Author Topic: How I painted my frame  (Read 2531 times)

jannmayer

Re: How I painted my frame
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »
I'm also not very familiar with this topic and I asked "ETEO" the question on Youtube, maybe he'll give me an answer.

Whereby a raw frame certainly still requires a lot of work?

Yes, there will still be a lot of work. The most time consuming part was the final sanding and polishing of the clearcoat. However, if you skimp on this, it will be obvious. I had a few runs and other issues with the clearcoat that took extra work to smooth out, so definitely take your time when spraying it!

planet_sammy

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 06:05:25 AM »
Yes, there will still be a lot of work. The most time consuming part was the final sanding and polishing of the clearcoat. However, if you skimp on this, it will be obvious. I had a few runs and other issues with the clearcoat that took extra work to smooth out, so definitely take your time when spraying it!

How much 2K Primer and clear coat cans did you use for your frame and fork, is one cane not enough?

jannmayer

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
I used two cans of primer and two of clearcoat. One can will easily cover the full frame. However, I did two coats of each and needed time for drying and then sanding. The working life of the cans once mixed is to short for that, so you'll need one can per coat.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 01:01:47 PM »
Oh my goddess. That is pretty. I  want a similar color scheme when I do my frame. But I want some purple with color shift and some cyan or mint instead of the red/orange.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Serge_K

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
I admire your tenacity, and thank you for taking the time to share the details of the work.
I wish I could just dip a frame in a bathtub of paint and be done with it...
Do you have a sense for how much the project ended up costing you? 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of clearcoat, plus the different paints, the specialized masking tape, it ends up being pretty significant i presume?

jannmayer

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »

I only kept partial records of my painting costs, but I estimate it was about $170 USD. I don't know what Carbonda would have charged for a scheme like this buit it probably would have been similar or slightly more.

The paint was the most expensive part:
Primer (2 cans): $21.50
Paint (6 cans): $55.08
Clear (2 cans): $41.99

I didn't keep a log of the tape or sandpaper since I already had much of that. I probably used $15 to $20 worth of tape (basic blue painter's tape and Tamiya masking tape), and maybe the same amount of sandpaper? The polishing compound was maybe $17, and I had the bottle of car wax lying around.

I'm not sure if I would do it again. If so, I would probably simplify the scheme a bit and pick the paint cans out in person to get a better match!

Draz

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2022, 02:59:28 PM »
I only kept partial records of my painting costs, but I estimate it was about $170 USD. I don't know what Carbonda would have charged for a scheme like this buit it probably would have been similar or slightly more.

The paint was the most expensive part:
Primer (2 cans): $21.50
Paint (6 cans): $55.08
Clear (2 cans): $41.99

I didn't keep a log of the tape or sandpaper since I already had much of that. I probably used $15 to $20 worth of tape (basic blue painter's tape and Tamiya masking tape), and maybe the same amount of sandpaper? The polishing compound was maybe $17, and I had the bottle of car wax lying around.

I'm not sure if I would do it again. If so, I would probably simplify the scheme a bit and pick the paint cans out in person to get a better match!

Thats too much IMHO. However that really depends on which part of the planet you live in.
I made a deal with a car body body shop.
Paint cost me under 10$
Primer, CC, labor was like 30$.

I did the sanding but nasty stuff is handled by the shop.
40$ in total.

Serge_K

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »
Thats too much IMHO. However that really depends on which part of the planet you live in.
I made a deal with a car body body shop.
Paint cost me under 10$
Primer, CC, labor was like 30$.

I did the sanding but nasty stuff is handled by the shop.
40$ in total.

Looks very nice, obviously quite different than Jannmayer's paint job.
Whereabouts in the world are you and how did you go about it? You sanded, brought a masked frame to them, they did the primer, they painted, they applied the clear coat, and you got your finished frame back?
I quite like the idea of liaising with a car body shop, there's a million of those around me.

Draz

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2022, 05:21:17 PM »
Looks very nice, obviously quite different than Jannmayer's paint job.
Whereabouts in the world are you and how did you go about it? You sanded, brought a masked frame to them, they did the primer, they painted, they applied the clear coat, and you got your finished frame back?
I quite like the idea of liaising with a car body shop, there's a million of those around me.

Yes, obviously my paintjob is just a getaway. Jannmayer made a masterpiece and really spend time on it, unfortunately i'm a lazy mf.
I did exactly as you described.
I deal with them for 3 stage painting. Acrylic paint, cc, primer are selected.
I used some sort of abrasive sponge and masked it and primed in 1st day.
Second day, i sanded and masked again if needed. Eyeballed a custom paint. (british green race with big metallic flakes and pearlescent paint to blend everything nicely)
Layer of paints are applied 10-20mins apart. Then before it gets dry, CC layers are applied same way.
I waited until everything chemically dries(2-3 weeks).
Then applied automative grade clear protection film myself.
If you supply parts to hang the frame while drying, it is better.

Add one day for each different paint and 2 more day to sand the cc to level it and for the last layer of cc.
I live in Turkey btw.