Author Topic: Did you check your dropout screws recently? (256 frame)  (Read 2438 times)

carbonazza

Did you check your dropout screws recently? (256 frame)
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »
While cleaning the rear derailleur this morning.
I noticed some play between the frame and the derailleur.
All four screws of the dropouts were lightly loose.

May be you should check yours.
Beware, the heads are Torx not Hexa.

Vipassana

Re: Did you check your dropout screws recently? (256 frame)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
A buddy list one of his a couple of rides ago.  Mine weren't right from the factory.

Also mine are most certainly hex and not Torx.

Ken4

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
I didnt trust the china workers, i re-loctited mine from the moment i got the frame.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
I didnt trust the china workers, i re-loctited mine from the moment i got the frame.

Funny - trust them to assemble the bike from sheets of carbon fabric and glue but not to tighten screws.  ;)

Seriously though, it's a good idea to check and tighten (if necessary) all the fasteners on the bike on a regular basis. Not saying I do, but I should.  ;D

blueducati

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
I just got my 256 this afternoon, and these screws were the first thing I looked at. Lo and behold, one of mine was half tightened. I brought it home and tried to tighten it more, and the head stripped. Awesome.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
The screws that came with my 256 frame(drop out, bottom hatch,...) are crap too, and they are rusting already.
I have in my todo list to change them.

For now, I try to insure the hex/torx key is well placed, and clean the hole, before tightening.

MTB2223

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
The screws that came with my 256 frame(drop out, bottom hatch,...) are crap too, and they are rusting already.
I have in my todo list to change them.

For now, I try to insure the hex/torx key is well placed, and clean the hole, before tightening.
Yes, they're really crap. Tightened mines this weekend and and almost screw up the head.

blueducati

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
Can I just replace them with any flat head screw of the right size, or are they supposed to be weak so they will break before the carbon breaks?

outriding9800

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:44 AM »
I replaced mine with Phillips stainless screws when i got my bike. I would suggest to keep them stainless for corrosion resistance and stainless is kind of soft so it would probably break before the frame does.