Author Topic: LightCarbon 918?  (Read 23888 times)

Re: LightCarbon 918?
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2023, 04:12:11 PM »
So I figured after reading everyone’s builds and comments before deciding on the 918. Now I have built up mine and had the first ride I thought I would add my feedback.

Main reason I opted for the 918 over the other similar frames was for the 2 bottle bosses and conversations with Jim Lee gave me the most confidence since it’s my first china build.

Build.
918 in medium, I had planned on painting but the finish is so nice I’ve left for now and will paint maybe in winter. Rockshox monarch rear shock midtune.
Wheels- light carbon 30mm xc rims graphine with dtswiss 350hubs
I opted for the xc bar/stem in 70mm for the internal cable routing
Light carbon zero offset seat post
Sid select 120mm 44mm offset
Full XT groupset and brakes, I opted to wax the chain as it’s great on my training bike though it’s the first time on a MTB in the uk so we shall see. Also my only bugbear with the build is I had to buy yet another bb tool as XT is yet another standard…..why?!!!!

No issues with the build itself, frame and components all went together perfectly I did have a spacer missing (I got two external routing kits) from LC but in fairness Jim Lee sorted so it didn’t hold the build up as the wheels were due a week or so after the frame anyway, bb alignment was fine and I didn’t need to chase out threads. Seat post and frame figment seems spot on. I was worried about the headset into bar routing being a nightmare, yes it was more of a pain than external but I think it’s worth it based looks etc and as a bonus you have no issues with cables pulling that others have mentioned. I did opt to add the silicone cable housing to stop rattles.

Build without pedals but with Fidlock bottle cages and comp mount etc came to 10.5kg on a set of calibrated scales from work. Very pleased, I did weigh the frame before build and it was 1.9kg so right on the light carbon spec. Really impressed as there’s plenty of savings available if you went weight weenie with deep pockets for sub 10kg.

First ride was a 40km local xc/trail ride around 800m climbing, bit of everything really, with 18kph average with afew stops.

Ride was abit of a surprise actually, first time for me on flex stays and I was expecting a slightly harsh ride, the suspension is actually quite active not intrusive or enough to notice but it actually deals with the little stuff well, I don’t like faffing with lock out is why I didn’t bother with RL. Climbing wise the bike is good based on Strava times but feel wise it felt similar to my old xc bike but it was definitely faster for the effort on times, where it really shines is out of the saddle, the thing really leaps forward, I will definitely spend more time out of the saddle as it’s addictively fast. Hard to know whether this is down to the wheels or frame but again based purely on both feel very stiff.

Handling and descending was the main shock, I’m coming from old school 130mm xc marathon bike with steep angles for reference but I would describe the handling as “stable”, it will be very confidence inspiring I think once I’m used to it but you definitely need to move about and think about weight distribution more on fast flowing single track but it is rapid when you get it right, some of that maybe down to the 44mm offset forks but the Sids forks are brilliant, super stiff and bendy forks are a massive bug bear for me. My biggest take away is the bike fast smooth and absolutely silent, the second is important to me but I guess maybe not for everyone.

First ride wasn’t without incident and things to work on to add some realism.
I did have a couple of seatpost slips, even with carbon paste, nothing drastic but enough that I stopped to put back, the specs don’t specify the nm of the bolt so I started off on the low side 3nm and have gone up to around 5nm.
Front fork is too hard so going to adjust that down, I’m on 20%sag but it feels too hard.
Using Vitoria mezcals front and rear, front tyres again too hard. I previously rode Conti race kings and the Vitorias are so much better in my opinion but the side walls feel stiffer so I can run lower pressures.
Biggest problem was the comp mount only has one fixing and it came loose twice, rrd two the mount actually fell off, luckily no harm done other than a screen protector doing it’s job but I think a healthy dose of thread-lock.
Bottle boss for 2nd bottle is perfect for my purpose but it’s only suitable for a 500ml in a medium. Main frame could definitely go 800ml.
I didn’t opt for a dropper as I have used and fitted on the old bike but never felt the need really, but if your building this bike i would suggest it’s probably a must, I’m confident/stupid enough to be behind the saddle but you have to be in a precarious position without the dropper for whatever reason with angles on this frame.
Bar/stem is very very stiff which isn’t
a bad thing as such but if your sensitive to vibration it’s not for you, I use soft silicone xc grips but still got alittle of the buzz at the bars, hoping fork/tyre combo tweaks can help. Also the internal routing is perfect for one hose but is a little tight at the bar opening so I am interested to see how easy the cable routing will be if I opt for a dropper. Maybe a good excuse for an axs if I can ever justify the cost.
Rear shock is standard mid tune, I think I will end up re-valving to high compression as to sit on the 20% I’m a over 200psi and I’m not exactly a big guy. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer to run lower pressure.

