Author Topic: Carbonda 505SL Integrated Stem  (Read 15184 times)

Kactusdog

Re: Carbonda 505SL Integrated Stem
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2024, 06:05:37 PM »
Each time I'm asked for one, I try to convince the rider to consider electronic shifting  8)
A definite no is cable disc brakes. Hydro brakes are easier to work with and require a fork with an internal hole.

Shifting needs a bit more care, there will be some additional turns in your hose, which add friction. Avoid sharp curves as much as you can.

Yes thank you! I am more so looking at how I will be altering the ritchey cap port for two lines in one port with rubber grommet.

hsaus

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2024, 07:46:23 PM »
Yes thank you! I am more so looking at how I will be altering the ritchey cap port for two lines in one port with rubber grommet.

The inner rubber grommet can be removed, to give you more space to run gear cables. No idea what kind of shifting quality you will get with this type of routing though.

Kactusdog

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2024, 08:10:09 PM »
The inner rubber grommet can be removed, to give you more space to run gear cables. No idea what kind of shifting quality you will get with this type of routing though.

Well, yes it can be removed, but that defeats the purpose of a form fitting rubber piece to insulate from liquids. Those who have used this system would be more familiar with what I am talking about.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2024, 01:53:13 PM »
Each time I'm asked for one, I try to convince the rider to consider electronic shifting  8)
A definite no is cable disc brakes. Hydro brakes are easier to work with and require a fork with an internal hole.

Shifting needs a bit more care, there will be some additional turns in your hose, which add friction. Avoid sharp curves as much as you can.

And that's the best advice. Try to route it as smooth as possible on the complete frame. The entry point on the steerer instead of the side of the frame does not really change a lot.
Even if you route through a handlebar it can work really fine. However this routing creates a lot of pain for the build process itself  >:(
If I would go for a 505SL with mechanic 2x drive train I would enter the hoses into the top cap. Which is almost invisible then, but you don't have to fight with the handlebar.

Kactusdog

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2024, 03:24:00 PM »
And that's the best advice. Try to route it as smooth as possible on the complete frame. The entry point on the steerer instead of the side of the frame does not really change a lot.
Even if you route through a handlebar it can work really fine. However this routing creates a lot of pain for the build process itself  >:(
If I would go for a 505SL with mechanic 2x drive train I would enter the hoses into the top cap. Which is almost invisible then, but you don't have to fight with the handlebar.

Got it! Yes, I am definitely looking at routing the way Canyon does their new Grail as seen here: https://escapecollective.com/2024-canyon-grail-cf-cfr-slx-gravel-bike-review/

Pedaldancer

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2024, 05:57:21 AM »
Got it! Yes, I am definitely looking at routing the way Canyon does their new Grail as seen here: https://escapecollective.com/2024-canyon-grail-cf-cfr-slx-gravel-bike-review/

That's exactly the setup I would prefer for a mechanic groupset.
Almost invisible but less pain in the build process. But get a decent headset.. changing the bearings is connected to disconnecting everything  ;D.

jakonodi

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2024, 03:59:14 AM »
Hi, I made a lot of miles or kilometers as we say in Germany on the 505SL an I really like the bike. I just struggle to find a nice cockpit. Looking for one piece, 400/100 with 12-20 degrees of flare. Any suggestions? I am a bit scared to buy the one on ali as it as a crucial safety component and I want to avoid risks. Has to be ACR compatible and no Metron/Vision.

Cirion

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2024, 03:38:50 AM »
Hi everyone, first post here, nice builds!

I have a 505sl on the way. I have a few questions to which Carbonda's answers were not realy clear.

I chose the version with internal routing. Carbonda's description is as follows: “If you choose internal routing, the frame needs to use internal routing fork and it will have cable routing holes at the headtube”.
I'm not sure to understand. Is there a hole in the steerer tube? Is it possible to use other systems than FSA ACR, or does it have to be ACR compatible? Not being limited by ACR compatible components would open up the stem options for my build.

According to carbonda the rotor size would be 140mm (160mm with adapter) at the FRONT and 160mm at the REAR, is this correct?

Thanks for your answers

gints

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2024, 05:04:58 AM »
I just completed by Carbonda 505SL Transmission Mullet Build last weekend. Very much in a rod going guise while living in Singapore, and will get a gravel wheelset for when I return to Australia.

Carbonda Frame, Seatpost, Integrated Handlebars and Integrated Headet
SRAM Force 1x Quarg Cranks
SRAM XO AXS Transmission Derailler
SRAM Eagle 10-52 Wide Range Cassette
SRAM Rival Levers/Brakes
SRAM Dub T47 Bottom Bracket
Elitewheels Edge 65mm Carbon
Continental GP5000 30mm Tires with TPU Tubes
Look X-Track Carbon Race Pedals

Came in at 8.0kg all up, which I was impressed with, given I was never really focusing on weight.

I am not very experienced with servicing/building bikes, but I am pleased with how it's turned out. Bar tape needs some work but I'll live with it until I have another reason to take it off! Any questions just ask.

Early days, but I am impressed with the Carbonda parts. Well packed, very well painted, no defects. Mostly road riding for now, feels good, comfortable, fast, looks great.

One question - does anyone know if any where else sells compatible headset spacers (for under the stem)? I got the schematic from Wing for 3D printing but no means to do that, and its a lot of shipping for such a small and cheap part, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with a compatible brand/design - I just need another 10mm to relax the position a bit.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 04:55:41 PM by gints »

ElRey

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2024, 06:04:40 AM »
Hi

Good luck with the build. Yes the fork has a hole I. The steerer tube for the front brake hose to exit (and then through headtube). The rear hose and gear cables if you use them will feed through the frame (downtube) and then into and out from headtube.

You don’t have to use an ACR system if you change the headset supplied and don’t use Carbonda’s bars (both of which, plus spacers are ACR type). Just make sure you get the right size headset (see my previous post). I think others have used DCR type full internal and integrated, for instance. Or you could you could get a semi internal headset so the cables come out of the headset leaving you free to choose any type of stem and bar - but arguably this kind of negates the point of getting the internally routed frame option in the first place.

(Thinking out loud - I guess it’s possible you could use the ACR headset with a custom spacer that provides compatibility between an ACR headset and another type of integrated bar, but I’ve no idea if such a thing exists. Others may know.)

Hope that helps.
Ben

Hi everyone, first post here, nice builds!

I have a 505sl on the way. I have a few questions to which Carbonda's answers were not realy clear.

I chose the version with internal routing. Carbonda's description is as follows: “If you choose internal routing, the frame needs to use internal routing fork and it will have cable routing holes at the headtube”.
I'm not sure to understand. Is there a hole in the steerer tube? Is it possible to use other systems than FSA ACR, or does it have to be ACR compatible? Not being limited by ACR compatible components would open up the stem options for my build.

According to carbonda the rotor size would be 140mm (160mm with adapter) at the FRONT and 160mm at the REAR, is this correct?

Thanks for your answers

Cirion

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2024, 05:14:36 AM »
Hi, thanks for the precisions.

I'm planning to use Sram AXS components (only two brake lines and no cables).

As the steerer tube has a hole, then I think I'm not limited to the ACR system (where the stem seems to be designed to allow the front brake line to pass through the inside of the steerer tube from the top). This opens up my possibilities, and I guess I should be able to use, for example, the Deda DCR system or a Ritchey comp switch stem with the fitting headset.

My idea was to be able to test different stem sizes at first before settling on an aero handlebar/stem of the right size.

About brake rotors, do I need a 140mm to 160mm adapter for the front or the rear (front according to carbonda)?

Thanks a lot!