Author Topic: Thoughts on Panda Podium?  (Read 4916 times)

00Garza

Thoughts on Panda Podium?
« on: April 25, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »
If you follow chinese components you're probably aware of Joe's channel on youtube (China Cycling) and his upcoming venture Panda Podium. https://www.pandapodium.cc/coming-soon/

What are your thoughts on it? Is he just going to be a middle man? Could he be the customer service solution we've all been wanting? Will this forum disappear into obscurity once he launches???!!!!  ;D

TidyDinosaur

Re: Thoughts on Panda Podium?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 03:36:06 AM »
If you follow chinese components you're probably aware of Joe's channel on youtube (China Cycling) and his upcoming venture Panda Podium. https://www.pandapodium.cc/coming-soon/

What are your thoughts on it? Is he just going to be a middle man? Could he be the customer service solution we've all been wanting? Will this forum disappear into obscurity once he launches???!!!!  ;D

With rising prices on those Chinese components the last few years, what we do not need is a middleman to add some more to those prices...

svanimpe

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 08:14:56 AM »
Yeah. I already have a local distributor for some Chinese factories, but I don't see the point of paying 30% more just to have my frame slightly faster.

kbernstein

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 08:57:20 AM »
Hyped for the products you can't find on aliexpress already. If if's even a cent more expensive than ali, not interested. I rarely mind waiting a month (but it's never that long to europe anyway)

s3si1u

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »
That's exactly what he will be, a middle man. No different that some others on here have already done or attempted, just with much easier access to the products we actually want. 
Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. He may be banking on the "cycling 100 sucks" and "Aliexpress is too slow" situations we see quite often and looking to solve those issues. The reality is, most of these items are already available if you're patient/know how to weasel around and import stuff. I'm very excited to see his offerings, maybe some products we REALLY don't know about??
But as others have said, I'm not looking to pay more. I don't mind waiting or finding my own middle man. :)
Instagram: @aerosloth

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »
I could see it useful for people who are scared of AliExpress, but those people would probably just stick with their LBS and big name brand parts. I think a list of Gold/Silver rated AliEx sellers and top rated frame/wheel vendors would probably be a lot easier and cheaper with direct links to their AliEx store or website.

final forum

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 03:31:48 PM »
I'm just pumped for the L-Twoo ERX groupset. wonder when its going to be released. So tired of my Sram Force.

00Garza

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
I'm just pumped for the L-Twoo ERX groupset. wonder when its going to be released. So tired of my Sram Force.

I've seen it on Aliexpress recently, but I can't find it now. Either all sold out for now, or got pulled for some reason.

Edit: found a link
US $673.92  50% Off | ERX Disc Carbon 2 * 12 Speed Highway Oil Pressure Electric Transformer Carbon Fiber Manual Rear Shift Electronic Front Shift
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msUVVKk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 10:29:29 PM by 00Garza »

coffeebreak

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 08:19:35 PM »
There are some brands listed on that website which I had never heard before, so now I can visit this website and then search on Alix lol. I don't need no middleman. I prefer experimenting and wasting my money on my own.

dsveddy

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 11:05:31 PM »
Given that I've recently had some issues with failures & warranty on high-end Chiner parts, and getting burned by aliexpress dealers, I definitely see a market for PP helping facilitate high-end sales. There's a lot of brands selling stuff that rivals elite-tier western-market parts (Cybrei, Seka, Magene, Farsports, Craft, EXS) but at that point you are reaching deep into the pockets.

In the past (for me any way), the psychology driving my strategy for buying Chiner parts was that perceived risk of getting a dud part was high, so the price needed to be cheap enough to mitigate loss aversion. But this mentality caps how much you're willing to spend on parts, and in turn, limits maximum quality that is marketable.

If you can have some assurances that the dealer will have integrity/good service, and will work with you on warranty issues, then you're going to increase how much money people are willing put on the line.

Wet Noodle

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023, 04:36:59 AM »
If you can have some assurances that the dealer will have integrity/good service, and will work with you on warranty issues, then you're going to increase how much money people are willing put on the line.

I get that reasoning, but for me as a European customer, I don't see pandapodium scoring higher in that regard than ali. If the R&R policy refers to warranted returns due to severe product flaws (and not just sending stuff back for funsies), it's kind of crap (maybe different from the lottery with ali sellers, but crap still). Unless I just didn't find it, there is no mention whatsoever of import duties/tax, which is a huge deal (add customs + ~20 % import tax + highway robbery fees from the delivery company ... or not, nobody knows, because not telling).

Now, I'm not saying it couldn't turn into something really good, but, as of now, it's mostly the same stuff for slightly more money (or significantly more depending on the import-duties thing) because trust me bro.

s3si1u

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 11:18:49 AM »
Now, I'm not saying it couldn't turn into something really good, but, as of now, it's mostly the same stuff for slightly more money (or significantly more depending on the import-duties thing) because trust me bro.
This right here is so important. They sell more or less what I already buy from AliExpress with a small premium added on top.
I'll admit, they sell some really cool, head turning, high end stuff like the Cybrei cranks, Sixwheel cassette, fancy wheelsets, etc. But at those prices I'd rather buy the Western equivalents or custom wheels from Farsports, LB, etc.
Instagram: @aerosloth

PLA

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 09:15:55 PM »
With rising prices on those Chinese components the last few years, what we do not need is a middleman to add some more to those prices...

Well said
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.