Author Topic: Shimano groups on AliEx  (Read 2546 times)

Eddy_Twerckx

Shimano groups on AliEx
« on: June 24, 2023, 07:09:43 AM »
What's the consensus on ordering Shimano groups on Ali Express? Has anybody actually ordered and received one? Are they real or knockoffs?

00Garza

Re: Shimano groups on AliEx
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »
I've never ordered a whole group, but I've one shifters and derailleur and they were the real deal.

If you're getting a whole group, I'd make sure chain and cassette are not fakes.

coffeebreak

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 12:09:34 PM »
I have not ordered road group but I have ordered a handful Shimano MTB groups (M5100, 6100, 7100, 8100 shifter only etc) and they all came finely packed but without Shimano packaging. There are usually cheaper versions and more expensive version of the same group - cheaper ones come with Chinese cassettes and expensive ones come with Shimano cassettes. The chain though is hard to tell if its knock off. I am using (knowingly) a knock off chain and its been fine. One time I even got KMC X11 and again I couldn't tell if it is fake - worked well.

The shifter, derailleurs, cranksets (and even the 12 speed Microspline hub cassettes) are definitely original. I have not heard those being faked yet. I have also ordered MT410/510/6120 brakesets and all have been fine.

As of today, I am waiting on Shimano Cues U6000 groupset and will update how it turns up. It was split and shipped in two parcels. I got one parcel yesterday which contains just the crankset. It looks legit with all the Shimano markings, exceedingly good finish with shrink wrap all around (like you will get in original Shimano box) but just not outer blue box. Packed with some heavy duty material too. It was some random new shop and I am surprised how well it was packed and how fast it was delivered (8 days).

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »
I highly doubt any Shimano shifter/derailleur/crankset is fake on AliEx. Shimano supply is just cheaper and easier to get in Asia. You'll see bike builds with hard-to-find components in Indonesia and the Philippines. The lower end, non-critical components like chains, cassettes and disc rotors might be fake, but even then it could be the contracted factory working after hours.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 07:34:33 AM »
I've ordered so much stuff on AliX. As soon as you receive it, have a very close look. Install it right away on a bike (I think you have 14 days) and make sure it works. If you can prove it's fake, or prove it's broken or what not, you'll get your money back.
AliX is now doing what Ebay has always done: offering buyer protection.
Are fake FD / RD / shifters a thing?

Specialf.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 06:33:57 AM »
but really the original shimano components are cheaper on aliex?  I have always only bought small counterfeit things of little value.

kbernstein

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 06:37:48 AM »
They can be yes, because they don't come in the box and are (contract breaching?) OEM stocks bought in bulk

bremerradkurier

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 09:49:43 AM »
For those of us in the US, AliX pricing isn't all that much lower than Merlin in the UK who has much faster shipping.

coffeebreak

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
True. And when Merlin has sales it gets even better. Right now good ol' 105 R7020 is $622, free shipping no tax etc to USA..this will be better than any Chiner hydro group. I while ago they were blowing full Ultegra R8020 for $720 or something. Aliex has one advantage in that you can order bits and pieces separately with free shipping on almost everything, where as on Merlin the shipping calculation is somewhat mysterious. I could never find exact threshold which will land me free shipping.

curvenut

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 10:51:33 PM »
I've ordered so much stuff on AliX. As soon as you receive it, have a very close look. Install it right away on a bike (I think you have 14 days) and make sure it works. If you can prove it's fake, or prove it's broken or what not, you'll get your money back.
AliX is now doing what Ebay has always done: offering buyer protection.
Are fake FD / RD / shifters a thing?

buye protection does not work. I bouhgt 2 ultegra chain, and found out that they are fake.
Aliexpress did not  give my money back , Ali express protect its seller.

Serge_K

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 12:39:26 PM »
buye protection does not work. I bouhgt 2 ultegra chain, and found out that they are fake.
Aliexpress did not  give my money back , Ali express protect its seller.

It usually works for me, I've had refunds on a lot of things.

japjoe7

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 07:22:54 AM »
True. And when Merlin has sales it gets even better. Right now good ol' 105 R7020 is $622, free shipping no tax etc to USA..this will be better than any Chiner hydro group. I while ago they were blowing full Ultegra R8020 for $720 or something. Aliex has one advantage in that you can order bits and pieces separately with free shipping on almost everything, where as on Merlin the shipping calculation is somewhat mysterious. I could never find exact threshold which will land me free shipping.

Ugh...Merlin has some good prices. Too bad they Don't ship Shimano/Sram to the US.

00Garza

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 09:49:05 AM »
Ugh...Merlin has some good prices. Too bad they Don't ship Shimano/Sram to the US.

They don't? I've bought a shimano cassette and brakes from them. No issues shipping to US.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2023, 10:58:18 AM »
They don't? I've bought a shimano cassette and brakes from them. No issues shipping to US.

I bought a complete Ultegra Di2 groupset in Feb 20 from them with no issues and didn't even end up with a bill for customs duty even though the price was a few hundred over the USD 800 limit.

japjoe7

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 07:08:31 PM »
Few Sram items I selected won’t ship.

Edit: Added a few different brands, looks like it’s just Sram that won’t ship.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:14:42 PM by japjoe7 »