Author Topic: Replica Factor Ostro VAM  (Read 13062 times)

canadabike93

Re: Replica Factor Ostro VAM
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2024, 11:10:02 AM »
What wheels are you going to run with it?

Serge_K

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2024, 08:24:08 AM »
Everything is ordered so the waiting game has begun and I can piece this "thing" together. My expected weight is around 7 kg

Hello Tsunami, difficult to take pictures form the inside.
I did my best though, I'm not sure where you saw those bad pictures of the frame internals from this particular seller.

You can check them below.

That doesn't look too good. It doesn't look like the layers are especially well compressed. Looks very different from the inside of Oralmaster's frame. I hope he's a dentist, btw, or brushes his teeth a lot.
Didn't come from the same seller, right?
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

BeR

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2024, 08:38:40 AM »
That doesn't look too good. It doesn't look like the layers are especially well compressed. Looks very different from the inside of Oralmaster's frame. I hope he's a dentist, btw, or brushes his teeth a lot.

How do you see that ? Around BB ? I want to learn.

estingo

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2024, 03:25:11 AM »
What wheels are you going to run with it?

In the end, I ordered the Elite Drive 65D wheels. so they will arrive within 20-30 days.
Also, I installed the Rear derailleur and bottom bracket, the Brake calipers, and brake hoses through the frame, and steering wheel. I added the Wheeltop shifters to the steering wheel and connected the cables. Cut in the end 20 gram from the tube from the front fork to fit. The Deda compression plug looks nice and sturdy on the steering handle as well.

The correct chainring with 52t arrived, but I don't have the correct chainring bolts yet for a 1x setup, ordered them. Same for the 8mm open-end wrench, I have it but I want to strengthen them with the right amount of force so I bought an adapter for my torque wrench, to have the brake hoses tighten with the oil pressure screws with a torque of 10-12 Nm.

I checked the pictures of Oralmaster's frame and compared it to mine, however, I can only see the thread of the bottom bracket from him and compared to mine not really the inner layers. That it doesn't look good, is of course not what I would like to hear but maybe you can explain and educate us a bit like BeR also said in the comment, I also would like to know at what are you looking to compare to make such an comment.
On your question, There are different sellers for this frame and I think he has the one with the more expensive frame, his parts look also different then mine (he has more quality I think, that why I replaced them for better stuff), seatpost wedge, compression plug, headset bearings. 

OralMaster

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2024, 12:48:25 PM »
Did you take some pics of the inside of the frame?
There are some quite bad pictures of the internals of the frame on the Aliexpress seller you mentioned.

i just managed to retrieve the photos that seller took before shipping out my frame, and for me to pay the balance to him lol…

Serge_K

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2024, 01:05:50 PM »
How do you see that ? Around BB ? I want to learn.

Disclaimer: i'm not a carbon expert, it's just my (hopefully) educated guess.
Caveat: we're looking at fakes here, not OEM, not chinese brands, so i'm being extra paranoid.

The carbon inside oralmaster's frame (dude, that's so cringe to write every time, i'll call it the white factor) looks laid very flat, very neat, very tight, it's so neat my reaction was "can i live in it?"
The carbon in the other one looks nothing like that. there are lots of lines (presumably because it's not EPS moulded and the bladder inside left excess resin or something like that), but more worrying to me, it doesnt look like the carbon is laid up tight, at all. it all looks wavy inside with creases and dimples and what not.
Does it matter? probably not. Would i buy the 1st one? Yes. Would i buy the 2nd one? No. Your mileage may vary.

BeR

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2024, 01:08:59 PM »
Caveat: we're looking at fakes here, not OEM, not chinese brands, so i'm being extra paranoid.

The carbon inside oralmaster's frame (dude, that's so cringe to write every time, i'll call it the white factor) looks laid very flat, very neat, very tight, it's so neat my reaction was "can i live in it?"
The carbon in the other one looks nothing like that. there are lots of lines (presumably because it's not EPS moulded and the bladder inside left excess resin or something like that), but more worrying to me, it doesnt look like the carbon is laid up tight, at all. it all looks wavy inside with creases and dimples and what not.
Does it matter? probably not. Would i buy the 1st one? Yes. Would i buy the 2nd one? No. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks a lot.

estingo

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2024, 02:01:39 PM »

Makes perfect sense to me now with the pictures side by side, thanks a lot.

Tsunami

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2024, 02:16:41 PM »
i just managed to retrieve the photos that seller took before shipping out my frame, and for me to pay the balance to him lol…

Looks really neat. Just out of curiosity, would be interesseting to see a legit OSTRO from the inside to compare the looks. That checkerboard pattern looks special, have never seen it on the inside of a frame before.

