Author Topic: Winspace G2 (Light Do it all bike)  (Read 1503 times)

Trackar

Winspace G2 (Light Do it all bike)
« on: January 09, 2024, 01:42:55 AM »
Here is my 99% completed Winspace g2. I have to redo the rear derailleur housing, I should have ran it all the way through to the back but didn't. Theyre not meant for fully internal mechanical routing, but it can be done.

This is my 4th "Chinese Carbon" frame set and it is by far the best (5th on the way). The build quality is as good as one can ask for. I had no issues building it, everything was faced nicely, no issue with the headset bearing seats. Which is the weak spot for "Chinese" frames, you can always just shove a BB in if it's not quite right. If the headset seats are done too poorly the frame is basically trash.
The paint finish is great, there's a few spots here and there that aren't the cleanest. However I can say the same for my Matte canyon and Evil frames. You can only be so picky before one is just being unreasonable.

Built this as a comfortable do it all bike, loved the round seat post, threaded BB, plenty of mounts and loads of tire clearance. It turned into a "lightweight" build half way through. Without sacrificing usability of the bike or going with super expensive components. Im very happy with the bike given its build quality, weight and price.

Total weight came out to 6.82kg with pedals, cages, and an ass saver to offset the fact that I didn't have bar tape. The build came out to ~$3100, there's a few hundred grams to be saved, but I would have to replace components with ones 3-6x the cost of the existing one. This is the perfect middle ground in my opinion.

Build List;
Winspace G2 Medium: $1080
Light Bicycle AR25 with Bitex Hubs:$864 (1080grams)
Elilee XXE Crankset 165mm: $320 (296grams!!)
Wolf Tooth 38t Chain Ring: $30, used (77grams)
Ltwoo GRT with ZRace brake Calipers: $305
Sram XPLR 12-71 Cassette: $100 New take off
Zitto Chain: $26
Onirii 160mm Rotors: $40/pair (102g)
Aliexpress Seatpost: $26 (136g)
EggBeater 1 Pedals with Titanium Spindles: $70 (240grams)
Ryet 3D Carbon Saddle (163grams)
Lexon/Ryet Gravel Bars: $124
Carbon Bottle Cages: $16/pair (16grams each)
Carbon Seatpost clamp:$15 (5grams)
Panaracer Gravel King Slick 37c: free (bike bin)
FSA Bottom Bracket: Free (bike bin)
TPU Gravel Tubes: $8
Bar Tape: $6
Titanium Bolts: $40

Rode it around the block and it felt great! Just need to redo the housing and finish my other bike (which has an interesting issue) before the other one arrives.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 01:47:08 AM by Trackar »

jonathanf2

Re: Winspace G2 (Light Do it all bike)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:50:25 PM »
Damn, nice build! That bike weighs less than a lot of roadie builds on here! That wheelset and crankset make a big difference in weight savings.

Trackar

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 07:16:04 PM »
Damn, nice build! That bike weighs less than a lot of roadie builds on here! That wheelset and crankset make a big difference in weight savings.
I suspect the savings was about 1kg in those two components. The seatpost saved another 100g. There’s definitely more places to save weight, but it would basically double the cost of the build to save another 500 grams lol

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 07:24:56 PM »
I suspect the savings was about 1kg in those two components. The seatpost saved another 100g. There’s definitely more places to save weight, but it would basically double the cost of the build to save another 500 grams lol

The nice thing about your gravel build is that you could go with some big knobby tires and still be in the high 6kg or low 7kg range. Even with a slight weight increase, that would  be very good for a gravel bike. Now you have me looking at your wheelset on Light Bicycle's website! Lol

Trackar

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 07:50:17 PM »
The nice thing about your gravel build is that you could go with some big knobby tires and still be in the high 6kg or low 7kg range. Even with a slight weight increase, that would  be very good for a gravel bike. Now you have me looking at your wheelset on Light Bicycle's website! Lol
Ordering some Rene Herse tires shortly, and it will be perfect.
I used twisted wheels discount code on light bicycle to get 10% off, he made me aware of them and I think I’ll be ordering another set soon, love them! Plus the hub is fairly quiet too.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:30:28 AM »
I would keep a very close eye on that ZTTO chain if I were you. I used one when I first built my gravel bike and after 1000km the chain and the cassette were so worn even a new chain did not help... That was an expensive lesson...

