Author Topic: Anyone buy from kingbike888 on ebay? Looks legit...  (Read 1614 times)

pearl

Anyone buy from kingbike888 on ebay? Looks legit...
« on: January 24, 2023, 08:26:49 AM »
Found this while browsing for a new gravel wheelset, seems to have positive reviews and I can't find any negative things online... Anyone have any first hand experience?

https://www.ebay.com/str/kingbike888

carbonazza

Re: Anyone buy from kingbike888 on ebay? Looks legit...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »
They sell their rims at the usual price between $140-$280 each.

So a wheelset at about $400 probably have poor quality spokes/nipples and hubs.
You get what you pay for, and if you don't ride a lot you may ride them happily for years ;)

It is like an optional insurance.
If you buy from a seller with a good reputation, it will be more expensive, but you are covered in case of troubles.
Here... maybe, maybe not.

patliean1

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
So a wheelset at about $400 probably have poor quality hubs.

What aspects make for poor hubs: Weight, durability, less ratchet engagement, serviceability, weather sealing?

All of the above lol?

00Garza

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:09:15 PM »
Found this while browsing for a new gravel wheelset, seems to have positive reviews and I can't find any negative things online... Anyone have any first hand experience?

https://www.ebay.com/str/kingbike888

I'd strongly recommend buying a wheelset that tells you all the specs in case you need to buy replacement parts later.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:39:55 PM »
What aspects make for poor hubs: Weight, durability, less ratchet engagement, serviceability, weather sealing?

All of the above lol?

You may have a light hub with great ratchet engagement, not sure about the rest  :)
But Chinese builders are improving and will catch up one day.

pearl

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 01:23:59 PM »
I have CX3 hubs on another bike and they have been solid for 2 years and 3 different bikes…

Also, based on the eBay reviews and amount sold, I haven’t heard anything bad about them, so I’d say that they have a good reputation?

jcr

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 06:07:40 PM »
Looks like they carry superteam wheels. I have two sets of Superteam wheels with the Powerway R13 hubs. One set is 3-4 years old and my second set has 1year on it, both is still going strong. A little heavier compared to other wheels like Elite but they have been solid.

Friend also have a set that is 3 years old without issues.

Bought mine Ali and Amazon for around the same price.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 10:51:50 AM »
Km or miles are more important than years, but you look all happy.
I'm sticking to brands like DT-Swiss, or Novatec but a bit less, because many times, I had to switch the end caps or the freehub for some people wanting to move their wheels to another bike.
But for many a wheelset will stay with the bike, and Chinese hubs are probably now more reliable than before.

00Garza

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 11:33:49 AM »
I just found a princessbike seller on eBay that carries SuperTeam wheels. I wonder if they're related.  ;D

jcr

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:01 AM »
The first set I have probably around 9K km on it and the second set around 2K km.

I had the option to choose Novatec or Powerway Hubs and Ih heard more people perfer the Powerway Hubs over navatrc for reliability. Powerway Hubs are also lighter too. Getting spare freehubs was not a problem, picked one up for around $35. Bearings can also easily be ordered through bearing suppliers.

Why not order from AliExpress? They have a store there. You might have more option to customize colour, finish, etc. Through their Ali store. If you are going with Powerway R13 hubs, see if you can request for the 6 paw over 3 paw free body. Sounds a lot better too.

pearl

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 08:51:26 AM »
The fact that the wheels are already US based, hell also on Amazon, makes me feel better that if I have any issues I can return them. I had to return a set of ICAN wheels on Amazon and it was great, no issues at all...

TCal

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2024, 11:12:30 AM »
I have bought two sets of wheels from them. On set of 60mm deep rims I have had for over 5,000 km. No issues. The included Novotech hubs are pretty basic, serviceable. 

jonathanf2

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2024, 11:39:07 AM »
The fact that the wheels are already US based, hell also on Amazon, makes me feel better that if I have any issues I can return them. I had to return a set of ICAN wheels on Amazon and it was great, no issues at all...

They also sell Elite Drive wheels on Amazon Prime. They were on discount during Cyber Monday, though not as much as AliExpress. You do have the added layer of Amazon buyer protection.

pearl

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2024, 01:59:07 PM »
I ended up buying these and they have been rock solid, used for gravel races with 45mm tires, on the road with 35mm slicks, straight and true.

electrolux

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 04:33:36 PM »
I ended up buying these and they have been rock solid, used for gravel races with 45mm tires, on the road with 35mm slicks, straight and true.
which particular one did you get?