SWeiden

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2024, 03:10:51 PM »
Looks really neat. Just out of curiosity, would be interesseting to see a legit OSTRO from the inside to compare the looks. That checkerboard pattern looks special, have never seen it on the inside of a frame before.

That checkerboad pattern is spreadtow carbon fiber, basically unidirectional carbon fibers lightly woven together, with one benefit being easier to laminate. Its also usually very light.

jinaaa

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2024, 03:13:10 PM »
Hey guys , got a Factor Ostro Frame (with no Logo on it, since i just like the way it is but i don't want it to scream FACTOR) and i wanted to ask if you did change something when you got the Frame from Aliexpr. should i move along with the same headset and bearing? did it have any play in it? (asking cause i did build a VB R 177 Last winter, and it had a play despite even getting a new C Ring from Velobuild) or you had to order something else?
IF so maybe changing the expander plugs (any recommandations on which one to order)?

i want to order them already , so that i can go on with the Build project when the Frame arrives.

what about the bottom bracket ( Will build the Ultegra Di2 on it).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 09:18:05 AM by jinaaa »

OralMaster

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2024, 04:15:51 PM »
Hey guys , got a Factor Ostro Frame (with no Logo on it, since i just like the way it is but i don't want it to scream FACTOR) and i wanted to ask if you did change something when you got the Frame from Aliexpr. should i move along with the same headset and bearing? did it have any play in it? (asking cause i did build a VB R 177 Last winter, and it had a play despite even getting a new C Ring from Velobuild) or you had to order something else?
IF so maybe changing the expander plugs (any recommandations on which one to order)?

i want to order them already , so that i can go on with the Build project when the Frame arrives.

what about the bottom bracket ( Will build the Ultegra Di2 on it).

mine was a good tight fit with no play, when i shove the compression ring in, the fork was held firmly without any need to secure the fork to the frame. for the bb type its T47A, there shouldn't be any issues since the bb shell is pre threaded before bonding with the frame (i think)

estingo

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2024, 12:36:30 AM »
Same here, no play in the headset, I received the headset bearings also with the frame but I opted for getting other headset bearings (hambini) but for head set bearings I think it’s not worth it in the end. The compression ring I bought a factor original one and I replaced the compression plug for a deda.
Same as Oralmaster the bb is T47A I got one from Cema with ceramic bearings but every T47A will fit.

I have now another problem were I had to disassemble the whole bike as the brake hose twisted and broke. When I checked it was my partial my fault and Wheeltop, the hoses has been used before and I damaged them with the handlebar because I place them 2 times through it because I forgot the headspacers the first time. When putting the compression screw on torque the cable ‘broke’ internally. Where I can’t rely on anymore. Just figuring out now which oil pin and olive head wheel top uses.anyway happy days. Have a good weekend everyone

Serge_K

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2024, 03:24:15 AM »
Fwiw, i had a really, really bad experience with First-Class Carbon Fiber Store, the store that made that pretty white factor.
Over the years, i've dealt with a lot of chinese sellers. This one is sketchy AF.
I was considering buying an unbranded frame (to then add my Tractor logo on top myself with vinyl) because I was curious to get a product with such a high finish, and to compare it to my LT268 that costs a fraction of the price, so i started asking questions.
I asked a lot of questions to which i already knew the answer to, and nothing made sense. The guy spent a lot of time shitting on the whole industry, with only him being reputable and knowing what he's doing. He pushed back on every technical question i asked with something along the lines of "trust me bro".
Basically all his answers were red flags.

My 5 cents: stay the F away. I wish i could block sellers / shops on AliX in order to never see their products again in my feed & search results. Would be a great feature to have.

OralMaster

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2024, 04:00:16 AM »
Fwiw, i had a really, really bad experience with First-Class Carbon Fiber Store, the store that made that pretty white factor.
Over the years, i've dealt with a lot of chinese sellers. This one is sketchy AF.
I was considering buying an unbranded frame (to then add my Tractor logo on top myself with vinyl) because I was curious to get a product with such a high finish, and to compare it to my LT268 that costs a fraction of the price, so i started asking questions.
I asked a lot of questions to which i already knew the answer to, and nothing made sense. The guy spent a lot of time shitting on the whole industry, with only him being reputable and knowing what he's doing. He pushed back on every technical question i asked with something along the lines of "trust me bro".
Basically all his answers were red flags.

My 5 cents: stay the F away. I wish i could block sellers / shops on AliX in order to never see their products again in my feed & search results. Would be a great feature to have.

"spent a lot of time shitting on the whole industry", not sure if he's referring to the entire bike industry or the fake frame syndicate in china. but seems like the same dude i've dealt with, basically saying his stuffs albeit more expensive than other fakes, is much better.