Sakizashi

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 09:57:38 AM »
Looks amazing. This is a textbook light weight build, focusing weight savings on the 2 places where you are likely to see the most gains other than the frame in terms of rims and cranks.

Light Bicycle's pro series rims are the seriously nice. IMO build quality wise up there or better than anyone. I've built and owned a few sets and they are really nice. Very clean bladder removal and patching. Build true with even tensions too.

The Elilee crank looks great, how do you like it? I am torn between it and the SkyPivot. Big difference seems to be the bonded spindle in the Elilee vs. a swapable one on the SkyPivot and a few grams.

If you do end up swapping chains, I recommend getting the Force AXS one to match your cassette. It's one of the most durable road chains you can get, and regularly hits the $30-$35 (USD) price point. I got 10,000+ mostly gravel miles from each of mine before they hit the 0.5% indicator on my Pedros chain tool, though i waxed my chains.

Trackar

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 11:19:33 PM »
I would keep a very close eye on that ZTTO chain if I were you. I used one when I first built my gravel bike and after 1000km the chain and the cassette were so worn even a new chain did not help... That was an expensive lesson...

Will keep an eye on it, appreciate the heads up. I have them on other bikes, but individually they don't get to many miles as I alternate them.
Need to order a chain wear tool or 3d print one

Trackar

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 11:33:45 PM »
Looks amazing. This is a textbook light weight build, focusing weight savings on the 2 places where you are likely to see the most gains other than the frame in terms of rims and cranks.

Light Bicycle's pro series rims are the seriously nice. IMO build quality wise up there or better than anyone. I've built and owned a few sets and they are really nice. Very clean bladder removal and patching. Build true with even tensions too.

The Elilee crank looks great, how do you like it? I am torn between it and the SkyPivot. Big difference seems to be the bonded spindle in the Elilee vs. a swapable one on the SkyPivot and a few grams.

If you do end up swapping chains, I recommend getting the Force AXS one to match your cassette. It's one of the most durable road chains you can get, and regularly hits the $30-$35 (USD) price point. I got 10,000+ mostly gravel miles from each of mine before they hit the 0.5% indicator on my Pedros chain tool, though i waxed my chains.

Love the Elilee cranks so far, build quality is great, I don't suspect I'll have any issues with it. Build Quality on par with my FSA carbon cranks and older red cranks. I really want to get a Blize XXE frameset, but waiting to see if any more reviews come up as the price is comparable to an Aethos and weights the same.

In that case may throw on a force chain on this bike and reuse the zitto for my commuter.

kanuto

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 02:41:46 PM »
How's the wheelset and crank holding up?

Trackar

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 07:29:38 PM »
Holding up great so far, but I haven't put to many miles on it yet. I have zero concerns about the wheel set given light bicycles reputation. The fit and finish on the rim is amazing. Very true, tension is even, they're built very well. The cranks are very well built too, I don't believe there will be any issues.

pecampbe

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 08:25:17 AM »
Holding up great so far, but I haven't put to many miles on it yet. I have zero concerns about the wheel set given light bicycles reputation. The fit and finish on the rim is amazing. Very true, tension is even, they're built very well. The cranks are very well built too, I don't believe there will be any issues.

Love the new colours of the G2. I have one of the original green with black forks.  Curious about the full internal setup with mechanical, I have a new groupset coming soon and am curious to set up full internal, can you provide some advice/tips to do it?

Thanks.