Author Topic: Where to start: Touring Gravel Bike for 4' 10" / 147cm height Rider  (Read 586 times)

HelioWanderer

Hi - I'm looking to replace my partner's stolen touring bike modern carbon gravel bike setup for enduro/touring.

My current find: cwind GT30 bike for $600 - $700 frame

I'm honestly overwhelmed by all of the options out there, and I'll take any pointers, suggestions, or leads. I want to stay away from a custom geometry frame.

Requirements:
- Hydro disk brake compatibility
- 12 speed

Plans:
- 1x12 eTap group set
- shallow and flared dropbars
- 650b wheels

eeney

I personally went with a custom built Titanium bike from Waltly - see the metal frames section.  Slightly more expensive than carbon frames, but I was attracted to the ride quality, durability and strength of Titanium for touring and gravel.

So I ordered a bike with a gravel geometry, but with bosses for all racks and mounts.  To finish it I have 35 degree flared bars and two sets of wheels (700C wheels with wider road tyres + 650B wheels with 50mm gravel tyres). By swapping wheels I basically have two very different bikes.

With the frame Waltly provided me their 'standard' option, which just happened to be very similar to another premium brand frame. With custom, you could take geometry from any bike webpage and provide it to Waltly to recreate. As part of the build you can also get personalise pattern or text on the frame by using shiny v matte finish... I forgot to take advantage of this.

For me getting a good frame was important, then I saved money by going Rival mechanical groupset... easy enough to upgrade the groupset later.

Pedaldancer

What about this frame? It's shorter, but higher
http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=1066

Then Carbonda offers the 505 again, slightly adapted in geometry. It is not yet on their webpage but you can order it.  the "classic" one is here, to get an idea http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

I have a 505... it's a very nice bike.