Author Topic: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame  (Read 35211 times)

Honda118

Re: Airwolf YFR068 - 2023 Gravel Frame
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2023, 06:28:16 AM »
I'd rather have a designed solution

Honda118

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2023, 06:30:31 AM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_wqccum0bcw?si=GEtYRQVITP37LDmO" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2023, 06:31:19 AM »
I'd rather have a designed solution

I get that. What has been the response of Airwolf been until now?

Jim.de

« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »
Any washer/spacer that has a cut won’t work, it will get pushed downwards and therefore pushes on the bearing from the inside.

Was the same with the spacer I received.

Honda118

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
Airwolf has not responded VERY frustrating - we need new forks I think.

Honda118

« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2023, 02:09:40 PM »
This is the email I have for Airwolf - anyone have a different email?

wernerwei@yaoflying.com

Honda118

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2023, 02:10:38 PM »
LOL on https://airwolfcarbonbike.com/

"Welcome to our store.If have any problem,please contact Werner Wei"

Honda118

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
https://airwolfcarbonbike.com/contact/ I guess phone next? Then credit card dispute if no help??

Honda118

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2023, 06:37:41 AM »
They got back to me:

"Hello Dear,this is not the problem of the fork,it is that the cap from the fork and frame is so narraw,i will send you one spacer.which can work for this condition"

Honda118

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2023, 06:40:32 AM »
I responded:

Ok remember the spacer but be for the fork type see:

NOT the type you sent other buyers see:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 06:42:27 AM by Honda118 »

fanfarlo

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2023, 04:26:04 PM »
Hi all, a bit of a summary and ride impression from my end after doing the first kms on the frame:

Buying & Shipping
Bought via ebay. In total waited about 8 weeks for the frame to arrive. A bit longer than I expected. It was sent a few days after I asked when it will arrive, so maybe it was just forgotten
Packaging was well done nothing to complain here.

First frame impressions

• The paintjob looked really nice. I wanted something close to the Cannondale CAAD13 purple and it matches really well. (The picture  below does not reflect the color very well, its more like shown by Airwolf)
  • All parts came inside the claimed weights.
  • The internals looked OK. No spider cave. (Also I had no obstacles when doing the internal routing.)
  • The paint on the fork crown was removed (maybe the fork fit issue). The seatpost could not be fully inserted (more than enough clamping length is there)

Build: Mainly 2nd hand components
  • Ultegra / RX810 mix Mechanical 2x11
  • Easton ec90sl crank with 46-34
  • Elita seatpost (wanted a post without offset)
  • Wheels Mfg (didn't use the supplied one )
  • Prime wheels (upgrade in progress  ;D)
  • 8.2kg without pedals + bottlecages

Tolerances
  • Had no issue with the lower end fork frame fit. Its tight but no rubbing.
  • Had to file down the dust cover very slightly because it rubbed against the frame, Now it fits well and looks good.
  • Needed to file the compression plug a tiny bit. The fit between stem and plug was too small so that the stem did not move over the plug.
  • Bottom bracket fit felt good (not too tight not too loose)
  • Wheel alignment seems to be good, brake orientation also OK.
  • I had a slipping seatpost. Needed to shim it. I think the main issue is the seatpost clamp which doesn't have eough clamping distance (air gap too small). The fit of the seatpost itself down in the tube felt OK.
Honorable mentions
  • The front derailleur hanger seems to be made for min 50 chainset. For my 46 the lowest setting is a bit too high
  • Also the chainline does not work perfectly with the GRX front derailleur , but this might be a problem of the Easton crank
  • I think the wrong stem size was delivered (100mm instaed of 90mm). Asked Airwolf for a replacement.

Ride Impressions
Impression based mainly on a comparison to my Giant TCX (cyclocrosser) using the same wheels - tyres. Forward setting of front wheel (not sure if this can even be changed without a brake adapter)
  • Calmer and more quite ride. Not sure if this is just the difference between Aluminium and Carbon, but the frame dampens the road / gravel buzz better than the TCX
  • Corners very predictable - Less twitchy than the TCX, but not slow.
  • Feels a bit faster on straights, especially on good gravel roads without huge potholes. I think mainly due to the good damping. I seem to be marginally faster on a few KOMs
  • Less stiff, mainly the front end: I think the culprit is the stem, which flexes torsionally quite a bit. I'm not a Watts monster and it doesn't bother me while riding even when sprinting. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.
I like the ride of this frame. It doesn't feel too aggressive to me, but also not dull or boring. As said its not the siffest frame. Maybe nothing I would recommend for a 100kg guy stomping up 30% gravel roads if the supplied stem is used. 
[/list]

Overall would I buy it again?
Yes for the frame that I got: Sure, tolerances were not all great, but I was able to fix everything without a file and a few stripes of aluminium. The paint job looks brilliant, it rides well and it did not break the bank. However, the story might be different if I got one of the frames with the lower headset issue.

Honda118

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2023, 05:22:26 PM »
fanfarlo - excellent report. Would you mind posting a photo of what you mean by "paint was removed" for the lower fork area?

"The paint on the fork crown was removed (maybe the fork fit issue)."

Honda118

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2023, 07:05:53 AM »
Here is what Airwolf emailed me:

"Hello Dear,this is the same fork,just that when paint,there have some paint on the fork,so that the fork with frame distance is small,we have modify the model already,it will don't have this problem again."

I wonder if that is why your folks had paint sanded off? Pic would be great.