Author Topic: Currently riding a Spur...Looking for a dedicated XC race bike. FM909 or?  (Read 1781 times)

MilRob

I am currently riding a Transition Spur.   I built it frame up and weights 25 lbs.   Looking for a dedicated light weight race bike with lock outs for some xc racing.    FM909 or what else should I be looking at?    I like the geo numbers of the FM909.   Just a little undecided on sizing between L and XL.   6'1 and riding a XL Spur.   

Thanks

federic000

i can't figure out why a Spur user needs something more, what are you missing from it? lightness?

zilcho

I'm 6'2" on a size L FM936 (nearly identical geo to FM909) with a 60mm stem and think it is perfect. I'll be building a size L FM909 in the new 120mm spec in the next month or so. As far as other options, the LC918 isn't as aggressive in geo and uses an older spec, shorter travel shock. Spcycle has a new 120mm XC/downcountry frame but they seem to have mixed reviews on their design choices and quality, plus its new and untested. Carbonda has a proven record and the FM909 is a well tested platform.

acedeuce802

In my use case and preference, the FM909 has a pretty steep seat tube angle for XC racing.  I've got an FM936 and absolutely love it as an all-arounder.   But most of my XC races are fairly low elevation and aren't very gnarly.  The race I care about is smooth enough that I don't run a dropper, it's about 32 miles and 1800 ft ascent, lots of two-track, smooth singletrack, etc.  For those types of races, I keep my LCFS911 around, the only downside in my opinion compared to other name brand frames is weight, it's about 2100g in large (without shock), compared to 1300-1600g for the high end name brand frames out there.  When riding my FM936 hard on flat ground, I definitely feel like I'm right over the BB with a lot of weight on my hands, it's when I get into the steep stuff that the bike feels perfect.  If your races have lots of steep climbs and/or are chunky, the FM909 is probably perfect. 

Counterpoint, your Spur frame should be about 400-500g heavier than an FM909 frame.  Is 1 lb enough to make a difference in your races?  Do you have desire to keep the Spur as a 120/120mm downcountry bike with burlier tires while having the FM909 as a 100/100mm bike with XC race tires?  As 25 lbs, I'm guessing the Spur is already built up as light as possible, what do you really think you'd gain by building up an FM909?  Do the shock/fork on the Spur have ability to convert to lockouts?

BruceJR

I've never ridden a Spur but I think you are right to think it's not ideal for cross country racing. Not if you are really serious about getting your best times anyways.  It's quite a bit heavier than other name brand bikes you might want for cross country use.  Most notably the Epic Evo, is lighter and much more efficient pedaling. Not sure what China frame would really get you into the Epic Evo level but the Evo and or the Spark are probably the gold standard in the category.

zilcho

Yeah, the Spur might only be 120/120 like the latest downcountry frames but it is definitely more of a "light trail" bike.

federic000

Btw I’m expecting the fm909 with 120mm rear triangle to weigh more than what is declared in their website today isn’t ? In the light of weight the SPCycle is the most promising frame currently

MilRob

The two main races I do are 37 miles 3200 ft climbing and 23 miles with 1600 ft of climbing.   To be honest the Spur is a wicked fast bike.   I think it just really suffers standing up and climbing and in the tight and twisty sections.   I have thought about keeping the Spur and just adding a dedicated race bike.   I really cant get my Spur any lighter without going to some exotic brakes and other minor tweaks or taking the dropper off.   I have pretty much shaved all the weight off of it that I can.   

I have also thought about just selling it for the new pivot mach 4, orbea oiz, or ibis exie.   

BruceJR

Keep the Spur, invest in a rear shock with remote lockout and some lightweight wheels with Berd spokes. I have Berd spoke wheels and in my opinion they are fantastic.

jefflinde

Keep the Spur, invest in a rear shock with remote lockout and some lightweight wheels with Berd spokes. I have Berd spoke wheels and in my opinion they are fantastic.

No comment on the XC-ness of the spur but I am a huge fan of the Berd spokes.  I have only had them build up my rims/hubs so I cant speak to their branded wheels but I can say that their spokes make for awesome wheels.  light weight and the damping from the spokes is actually noticeable in the rough stuff.  even roots and sharp edged hit have a bit less bite. 

BruceJR

Re: Currently riding a Spur...Looking for a dedicated XC race bike. FM909 or?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »
It makes the most sense to build your own wheels using Berd spokes vs buying them built up by them IMO. I sort of assume this forum is for DIY'ers mostly anyways.

MilRob

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 06:57:22 PM »
My wheels are 1240 grams right now.    Not sure how much weight I would actually drop with just the spoke change.   

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 11:15:34 PM »
My wheels are 1240 grams right now.    Not sure how much weight I would actually drop with just the spoke change.

With carbon spokes you can get 1050g wheels
I'll try Berd ones on a next build to test the damping

KonaMooseman

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 11:07:43 PM »
I´m thinking about the same change.
Currently riding a Spur and also had a FM936 before. The Spur is not what you want to ride for XC races! Mine is more heavy and a bit more on the trail side. I use it for my everyday rides where I do not need the Enduro.
The FM936-SL I had cracked after 160km. Received a replacement frame but I was not convinced any more! Then I bought the Spur, which is way more Trail Bike as the 936!
Now I´m thinking of giving the 936 a second chance, switching to a 909 or even go for an Epic (evo) because the Spur is not what I expect from a XC bike.
Will probably not sell the Spur, just want a light, but modern 120mm XC bike additional.

Eneen

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 06:35:59 AM »
With carbon spokes you can get 1050g wheels
I'll try Berd ones on a next build to test the damping

Where to get carbon spokes for straighpull hubs?