Author Topic: wheels for larger tire widths  (Read 1004 times)

flyedf

wheels for larger tire widths
« on: July 05, 2023, 07:45:35 AM »
looking to go beyond 28c width.  tried mounting 32c on carbon wheels i received, but it seems like if you don't have the internal width, it's not going to work?  the side wall seam is uneven, and so the height is higher at different points on the wheel.  I used a 28-45c tube.  any recommendations for wheels for gravel size tire widths?

hahel

Re: wheels for larger tire widths
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 08:12:08 AM »
looking to go beyond 28c width.  tried mounting 32c on carbon wheels i received, but it seems like if you don't have the internal width, it's not going to work?  the side wall seam is uneven, and so the height is higher at different points on the wheel.  I used a 28-45c tube.  any recommendations for wheels for gravel size tire widths?

This really should not be an issue, MTB riders use tires way wider than the rim.
But i've had problems with some tire/rim combinations where the tyre wont be seated correctly, maybe try streching the tyre before mounting or some lube (soap) between the rim and tyre and then pump it up.

00Garza

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
What's the internal width of the wheels you're currently using?
Narrow rim and wide tire will give the tire a bulb profile which some people don't like, but it should be able to mount without too much trouble.

flyedf

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 06:49:32 PM »
19mm.  i thought it wouldn't be a problem either, but it seems like road wheels don't like anything beyond 28c. 

zilcho

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:23:18 AM »
Before wider rims existed there was no other option. I've mounted 38mm Gravel King SKs on 19mm inner rims and they survived the flint hills of Kansas without issue. This is likely a mounting issue unrelated to the inner width.

flyedf

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 10:16:41 AM »
what width rim tape did you use?  my carbon wheels didn't have any tape.  maybe the 18mm tape I used was too wide

Serge_K

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 02:44:19 PM »
Any recommendations for wheels for gravel size tire widths?

In 31-32mm wide wheels:
Farsports 32.33mm wide rims (wave series). Pretty light, pretty affordable if you ask nicely.
EIE, Light Bicycle, BTLOS have heavier rims that are not cheaper. Light bicycle makes lighter versions of their rims but the weight limit is 90kg which i find a tad scary.
Nextie: still waiting for a quote. EDIT: Nextie is EXPENSIVE. Even after haggling, they're higher than Farsports, yet their rims are either same weight or heavier, they use their own brand of hubs so it's hard to tell what you're getting, and their rims look V shaped more than U shaped, which as far as i know is a big no-no for crosswinds.
Winow quoted me a cheap price but it's really a 28mm wide rim, not 31 (21mm internal when the others are c.25mm)

I'm buying sets now, I plan to go with Farsports (have ordered several times from them over the years, can't really fault them).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 12:42:17 PM by Serge_K »

00Garza

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 02:04:04 PM »
In 31-32mm wide wheels:
Farsports 32.33mm wide rims (wave series). Pretty light, pretty affordable if you ask nicely.
EIE, Light Bicycle, BTLOS have heavier rims that are not cheaper. Light bicycle makes lighter versions of their rims but the weight limit is 90kg which i find a tad scary.
Nextie: still waiting for a quote
Winow quoted me a cheap price but it's really a 28mm wide rim, not 31 (21mm internal when the others are c.25mm)

I'm buying sets now, I plan to go with Farsports (have ordered several times from them over the years, can't really fault them).

Farsports has a solid reputation and long track record. I’m happy with my BTLOS wheels on my mtb. I’ll probably go with them again for gravel wheels, though I’m a bit confused on their all road/gravel options. Last I checked, they’re all road wheels are wider than their gravel wheels.

donavanm

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 05:22:05 AM »
19mm internal width is fine. Until 5-10 years ago youd be very hard pressed to find a 700c rim with more than 19-21mm internal width. Ive dont heaps of cyclocross/touring/etc on 19-21mm rims with 32-45mm tires.

It seems like the current trend in "wide" road tires, ~28-32mm, is to have the tire be 1-2mm wider than the *outside* rim diameter. On carbon rims this is a tire thats ~8-10mm wider than the inside diameter. This is more "aero" and matches the tire width well to the modern inside diameter. eg A rim with ~24mm ID would be ~31mm OD and match a ~32-33mm gravel or rando tire. More realistically 21-23mm inner rim would "match" with 28-30mm tire widths butcould certainly go larger. *DO NOT* go with a tire thats narrower than the rim width.

> what width rim tape did you use?  my carbon wheels didn't have any tape.  maybe the 18mm tape I used was too wide

I suspect your tape wasnt even inside the rim, or teh tire beads didnt sit correctly. Your tape should be ~5mm wider than the internal rim width to account for the spoke bed divot. You want the tape to come up on the bead seat, at the very edge of the internal rim, and have the tire bead sit on the rim tape. Wrestling with the tire sidewall or going up to he max pressure to get beads to sit correctly is a timeless tale.

For myself Im using 25mm inner rims with a beadhook for 33-38mm "all road" tires which are really just light casing tubeless  tires with a a file tread.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 10:42:16 PM »
...It seems like the current trend in "wide" road tires, ~28-32mm, is to have the tire be 1-2mm wider than the *outside* rim ...
Interesting. Did the 105% rule expired?
Where did you learn about this?

... *DO NOT* go with a tire thats narrower than the rim width...
28mm tires on 32mm ext rims seems to work fine, what is the issue?

flyedf

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 04:57:26 PM »
@ donavanm the 18mm tape covered plenty - i thought it might be too wide.  my internal width is 19mm