Author Topic: Spider mounted power meter advice  (Read 6670 times)

Boybiskit

Spider mounted power meter advice
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
I'm looking at spider mounted power meters and I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences and advice with xcadey, sigeyi or others. It will go with:

- Z Race blade 30mm spindle crank with sram direct mount pattern (i know ill need to replace chainring
- Wahoo Element Bolt computer
- Samsung S9 phone on Android 10

carbonazza

Re: Spider mounted power meter advice
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 11:11:42 PM »
Did you consider the power meters from Magene?
I've installed few of them. The first was more than a year ago, and no problem was reported.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ewsvpmb
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHDNWYj

On my MTB I have a Sigeyi.
But I would probably go with Magene now, they have an excellent service when you contact them through the aliexpress app.

You won't have any compatibility issue with the wahoo.
Not sure about your phone, but probably not either.

Boybiskit

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:48:55 PM »
No... but I will now! Thanks for the suggestion

StiffWeenies

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 02:54:21 AM »
Sigeyi is the best Chinese power meter brand but don't get the Zrace/Sigeyi crankset, the arms have a design flaw where they rub against the spider eventually wearing through and allowing moisture to seep in. Xcadey power meters are unreliable but their crankset is imo the best constructed. The first batch of the new Magene QED crankset had FD clearance issues and needed to be recalled while their old crankset was a bit flexy.

I wanted to pair the Xcadey arms with a Sigeyi spider at first but the arms have this proprietary 5-bolt pattern (SRAM 3-bolt but with 2 extra bolts), not worth the risk trying to install it anyways so I just dropped the idea.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 03:42:37 AM by StiffWeenies »

jcr

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »
I have the xcadey Power-S spider power meter with the zrace RX crank combo since the beginning of the year. Seems to be working ok for me and had a few firmware update along the way. Power numbers seems about right when looking the at  numbers compared to the trainer.

Installation was straight forward minus the bolt pattern offset doesn’t seem right, couldn't get the pin on the chanring to be behind the crank arm. Also the offset of the spider vs. The zrace spider is off by 1mm so needed to adjust the front derailleur

But I could recommend using Xcadey from my experience (sample size of 1)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:57:11 PM by jcr »

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 04:10:13 PM »
We have following Chinese power meters in use:
- Magene left Ultegra crank-arm, without issues. Battery life is OK needs to be replaced every 8-10 months.
- Xcadey 105 crank-arm, was too close to the frame and needed some modification to prevent rubbing, needs to be connected manually every ride. Power readings seem to be OK.

- Magene spider power meter on Shimano Ultegra spider failed after 9 month in use, most likely a failed rechargeable battery. Support from Magene could not help and I got no replacement offered.
- 2x Sigeyi spider power meter for Sram Dub crankset, working without issues so far.

After my experiences, I would go with Sigeyi if you want a rechargeable spider power meter.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:14:26 PM by ChrisB »

Boybiskit

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 06:37:21 PM »
Looks like Sigeyi spider is a good place to start then! Thanks for the suggestions.

Irideslowly

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 08:20:09 AM »
I Bought a sigeyi on ebay. It failed after a few months. Contacted sigeyi and the seller. I had to send it back to China (100$CAD), and they sent me a new one. No issues since.

Nicoloc

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »
Hi all
I pushed the trigger on the P505 from Magene.
Not recived yet...will see ...

Boybiskit

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
After far too much thinking and watching GP Lama reviews, I pulled the trigger on the Xcadey. Let's see how this goes!

Boybiskit

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 03:05:57 PM »
Update: I ordered through Aliexpress rather than Xcadey direct because it worked out a little cheaper. Arrived 3 weeks faster to west coast of Canada than expected. Set up was very easy. One thing to note: unlike speed, power does not show on my Wahoo BOLT until I start a ride or workout.

I've done a road ride and a cyclocross race in the dry and seems to be working fine so far. I have no idea how accurate it is, but will work this out at some point. For now I think it is at least consistent.

jcr

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
unlike speed, power does not show on my Wahoo BOLT until I start a ride or workout.

Did you try spinning the crank to wake up the power meter? Once I have woken it up, my bike computer (non Wahoo) can see it.

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 05:52:54 AM »
Gonna add to this list.
Has anyone tried the Power2Max power meter?

I am going to be trying out the ELILEE XXE carbon crankset /power meter combo.
They are out of Sigeyi,  XCadey is 15 days out, but they have Power2Max in stock
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 05:54:51 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

StiffWeenies

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 08:41:22 AM »
Gonna add to this list.

They are out of Sigeyi,  XCadey is 15 days out, but they have Power2Max in stock

P2M is really good. Very stable in my experience.

Don't get Xcadey. They have a disproportionate number of failures for the few PM spiders they manage to sell. Even the batch allocated to Elilee wasn't free from trouble.

RDY

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Gonna add to this list.

Where are you ordering the ELILEE from?