Author Topic: price increases  (Read 1994 times)

promoto

price increases
« on: February 12, 2023, 05:05:56 AM »
I haven't been on Aliexpress for a while and I was shocked at the prices, I managed to get every thing I wanted on ebay and Amazon cheaper and with fast delivery , Looks like the Aliexpress bubble has burst

TidyDinosaur

Re: price increases
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 12:34:11 PM »
Yeah, the good times are behind us. Most of it has double or tripled in price over a couple of years...
Maybe a Vietnamese or Indian version will rise up in the future

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 01:27:13 PM »
Most of it has double or tripled in price over a couple of years...

As far as I have been tracking, in general, prices haven't gone up all that much.

Reviewing items I purchased between 2020 and end of 2022,  on many of the items I purchased, today's price is at most 35% more.  Several items I purchased last year, are actually priced 10% to 20% less than I paid for them 6 months to a year ago.

The Seraph Carbon gravel frame I purchased in 2019 is the exact same price today as when I purchased it.  Except, now they are charging shipping of $100 versus free, so this could count as a 20% price increase.

I hope that with the glut of of parts on the market in 2023, we will see more price drops.  (I see bicycle clothing that is already priced less than I paid in 2021 and 2022, with free shipping.)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:59:57 PM by Tijoe »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 02:33:50 PM »
Ah yes, maybe I am generalising too much. It's mostly the cheaper stuff that has gone up in price. Free shipping has also become rare. That is something I don't understand since shipping costs must have really dropped since the corona crisis...

Tijoe

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 04:40:54 PM »
I believe that shipping container costs are back down to around $2,200 for a 40 ft container.  In Jan. 2019, the same container cost $1,900, peak was around $11,000 in mid 2022. 
My understanding is that prices for higher volume commodities being shipped to the US are falling again.  For bicycle parts, in the USA, there is a growing glut of parts/bicycles where importers paid very high prices to get the parts sent here, and now they are sitting on a lot of bike parts where they have too much money invested. Thus they are trying to keep sale prices higher as long as they can to try to recover their investments.  This will probably balance out, as competing importers bring in new parts a lower costs, forcing others to reduce prices and get rid of their inventory.
For us, who like to purchase bike parts directly from China for our personal usage, Chinese stores monitor our prices here, and raise and lower their prices, because like us, they want the largest profit they can make.   
I see this every year on Aliexpress,  January through May they try to raise prices and see what sticks.  Then they have their summer sales. Then prices go up some until around Nov. Dec. when they have their supposed end of year sales.

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 07:22:16 PM »
Quality and variety have also increased.

coffeebreak

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 01:24:45 PM »
Little bits and pieces are super expensive on Amazon so I get those from Ali-Ex. Some of those things aren't even available locally or on Amazon, so China is the only option. Who is going to sell me 10 pieces of tiny dust caps for $2 with free shipping? Only Ali-ex lol. On the other hand, consumables like chains, sprockets, brake pads are same or lower priced than Ali-Ex but with free 3-4 day shipping on eBay so that is my go to for those.

That being said, I do feel many items are increasingly needing paid shipping compared to earlier times.
I don't have a problem paying some amount but I steer clear of items that ask for same amount for shipping as the item itself or sometime more than the item. Moreover, what I have seen is that paid shipping is pretty useless from Ali-Ex. Most of my paid shipping items came in 3 weeks like any other free shipped item. The sellers are pretty much making money from shipping charges to make up for lower prices and just using the cheapest, slowest shipping possible that other free shipping sellers use.

Tijoe

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 01:55:59 PM »
From my perspective, I pay the least total amount for the items I want/need balanced with how fast I need the item.  Usually the faster you get it, you typically pay a premium.   So when I look for something from Amazon, or E-bay, I often see the same items as is being sold on aliexpress. (Perhaps with a different logo on the item.)
If the item being sold on Amazon is being shipped from China, it is typically the same price as I find on Aliexpress.  If the item is stocked and shipped from the USA, I usually have to pay 5% to 10% more for the item, but I get is in 3-5 days versus 3 weeks from Aliexpress. 

If an Amazon store stocks an item, they have to increase prices some to cover their inventory and handling costs.  Sometimes, if the Amazon store, or Amazon purchased a large quantity of the item, then they get a big enough discount from the Chinese manufacturer that they can sell the item for less.   My iGSPORT iGS630 bike computer came from Amazon, on sale, for about $60 less than any Aliexpress store has it listed for, plus, 4 months later no Aliexpress store actually has them in stock.  Only the iGS620 version.

I too purchase many small bulk items from Aliexpress that I find are so much more expensive via E-bay or Amazon.   Sometimes I get a lot of 100 parts from Aliexpress, where they are the same price on Amazon for qty=10 or 25.