Author Topic: Best and worst overall quality/value components/tools/gear from AliExpress?  (Read 16190 times)

jonathanf2

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832844876284.html

I currently use these plastic bottle cages on my road bikes. I've given up trying to chase grams and prefer preserving my water bottles. There's minimum scratching compared to carbon-on-plastic. Also they're quite secure.

For gravel I use magnetic bottles. I use these because even with plastic cages, the fine dirt/grit in my area will scratch the bottles regardless. The bottles themselves are really basic. Though I've only had one drop, because I didn't secure it properly. You have to make sure you hear the magnetic "click" sound when mounting back in position. They're non-insulated, so if it's hot in your area I recommend you freeze your bottles the night before.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805780401542.html

kubackje

I'm in need of new bottle cages so this interests me much...
do these carbon ones, recommended above, scratch the bottles? My only experience with carbon cages was one of those Bontrager XXX knock-offs, and while it held the bottle well it just left it all scratched, maybe because it was too tight, but I also believe it was a case of rough edges on the carbon.
I moved to Elite Cannibal bottle cages, the nylon one which is already pretty good at <30g each, but the price on these ones right now is just insane, at least here in Brazil.

Another one I was interested is this Xoss N2 one in nylon, seems pretty good price/weight relation

Those look the same like the one I've got from decathlon on my road bike. They are not bad. For gravel I've considered elite cannibals but went for RACEONE ZIKO and they are 10/10.

paldo

Senicx crankset is great also, especially with the DUB spindle..

Tijoe

Do these carbon ones, recommended above, scratch the bottles?

I haven't noticed scratches due to removing and replacing the bottle in the cage.   But, my water bottles take a beating on my gravel and mtn bikes.
When the contents of the bottle are cold, and I ride the trails, dust sticks to the bottles.  The dust works like sandpaper and leaves black marks on the bottles. I don't care, because water bottles are consumable items.

Eddy_Twerckx

I don't care, because water bottles are consumable items.

Yea, I can't say I've ever cared if my bottles get scratched. They give them out like candy at a lot of places I shop so I have a box full of them. I have some larger 1L bottles I bought a few years back that have some wear, but it doesn't affect the use of the bottle. I see them like cleats. They're going to take a beating and I expect to replace them at some point.

nickobec

Second what others have recommended
Uno alloy stems
RideNow TPU tubes (36g in use, 24g waiting to try)
YBN chains (all my bikes run waxed YBN chains, including run about ratbike)
Rhinowalk bags (gym, handlebar, top tube and seat roll in use, quality is excellent)
XXX copy bottle cages (no worse at scratching bottles than other brands and more reliable than other brands, ie don’t break or eject bottles)

To add
Uno alloy handlebars, both road and gravel and my flared gravel bar has seen abuse.
MZYRH flat pedals
Wellgo red cleats (exactly the same as Favero and Powertap cleats)
Zeray ZP-110 look keo compatible pedals
AOlikes headband, sits under your helmet and silicone gutter stops sweat getting in your eyes.
TPU folding flask - make your own gels 250ml worth and stick it in your back pocket
Generic HR bands for Garmin HR, a consumable product but lasts as long as gamins, cheaper and comes in a range of colours.
Generic alloy computer mount (Garmin or Wahoo) with GoPro mount underneath that mounts to your handlebar with hinge.
Deemount tubeless sealants injectors
Deemount side loading bottle cages
Cheji cycling kit (just need to be aware pricing fluctuates madly)

To avoid
Generic alloy computer mount that mounts to your stem with two bolts, cracked too many to recommend
Plastic computer mount with GoPro mount underneath that mounts to your handlebar, again cracked too many.
Replica/copies/cheap cycling kit, especially bibs with the multicoloured 5D pads.

PLA

Second what others have recommended
Uno alloy stems
RideNow TPU tubes (36g in use, 24g waiting to try)
YBN chains (all my bikes run waxed YBN chains, including run about ratbike)
Rhinowalk bags (gym, handlebar, top tube and seat roll in use, quality is excellent)
XXX copy bottle cages (no worse at scratching bottles than other brands and more reliable than other brands, ie don’t break or eject bottles)

To add
Uno alloy handlebars, both road and gravel and my flared gravel bar has seen abuse.
MZYRH flat pedals
Wellgo red cleats (exactly the same as Favero and Powertap cleats)
Zeray ZP-110 look keo compatible pedals
AOlikes headband, sits under your helmet and silicone gutter stops sweat getting in your eyes.
TPU folding flask - make your own gels 250ml worth and stick it in your back pocket
Generic HR bands for Garmin HR, a consumable product but lasts as long as gamins, cheaper and comes in a range of colours.
Generic alloy computer mount (Garmin or Wahoo) with GoPro mount underneath that mounts to your handlebar with hinge.
Deemount tubeless sealants injectors
Deemount side loading bottle cages
Cheji cycling kit (just need to be aware pricing fluctuates madly)

