Author Topic: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter  (Read 7734 times)

Avalius

Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter
« on: November 10, 2023, 03:24:43 AM »
Hey guys,

Any reviews on these units?
Saw gplama his youtube video about it and thinking about ordering one.
He was very positive about it and the price is very good.

raisinberry777

Re: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 04:06:22 AM »
Hey guys,

Any reviews on these units?
Saw gplama his youtube video about it and thinking about ordering one.
He was very positive about it and the price is very good.

Can't give it so much of a detailed review, but I got mine ~2 weeks ago and have been happy with it so far. Using it on an otherwise R7170 105 Di2 setup (including 105 R7100 chainrings) and it works excellently. Had to adjust the FD a bit as the crank sat slightly more outboard but obviously that's very easy with Di2! Setup was simple - old crank out, take chainrings off and put them on new spider, use external lockring tool to attach spider to crank, then it's just a couple hex keys to install. No harder than a Shimano crank.

Numbers are comparable to my Favero Assioma Unos which I had until recently before the bearings wore through the axles. No dropouts or spikes at all. Haven't had to charge it yet so can confirm that it lasts at least 500km without having given a low battery warning yet.

electrolux

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 04:20:55 AM »
I have had mine on the Zrace cranks for a few months, first power meter so nothing to compare but no issues. The app is a bit janky but it does the job.

sbellote

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 05:35:52 AM »
I have the P325cs from Magene, got it in the crowdfunding, it's been 3yrs and working really well, although it's the 1st PM and I don't have much to compare to, the readings are aligned with my smart trainer so it's a good sign. Only thing that could be better is the battery, but it lasts about 60hrs of usage so it's still pretty good, and easy to charge, so not so bad.

I think the best opportunities are either those P505 or the Sigeyi, which are pretty well established
keep a lookout tomorrow with the start of 11.11 because the price might drop and it adds up with coupons. If you look now the product pages show the current price and what'll be tomorrow in sale

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 08:59:29 AM »
I have the P505 Base with the cranks from Magene. Price was $300 USD with free shipping. Installation was very simple. Straight swap from my Shimano 105 cranks, preload the non driveside and then a single pinch bolt. I'll post the weights below. So far, data has been tracking spot on with my Favero Assioma pedals except in one condition. It does not work well with oval chainrings...sort of. So my setup is a little weird. I do a round outer ring and an oval inner ring. This is why the Magene has problems. It's a well documented "issue" that spider power meters overestimate oval chainrings. Which isn't a problem in itself because you can adjust the offset of the PM. So if you're running a single ring oval, just can adjust it down to be accurate. Or if you're running 2x oval. The problem I'm having is that it's accurate for the round outer ring, but reads high when in the small oval ring. My solution is that I ordered a round inner ring. It's on the race bike and I wanted to get bigger chainrings anyways, so I'm fine with using round rings. The other option would have been to just know in my head that the readings were 10W off in the small ring, but my solution seemed simpler.

Overall, very happy with it. I wanted a cheap, accurate PM for my crit bike and this is it. Easy swap if you're running Shimano, and very accurate readings with round rings. I would buy again for sure. Magene is also making a pedal PM that looks promising but it's going to be a bit more expensive.

Weights
PM Spider: 112g
Driveside crank arm and spindle: 312g
Non driveside arm and preload bolt: 213g
Total weight (no chainrings): 638g

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
Looking at one of these myself for my gravel bike. Anything to keep in mind if setting it up 1x? Any recommendations on good Ali chainrings to pair it with?

dsveddy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 04:10:15 PM »
Looking at one of these myself for my gravel bike. Anything to keep in mind if setting it up 1x? Any recommendations on good Ali chainrings to pair it with?

I have a 36t deckas chainring on my CX rig. It's fine, it's the cheapest narrow-wide chainring I could find for 36t. No real complaints here!

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 01:33:01 AM »
Just ordered the P505 (without crank). I'm going to put it on my gravel bike with  38t chainring and the Sigeyi Powermeter that is now on my gravel bike will go to the MTB (it's 104BCD).

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 01:35:56 AM »

The Q-factor of the crank is narrow (like Shimano road), so if you are prone to heel strikes it might not be the best choice. I first wanted to order it with the crank, but the Q-factor made me decide to go with only the powermeter and use my current crank.
The weird powermeter-crank interface also does mean you can't just switch to another crank.

Avalius

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 02:19:10 PM »
I've ordered 3 of these with the 11.11 action. I'll report later with additional feedback. 2 for my road bikes and 1 for my gravel bike.

00Garza

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 11:40:00 AM »
The Q-factor of the crank is narrow (like Shimano road), so if you are prone to heel strikes it might not be the best choice. I first wanted to order it with the crank, but the Q-factor made me decide to go with only the powermeter and use my current crank.
The weird powermeter-crank interface also does mean you can't just switch to another crank.

Just pulled the trigger on one. I ride flat pedals on my gravel bike, so hopefully that should help minimize the heel strike issue.

kubackje

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 01:44:30 PM »
Did anyone use this magene powermeter with senicx gr2 crankset?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwEflTP

Sebastian

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
I got the P505 in the SRAM 3 bolt variant on my Red crankset. I think it’s slightly overreading compared to the Assioma pedals on my other bike. I could scale it down in the app but I need to put the Assiomas on the bike to compare them directly. Other than that the thing is bomb proof.

nickobec

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 06:27:01 AM »
... but I need to put the Assiomas on the bike to compare them directly ...
Easy to do if you have two head units, https://compare-the-watts.com/ is your friend. Just test my old G3 hubs, a Sigeyi for my gravel bike and my Assiomas. Surprised how everything is within 1%, except one hub that is closer to 2%.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 07:15:46 AM »
Easy to do if you have two head units, https://compare-the-watts.com/ is your friend. Just test my old G3 hubs, a Sigeyi for my gravel bike and my Assiomas. Surprised how everything is within 1%, except one hub that is closer to 2%.

Well, you have the drive train losses between crank and hub... Maybe that can explain. I find 2 % still VERY good.

And yeah, without testing them both at the same time on the same bike you can say nothing about the differences between 2 measurements.

If both devices have a 2% accuracy they can have a 4% difference and still be within tolerances...