Author Topic: Interesting Aliexpress finds! - good deals, interesting stuff, new products etc!  (Read 134259 times)

coffeebreak

I can't recommend the carbon Racework crankset anymore, I already broke my 2nd left crank arm and Racework is charging me $43 USD for a replacement.

I think ultralight cranksets and latest Chiner groupsets are two products that I am going to stay away from.

jonathanf2

I think ultralight cranksets and latest Chiner groupsets are two products that I am going to stay away from.

My buddy's SRAM carbon crankset is just as fragile, his crank arm literally fell off during a ride. There's a reason Shimano sticks with alloy. Not to mention the Japanese themselves literally invented 7075 alloy.

BalticSea

My buddy's SRAM carbon crankset is just as fragile, his crank arm literally fell off during a ride. There's a reason Shimano sticks with alloy. Not to mention the Japanese themselves literally invented 7075 alloy.

Sadly, Shimano's cranks aren't bullet proof either

kbernstein

Two things you would never see me order from ali... carbon cranks and carbon cockpits. WAY too many horror stories for such little benefits..

eeney

Prescription sunglasses for cycling.  Saw some threads earlier....

Me and a few friends have bought from this Aliexpress seller (BCCLEAR). They have one set of wrap-around glasses, model TR90 which comes in multiple colours. The TR90 are one size, medium width which is wider than my usual glasses, but I'm very happy with them for cycling, often after a ride I just keep them on for normal use, I just look a bit odd walking around in sports glasses.

If you contact the seller, give them your prescription, then they'll tell you the cheapest/best lenses to purchase from their site.  You order the frames and lenses, the seller matches the two orders , then builds and sends you the finished glasses.

I, and my friends have been very happy with the finished product. We all have prescription, photochromatic lenses at a fraction of the price of big name brands. I think I paid USD $50 for my multi-focal, photochromatic finished spectacles with thinnish lenses.

I'd be interested to know if there were similar options from other sellers.

coffeebreak

Yes, since Ultegra 6800 days there are reports of cranks cracking. I will still bet on Shimano v/s anything comparable on Aliex though. My R6800 and R8000 cranks have been fine but I am not a pro putting down massive watts either.

Two things you would never see me order from ali... carbon cranks and carbon cockpits. WAY too many horror stories for such little benefits..

Helmets too, IMO. However, admittedly I haven't seen any bad reports about helmets on Aliex...its just personal preference.

jonathanf2

As long as you stick to hollow forged Shimano cranksets and not the hollow bonded aka glued. I believe the 12 speed Shimano cranksets are now all hollow forged.

Helmets too, IMO. However, admittedly I haven't seen any bad reports about helmets on Aliex...its just personal preference.

Actually I've been using AliEx helmets. I've gone through 3-4 western brand helmets and fit is always off. Either that or the helmet looks like a giant mushroom on my head. I have an odd shaped head and AliEx helmets are the only ones that fit and look proper. Plus all the negative reports about "fake" helmets are conducted by the PR companies of the helmet brands. They just need to work one time!

Eddy_Twerckx

As long as you stick to hollow forged Shimano cranksets and not the hollow bonded aka glued. I believe the 12 speed Shimano cranksets are now all hollow forged.

Is that why they're like 50g heavier now?

sbellote

'aliex helmets' is a pretty wide range to put all on the same basket.
something that it's clear in this kind of discussion, and this thread is a perfect example, is that there's a big difference between from cheapest aliex parts, to some mid tier parts that are better finished, have a brand name, but are still cheap

I wouldn't use any kind of explicit knock-off/counterfeit helmets, since my concern is that the factory would be much more focused on the appearance than on the integrity of the material. I know the 'it just needs to work 1 time', but it can not work even once if not well designed... I think that argument fits much better the more expensive range

But it's different if we're talking about some name brands, you have Cairbull which uses knock-off designs but at least has CE approval, or brands like SunriMoon and PMT which are bigger, have their own designs (although many are just famous designs with slight changes), and even go to bike shows. Not the cheapest, but still good prices

jonathanf2

Is that why they're like 50g heavier now?

I believe so. Also they increased weight of the 12 speed 105 crankset, because the 12 speed Ultegra crankset now weighs the same amount as the 11 speed 105 crankset.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 11:54:18 AM by jonathanf2 »

jonathanf2

Lexon/Ryet brought back their first low priced 3D printed carbon saddle, but now in white and selling for sub $50 USD. Just make note they also sell it with plastic base:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805023659024.html?

Greenred

For prescription glasses, I got the kapvoe with prescription and photochromic lense. Works like a charm. Only the prescription insert could be a bit bigger.

BalticSea

This is a nice looking mech

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrvGXkw

carbonazza

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804815422658.html

Thank you for the longer term review and the screw advice!
What pedals do you have there? They look nice and light.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 02:34:06 AM by carbonazza »