Author Topic: Speedsafe wheels ZiTTO 36T ratchet hubs = SHITE/TRASH  (Read 2123 times)

mirphak

Speedsafe wheels ZiTTO 36T ratchet hubs = SHITE/TRASH
« on: January 25, 2023, 10:39:40 AM »
So I got these to replace my Mavic crossmax elite (aluminum) based on the recommendation from a friend. And what a mistake I made.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002879132400.html

Sure, they are more lightweight, but they are super noisy (not sure if it is the ratchet, the spokes, the hub), like a screamy cat who wants food all the time. Very annoying.

Plus the hub, that ratchet 36T crap ... oh lord. The bearings were completely gone after a few weeks of light use (despite the grease).

The worst part is that I contacted the seller, which claims to be the 'Official SPEEDSAFE store' in aliexpress, and they stopped replying when I send them the pictures of the hub and a video showing how bad they are.

Really horrible experience with Speedsafe, at least through their aliexpress page. Quite the contrary to the Elitewheels wheels I have. I ordered ones for my gravel bike and have been using them for more than a year. They are in mint condition, the hub (Powerway CX32) is absolute fantastic and the bearings are nice Enduro ones, so they are likely to last.

In Summary: DO NOT BUY these (or likely any other wheel) from SPEEDSAFE.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:55:22 PM by mirphak »

00Garza

Re: Speedsafe wheels ZiTTO 36T ratchet hubs = SHITE/TRASH
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 10:50:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently looking for wheels for a gravel bike and Elite looks like the go to for value and dependability.

The link you posted sent me to a wheelset that says novatech hubs. Did you get a custom set or is the link not working for me.

acedeuce802

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 11:45:22 AM »
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2961.0.html

Check out the thread here for more info on the hubs.  Many have had issues with the hub internals, including myself.  Mine sheared off the internal splines that hold the ratchet, but was able to replace it with a genuine DT part.  I would say the hub housings are low risk, so these should only be considered if people are willing to replace the bearings and drive ring with genuine DT parts, and if it still makes sense cost wise.

Sucks to hear about SpeedSafe though.  They're the only ones I've bought my rims from, and a few of my riding buddies bought some complete wheels from them (both with the same ZTTO hubs) and no issues from our side other than a cracked rim.  This cracked rim was on a root at the bottom of a really high G valley that has claimed many many cracked rims before.  SpeedSafe was responsive and offered a discount to replace the rim, although not much of a discount.

mirphak

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Sorry, wrong link.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002879132400.html

These ! these should be avoided at all cost. I have also friends with the same hub and it is crap.

mirphak

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:58:34 PM »
Sucks to hear about SpeedSafe though.  They're the only ones I've bought my rims from, and a few of my riding buddies bought some complete wheels from them (both with the same ZTTO hubs) and no issues from our side other than a cracked rim.  This cracked rim was on a root at the bottom of a really high G valley that has claimed many many cracked rims before.  SpeedSafe was responsive and offered a discount to replace the rim, although not much of a discount.

I believe the seller blocked me on aliexpress. 20 days and they just don't read anymore my messages.

acedeuce802

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 01:03:32 PM »
That is shitty.  I was planning on ordering some rims from them soon, but may look towards Elite/BTLOS/LightBicycle instead.

mirphak

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:05:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm currently looking for wheels for a gravel bike and Elite looks like the go to for value and dependability.

The link you posted sent me to a wheelset that says novatech hubs. Did you get a custom set or is the link not working for me.

The model I bought was excellent. They don't offer it with the Powerway CX32 hub, pity because I am so far really happy with them.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4001058319675.html

mirphak

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 01:13:45 PM »
I'm starting to get the conclusion that in AliExpress:

- All 'original' parts are not original. Shimano is a clear example. Their pedals, chains, casettes are all fake.
- What is original costs actually more than in Amazon and most local stores ... .
- All knock-offs or 'inspired' products are shite.
- Everything that includes 'moving parts' or bearings is crap. One exception I found are stone pulleys ... these are actually fine and their steel bearings are decent.
- Everything that includes ceramic bearings is a huge shite.
- Non-branded carbon parts are usually fine (handlebars, frames, rims, forks), but there are some lemons too.

00Garza

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »

- All 'original' parts are not original. Shimano is a clear example. Their pedals, chains, casettes are all fake.
- What is original costs actually more than in Amazon and most local stores ... .
- Everything that includes 'moving parts' or bearings is crap. One exception I found are stone pulleys ... these are actually fine and their steel bearings are decent.
- Non-branded carbon parts are usually fine (handlebars, frames, rims, forks), but there are some lemons too.

Chains are known for counterfeits, even on amazon or ebay. Haven't tried my luck with cassettes.
There are some genuine oem shimano products you can find on Ali, but they'll be priced accordingly.
I have yet to trust chinese hubs. I don't think the quality of aluminum is there.

Do you have a link for the stone pulleys?

mirphak

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 03:15:32 PM »

Easily faked Shimano parts like chains or clipless cleats are definitely an issue but it’s pretty hard to fake most of their other components. A lot of what you see on Ali is takeoffs from new bikes, or otherwise diverted from channels meant for Asia rather than the US. Lots of it is perfectly legit but of course caveat emptor.

Not everything that saves money over domestic prices is fake — you’re saving money mainly because you’re willing to wait ~6 weeks instead of 2-5 days. But it’s true that a lot of what used to be unique to Ali is now available on Amazon or at least eBay with little or no difference except shipping time.

You’re right about ceramic bearings. And bearings are definitely the weak point of many of the products we discuss on this board so it’s wise to only buy things that have at least a little user experience reported here.

I would be eager to hear about cases of clear Shimano/SRAM fakes — cleats I’ve experienced (from Amazon!) but nothing else. Then again I’ve been very selective in my purchases, and buy most things domestically or from my LBS when I can get there/afford to.

mirphak

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 04:21:40 PM »
XT pedals (which cost almost the same as in Amazon for instance) are fake. They rust easily, they cannot be taken apart (parts are glued together), and they develop play really early on. There are even comparisons over internet and yes, they are fake. I assume other components are the same.

Example:

or
or
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:26:58 PM by mirphak »

coffeebreak

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 09:43:48 PM »
Those fake chains are actually cheaper on eBay with free 3 day shipping and are getting cheaper. I ordered one about 2 months ago for $18. Ordered one for $11 yesterday. Same for VG sports and other Chinese chains on Aliexpress that go anywhere between $15 to $30 but take a month to deliver are on eBay for same price but with 2-3 day shipping.