Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 155938 times)

Fleckinger

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #975 on: July 25, 2024, 01:01:22 AM »
This doesn't bode well for LTWOO in the Western market:

https://youtu.be/kPgnPGX-gs4?t=3473

Timestamp is at 58:00, Jesse Coyle recounts his experience on ER9.

What I do find slightly odd, is that LTWOO had plenty of notice that he was going to be building up his bike with the ER9, so they could have provided him with a bomb proof groupset, but obviously they didn't - water and dirt ingress and now he doesn't trust it, just like pretty much everyone else who have put out YT reviews.

And again this "we fixed it in the new version", I hear it every time, and groupsets continue to die.

toxin

« Reply #976 on: July 25, 2024, 04:40:58 AM »
Yeah, they really dont give a shit

kubackje

« Reply #977 on: July 25, 2024, 05:03:19 AM »
They had all the things in favor, all the momentum and shit and they blew it up. That may be one of the worst fails by a big company I've seen.

raisinberry777

« Reply #978 on: July 25, 2024, 05:55:00 AM »
And again this "we fixed it in the new version", I hear it every time, and groupsets continue to die.

Yep. What a load of crap - continuously "we've fixed it" when they clearly haven't.

Avalius

« Reply #979 on: July 25, 2024, 07:53:53 AM »
I'm affraid to sell my bike with this group on because what if the person after me has issues lol..
So far it's been bombproof even in pouring rain etc, fingers crossed but it's really good.
My main bike now has 105 di2 just because of the fear that something would happen.

Could always tell the wife I need two bike. Because the gravel doesn't count as backup since it has wider tyres lol
"You can't be sad while riding a bicycle."

amacal1

« Reply #980 on: July 25, 2024, 09:03:50 AM »
I mean... there is maybe some hope from this video. I was intrigued that they are making these changes and updates to it but not selling it. They are apparently still "working out the bugs" with it but not doing it to the buying public. But, it's boneheaded for them to have sent a work-in-progress with known issues to someone who was making internet videos.

jonathanf2

« Reply #981 on: July 25, 2024, 09:34:56 AM »
I have 2 ER9 groupsets and had a few bug. Took apart both systems to figure out the problems and managed to fix all issues. All my cable connectors are rubber cemented in with dielectric grease and I use alloy chain catchers. I'm not a particularly good bike mechanic, but even I've been able to get two of these ER9 systems to work properly. I clean my bikes after each ride and rotate my immersive waxed chains on a regular basis to keep the drivetrain spotless.

Also I just don't ride my road bikes in the rain. I go straight to my mechanical gravel bike when it comes to wet or rainy weather. Maybe it's just this younger generation that can't figure s**t out. They go straight to cry baby mode when any minor problem occurs! Lol

boxof13

« Reply #982 on: July 25, 2024, 09:57:00 AM »
I have 2 ER9 groupsets and had a few bug. Took apart both systems to figure out the problems and managed to fix all issues. All my cable connectors are rubber cemented in with dielectric grease and I use alloy chain catchers. I'm not a particularly good bike mechanic, but even I've been able to get two of these ER9 systems to work properly. I clean my bikes after each ride and rotate my immersive waxed chains on a regular basis to keep the drivetrain spotless.

Also I just don't ride my road bikes in the rain. I go straight to my mechanical gravel bike when it comes to wet or rainy weather. Maybe it's just this younger generation that can't figure s**t out. They go straight to cry baby mode when any minor problem occurs! Lol

I too have two eR9 sets and have been suspiciously running well. I hope I don't jinx it.

Sometimes I am also amazed at how clueless most people are on basic bike maintenance. Though in all fairness, people who are willing to try LTWOO systems must be at least somewhat comfortable tinkering around the bike. LTWOO definite still have some works to do.

jonathanf2

« Reply #983 on: July 25, 2024, 10:35:02 AM »
I too have two eR9 sets and have been suspiciously running well. I hope I don't jinx it.

Sometimes I am also amazed at how clueless most people are on basic bike maintenance. Though in all fairness, people who are willing to try LTWOO systems must be at least somewhat comfortable tinkering around the bike. LTWOO definite still have some works to do.

I have no doubt there are bad groupsets out there and that LTwoo's weather-sealing is subpar. Though why would anyone who's willing to pay over $1k USD for a frameset and probably more $$$ for a wheelset use a budget electronic groupset? At minimum I'd get 105 Di2 or Force AXS. LTwoo and Wheeltop at this point is for budget DIY'ers willing to figure things out while drinking a beer at midnight on the bike stand!