Vipassana

« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2023, 05:58:48 PM »
Nice build, Peak district XC and thanks for the thorough write up.

I really want to build one of these, but can't really justify it due to the overlap with my Spark. But this thing looks solid and has a lot of neat features.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 06:01:22 PM by Vipassana »

federic000

« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2023, 08:34:41 AM »
hi guys, do you know if this frame has standard UDH or not?

Sorry answer was on previous page
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 02:27:57 PM by federic000 »

vidlee

« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2023, 07:04:40 PM »
I just tried installing a XX SL transmission derailleur on my frame and it's NO GO. The bushing does not fit (opening diameter too small) and the the hanger physically cannot be placed in to the frame with the hanger removed. I'm guessing they did a change up of the hanger middle of production. If your dropout looks like mine, SRAM transmission will not work for your bike.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 07:45:38 PM by vidlee »

carbonazza

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2023, 10:54:03 PM »
I just tried installing a XX SL transmission derailleur on my frame and it's NO GO. ...

Did it come with a UDH mounted on it ?
Did you contact them about this issue ?

tipofafrica

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2023, 07:36:52 AM »
What options are there for standard shocks 165x38? So far I am aware of the Monarch and DPS.

zilcho

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2023, 08:49:40 AM »
What options are there for standard shocks 165x38? So far I am aware of the Monarch and DPS.

I was briefly considering this frame and was curious about the lack of 165x38mm shocks as well. It turns out they are using the older Imperial measurements of 6.5in x 1.5in and just calling it metric. This should give you a lot more options when searching for shocks.

federic000

« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2023, 07:23:34 AM »
Do you know if there will be a 919 soon?

MArbogast

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2023, 02:10:50 AM »
hey! I have already recieve the frame. Everything is great. I am greatly surprise about this brand.

I am new building mtb and I have a question that maybe you could answer me.

I am looking for a rear shock and I see that the 918 has a mount 165*38mm. Otherwise, I see many options in 165*37.5mm, but I am not sure if this measurement would fit the frame. I have already got a reba rl 120mm.

The only model with 165*38 I have found it is Rockshox Monarch.

Crash217

« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2023, 08:04:07 AM »
I've found;

Fox Float for $$$
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/fox-float-dps-factory-rear-shock-standard-6-5-x-1-5-evol-sv-3-position-lever-kashima-coat?variant=39495996506234&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOoryUVTeBYk0IVq4mVmQXktnVFrH_ToNxfa2s7xvAOy_bu4idnrEh1E

Suntour Raidon for less $
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144369890662

hey! I have already recieve the frame. Everything is great. I am greatly surprise about this brand.

I am looking for a rear shock and I see that the 918 has a mount 165*38mm. Otherwise, I see many options in 165*37.5mm, but I am not sure if this measurement would fit the frame. I have already got a reba rl 120mm.

zilcho

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2023, 08:51:17 AM »

Your question is answered literally two posts above. You need to look for 6.5in x 1.5in standard mount shocks

federic000

« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2023, 11:46:23 PM »
I run 790mm from BB center to top of saddle.  Not sure if I had it set in my pictures to exactly that but

Jeff I see you installed the suntour edge lor , how is it ? Any trouble with the bashing kit?
Thx

foxrider123

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2023, 03:40:53 AM »
I found this frame from a local dealer. But it has a different rocker. The shock connection is on single pivot with the rocker and rear triangle. Size of the shock is then longer, maybe 190mm.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 03:44:28 AM by foxrider123 »

federic000

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2023, 06:56:16 AM »
I found this frame from a local dealer. But it has a different rocker. The shock connection is on single pivot with the rocker and rear triangle. Size of the shock is then longer, maybe 190mm.

very nice and neat, i also believe the weakest point of 918 is the 165x38 ammo, well, also the weight can be improved...

jefflinde

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2023, 06:02:01 PM »
Jeff I see you installed the suntour edge lor , how is it ? Any trouble with the bashing kit?
Thx

Sorry for the late reply.  No I have had no issues with the bushings or anything really.  The shock is a bit noisier than a fox but I have gotten used to it and only ever noticed when just plodding along and thinking about it.