimensions since mine fell off

At the moment I have a replacement M5 bolt with a washer & barrel nut which looks funny but holds the seat in place

Edit :#1

Partial solution

Chris @Velobuild responded within a few hours & sent out another set of bolts

Brian @ Lecuadia Cyclery looked up the F12 & used a barrel nut thats used in the Pinarello to fit in the space & torqued it to 8 nm & also fixed my FD so the shifting is smooth now

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:49:13 PM by madmax »

coffeebreak

« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »
Glad it's all sorted out. I think with a little scavenging around in local hardware store you might be able to stock up on those nuts. I found something similar.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-3-8-x-5-8-x-1-4-20-Barrel-Nut-880543/202242356

This of course isn't metric style but they might have metric too.

madmax

« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2023, 12:45:03 AM »
Ordered these ones as they are a better fit, right now I have a stopgap nut and bolt in there

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NP4RCHJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

FD chain rub on small and large ring in front when the largest 2 rear cogs are used
Also it will not shift at all from small to large in front if I’m pedaling, so I think the adjustment is off

There is no inline barrel adjuster so setting this up correctly is proving to be hit or miss and I will have to learn how to do this myself

Oddly, the bike feels smaller compared to my Madone 56cm, though they are identical in size with +- 3.5 cm difference in reach
Takes a bit more effort to get going, but holds speed really well, probably due to ceramic bearings in the elite drive wheels

Madone is 12x2  48/35, 10-33
Velo is 12x2  52/36, 11-34

I seem to be using the big ring on front a lot more on this bike than on the Madone sl7

madmax

« Reply #488 on: January 11, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
Completed Bike pix

Bike with decals installed

Matt from MH Custom Printing in Oceanside/San Diego, who made the decals for me & put them on

Huge thanks to everyone on here who replied with helpful suggestion & Sebastian who has been in touch via email & helped me resolve my front derailleur issues

Sebastian

« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2023, 01:43:49 AM »
Completed Bike pix

Bike with decals installed

Matt from MH Custom Printing in Oceanside/San Diego, who made the decals for me & put them on

Huge thanks to everyone on here who replied with helpful suggestion & Sebastian who has been in touch via email & helped me resolve my front derailleur issues

Nice One! Congrats on finishing your build. Looking great. I like the Blackbird reference.
Glad I could help you on your odyssee

kongo

« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2023, 02:35:35 PM »
need ideas, the bottom bolt that mounts the water bottle is siezed in bolt hole. when i try to un screw i can feel it ripping up the carbon. basically the mounting poing feels like it want to spin free. the top mount is good. wondering if i should leave it as-is.

madmax

« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2023, 05:15:44 PM »
Just did a 26 mile ride & ran into the following issues  (give me your opinion here folks)

1. Clicking noise.  This may be the rear indexing

2. Chain rub on largest sprocket in rear (11-34)

3. Creaking/swooshing noise if I stand & pedal up a hill & I think this may be the spindle rubbing against that inner bolt
   This is the first time I've heard this since riding this bike

4. Creaking noises from the front of the bike.
    This one is really odd as I can't tell what the heck is causing this or if the Elite Wheels carbon spokes are "twanging" due to wind, since I did not have this noise in the last 5 rides

The Campy Record can definitely take a beating & I was in the large ring in the front for most of my ride, which surprised me as I'm usually on the smaller ring on the SRAM Force on the Madone
I think this may have to do with the 52/36 front & 11-34 rear combination

Overall the bike rides well & is more comfortable in reach than the Madone, though the seat is really stiff (same Bontrager Aeolus saddles on all my bikes) & for that the Trek iso speed wins out for comfort.

jr223

« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »

For #4 did you lube between the outer diameter of the bearings and the frame? I've had that weird creaking front end before on one of my Specialized bikes and I solved it with an extra help of grease.

madmax

« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2023, 09:17:27 PM »
For #4 did you lube between the outer diameter of the bearings and the frame? I've had that weird creaking front end before on one of my Specialized bikes and I solved it with an extra help of grease.

Yes.  I used ParkTool ASC-1 on the threads of the Campy Ultra Torque cups & set those to 35nm & then the crank itself was coated with PL-1 & tightened to 42nm  (40-60nm)
Keep in mind the crank spins freely & all is fine when riding straight. The moment I put some muscle into the pedals I get this slight creak & if I am standing I get this dull rubbing sound

I swear this sounds like one of the old WW2 planes with mechanical controls & everything creaking & clicking in the wind & the red campy carbon pads make a hissing noise like a jet turbine spooling down as you brake to a halt....now that does sound cool

The only difference between the last 4-5 rides & this one today was I didn't have my headphones in & the decals are now on the bike & maybe Kelly Johnsons (Skunkworks/SR-71) spirit has somehow taken up residence on the bike   ;D

Sebastian

« Reply #494 on: January 13, 2023, 11:46:12 AM »
need ideas, the bottom bolt that mounts the water bottle is siezed in bolt hole. when i try to un screw i can feel it ripping up the carbon. basically the mounting poing feels like it want to spin free. the top mount is good. wondering if i should leave it as-is.

Well, if you don't HAVE TO undo it, I'd say leave it be.
Did you use Loctite?
If you MUST get it out, I'd probaly start by taking out the cranks and try to apply penetrating oil like WD40 from in- and outside and see if you can loosen it somehow.