From my observation using this system, this is how I'd rate the reliability of LTwoo ER9/X components:

1. Brake calipers are surprisingly good though their proprietary mount sucks. At least you have the option to use Shimano mineral oil calipers.
2. Shifters are solid, tactile feedback isn't great, but they work. No real issue there.
3. Battery holder w/springs does the job, but needs to be properly secured in seat post.
4. FD is okay, not as good as Shimano. I'd use a chain catcher for added insurance.
5. Battery cables are flimsy and need additional weather protection. Room for improvement.
6. Most if not all issues from this groupset are from the RD going bad which is also the brains of the entire system. At least spare RDs are currently available for purchase.
7. Batteries. This will either make or break the entire groupset. Spend more than $10 USD and get something good.

I'd definitely use gear protection at all times and I'd only turn it off when fine-tuning the bike. 34t is the biggest I'd go on the cassette and only with a 50-34t.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 10:36:53 AM by jonathanf2 »

kubackje

« Reply #984 on: July 25, 2024, 11:45:15 AM »
Maybe it's just this younger generation that can't figure s**t out. They go straight to cry baby mode when any minor problem occurs! Lol

You surely have to be talking about ltwoo engineers here right lol

jonathanf2

« Reply #985 on: July 25, 2024, 01:12:03 PM »
You surely have to be talking about ltwoo engineers here right lol

What's there to complain about? I have 2 electronic groupsets that can run 7-13 speed cassettes which cost $350-400 USD a piece. Even if one of the RDs go bad, the overall cost is still less next to comparable systems if I need to get a replacement RD. The same situation could occur if I dropped or crashed a Di2/AXS equipped bike and needed to replace a component. On the plus side, I'm not locked into any cassette speed, forced to use DOT brake calipers, buy proprietary flat top chains and I can use off-the-shell rechargeable 14500 batteries.

Again, if someone needs weather-durability, either stick to mechanical or spend the extra cash for Shimano or SRAM. It's already been established buying any of these AliEx/overseas components have risks associated with them. A little forethought and risk prevention/assessment goes a long way.

amacal1

« Reply #986 on: July 25, 2024, 01:48:25 PM »
On the plus side, I'm not locked into any cassette speed, forced to use DOT brake calipers, buy proprietary flat top chains and I can use off-the-shell rechargeable 14500 batteries.

Again, if someone needs weather-durability, either stick to mechanical or spend the extra cash for Shimano or SRAM. It's already been established buying any of these AliEx/overseas components have risks associated with them. A little forethought and risk prevention/assessment goes a long way.

It's easy to lose sight of the potential. Yes, there are some issues that are still being worked out. Is it ready for primetime? Maybe not.

But... the things you just pointed out are true. It's kind of wild that you can use any cassette of any kind and dial it in. I'm not locked into HG or XD or microspline when selecting cassettes or wheelsets. I'm not locked into any particular ANYTHING. Maybe don't have this on your race bike, but this is a wild tool to have in your garage for fitting up a muggle bike build.

I think Wheeltop has the slight edge with the full wireless setup and the option for rim brakes. My mind goes to WEIRD places when I think of the fun I'd have with one of those setups. Some nasty slick old steel bike builds. Or, my personal favorite thing to dream about, a cheap steel or aluminum tandem build. What wheelset does it come with, how many speeds, where do you run the wires? NONE OF THAT MATTERS.

kubackje

« Reply #987 on: July 25, 2024, 04:30:22 PM »
What's there to complain about? I have 2 electronic groupsets that can run 7-13 speed cassettes which cost $350-400 USD a piece. Even if one of the RDs go bad, the overall cost is still less next to comparable systems if I need to get a replacement RD. The same situation could occur if I dropped or crashed a Di2/AXS equipped bike and needed to replace a component. On the plus side, I'm not locked into any cassette speed, forced to use DOT brake calipers, buy proprietary flat top chains and I can use off-the-shell rechargeable 14500 batteries.

No complaints, just a laugh from a clown

lantz

« Reply #988 on: July 26, 2024, 11:10:58 AM »
LTwoo and Wheeltop at this point is for budget DIY'ers willing to figure things out while drinking a beer at midnight on the bike stand!

Excellent.

Sebastian

« Reply #989 on: July 28, 2024, 03:16:57 PM »
4000+ k now on my er9.
I did a 220km ride today which started in pretty awful rainy conditions and I had wet roads/road spray and grime throughout. I must say after all these stories I am a bit anxious that at some point I’m gonna click the button on the shifter and nothing happens. But it keeps working just fine, no matter what I put it through.

Edit: Sorry for the pic from the NDS. I was pretty spent when I shot this. ;)