To avoid
Generic alloy computer mount that mounts to your stem with two bolts, cracked too many to recommend
Plastic computer mount with GoPro mount underneath that mounts to your handlebar, again cracked too many.
Replica/copies/cheap cycling kit, especially bibs with the multicoloured 5D pads.

daym solid list!!
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Eddy_Twerckx

What’s the best mini pump out there? Something small and can handle road tires.

nicklej

My list of recommended:

E
  • lita One seatpost.
    Dodici handlebars.
    Ridenow tubes.
    RhinoWalk bags.
    Uno stems.
    For carbon rims: Deerobust & Bitranz.
    Random 3M Heli tape stuff.
    I've had some carbon cages for about 8 years now which are not like the XXX ones but have lasted many miles and still going strong.
    TiTo Titanium. Had lots of bolts from them as well as a set of forks and bars and they've been great.
    Gararuk derailleur cages and pulleys. Honestly, cannot see or feel a difference between these and genuine but are less than half price, they're practical and look better imo.
    SQLab inner bar-end clones, same weight, half price, seem solid.
    Yuniper and powerway lefty hubs.

Not recommended:
B
  • ar tape, inexpensive but most i've tried feel shite and rubbery but not in a good way, just a cheap way. There will be good ones out there of course.
    Clothing generally, some items I liked but the sizing is whack and varies too much from one place to another.
    OG-Evkin (maybe not spelled that right) carbon forks. I always need to face the disc brake mounts and each one i've had has varied in the lower steerer diameter a fair amount. I give this product a meh. It does the job once you overcome the initial shortcomings.
    Airwolf
Highball Clone - Seattube split after about 400 miles of road riding. No after care and, although it was not a huge expense, it was still a wasted one.

Wet Noodle

My list of recommended:
SQLab inner bar-end clones, same weight, half price, seem solid.

Can you post a picture? For me, ali only shows Spirgrips clones, but no SQLab ones.

jonathanf2

I'm a big fan of Fovno jockey wheels. I'm using these on my GRX 812 RD. They're heavy duty and spin smoothly even after riding in mud and dirt. They're easy to clean and service. My stock GRX jockey wheels just grind. I'm suspecting LTwoo and Sensah source these jockey wheels as well for their rear derailleurs.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802749293027.html

Also I take back what I said about the RideNow TPU tubes with alloy stem. The base of the stem is still plastic. The other day I accidentally cracked the plastic section when I was topping off air in my tire. I have a nice set tubeless ready road tires ready to go once I wear out my clinchers!

00Garza

I used a pair of the ultralight Carbon Bottle Cages listed/describe above.   My problem with them is that I tried them on my gravel bike and the bottles kept flying out of the cage. Almost every time I hit a large bump.  (large size water bottles - all I use.)

I run "traditional" carbon cages and I lost a full water bottle on a bump at speed. I only realized it was gone when I reached down for a drink. I think you'd need a metal cage and bend it to a really tight fit in order to make it fool proof.

I'm in need of new bottle cages so this interests me much...
do these carbon ones, recommended above, scratch the bottles? My only experience with carbon cages was one of those Bontrager XXX knock-offs, and while it held the bottle well it just left it all scratched, maybe because it was too tight, but I also believe it was a case of rough edges on the carbon.

Every carbon bottle cage I've ever used has scratched my bottles unfortunately. Gloss finished cages took longer, but eventually the bottles get roughed up.

nicklej

Can you post a picture? For me, ali only shows Spirgrips clones, but no SQLab ones.

Sure. I can't find them now but looking back at my.order history they were these: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKVsZdq shop no longer has items so guess it was dodgy. Mine have been great!

PLA

I run "traditional" carbon cages and I lost a full water bottle on a bump at speed. I only realized it was gone when I reached down for a drink. I think you'd need a metal cage and bend it to a really tight fit in order to make it fool proof.

Every carbon bottle cage I've ever used has scratched my bottles unfortunately. Gloss finished cages took longer, but eventually the bottles get roughed up.

I think the elite bottle and cage interface is really tight. Can't imagine a bottle ever jumping out.

But the fidlock system is foolproof pretty much. But can prob get 100 aliexpress bottle for the same cost.

My elite bottles takes 1 look at an elite cage and get a billion scratches.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

TidyDinosaur

What’s the best mini pump out there? Something small and can handle road tires.

Just get the BBB Samurai BMP-50 Mini Pump... It's awesome. It probably won't fit in your saddle bag, but I have mounted mine on the side of the bottle cage and barely notice it...
I ditched my Lezyne Pocket Drive HV pump for this one. The HV version was a mistake because you can't get tubeless road tires to seat. Learned this the hard way when I got a flat. Luckily someone in the group had a BBB pump that worked great. I ordered one the same day.