Author Topic: SPD-SL Pedals on AliExpress  (Read 603 times)

ujmo_

SPD-SL Pedals on AliExpress
« on: February 11, 2024, 12:22:21 PM »
Hello, I'm curious if someone has any experience with cheap SPD-SL pedals from AliExpress. Here are few examples of what I'm considering:
If you know about some better alternatives in the similar price range of 20-30€ or have any input, please let me know.

feris0n

Re: SPD-SL Pedals on AliExpress
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 01:10:19 PM »
From what I remember there were a lot of good recommendations on this thread:
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4497.0.html

Most of them are Look compatible pedals but the recommendations come with cleats anyway. Also from what I searched up the companies that people were recommending also made SPD-SL pedals just in case you don't feel like switching pedal systems.

chughes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 02:35:27 PM »
See no reason to go with options outside of the mainstream (Shimano, Look, Time). You can get a Ultegra spd sl pedal for 80 or a 105 one for about 60 via ebay. Amazon has Time pedals for around 40.00  Have tried the route you are trying and ended up going back to the original. Have experienced  non original pedals {spd sl)that came not properly greased; Not as easy to clip in and out as the original. Not all cleats are manufactured with the strict standard as the original. Have some China speedplay pedals (titanium) that I purchased six months ago that have started to rust(note I do not recommend speedplay, the platform is not wide enough). Honestly my experience is you do feel the difference (originals vs copies)

00Garza

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 02:48:09 PM »
Agreed you’re better off going with shimano or other mainstream brands for durability and support.

Merlincycles has some Time pedals for $26. I’ve also tried Exustar as a cheaper option and liked them.

Takiyaki

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 02:50:47 PM »
Cheaper doesnt always mean better value

Froglover825

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 07:16:34 PM »
pedals and cleats are one of the few things I would not advise buying from aliexpress.
Pedal quality is very important to fit and having one pedal being even slightly wider/shorter can really mess you up.

I've used aliexpress shimano lookalike cleats and they have fallen apart like a ride in, when I investigated them as well the stack height was significantly off the actual shimano cleats I had.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 08:19:43 PM »
Xpedo pedals are Wellgo's premium pedal line-up (ignore the pervy name). I have both Look Keo and SPD pedals from them and they're rock solid and weigh less than Shimano or Look brand pedals. You can buy a pair of Look Keo or SPD cleats on AliEx Pick 3 & Save for $1.99 USD a piece. For me it's a no-brainer. The only name brand stuff I buy are Shimano derailleurs and cycling kits. I can't stand AliEx kits!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:21:54 PM by jonathanf2 »

bichler.bua

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 01:43:36 AM »
I had no luck with pedals from AliExpress, do not think buying from Asia direct is worth  - considering you get Shimano or similar pedals at decent prices.
Failed badly with Xpedo RF-S1 (SPD), very difficult to release.
Also ran a pair of SYUN-LP R31 (SPD SL), heavy design flaw: only one ball bearing in the center of the axle and a bushing near the crank arm.
The bushing wore out in no time, resulting in a loss of seal and pedal play.
Pedals from AliExpress: never ever again...

electrolux

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 06:49:25 AM »
My rockbros SPD pedals were a fail. The cleats were made of such soft metal and the spring action was inconsistent. Tracevelo had good things to say about the fake speedplays so maybe have a look at those. Otherwise stick to OEM

Serge_K

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:00:23 AM »
I got a few pairs of these, i think they are meant to be RACEWORK. The carbon I think is a decal. But they are lighter than my Garmin pedals so who knows.
Have only used for 350km over 5 rides or so, but i've done a bunch of 1000W sprints, they clip in and out easy, and you can adjust the tension (havent tried yet, but you can, there's a bolt).
Got them on Alibaba for 14 usd a pair with a pair of cleats. That's w/o shipping.
I've also been using Chinese cleats for years, the type with a bit of rubber and not just nylon, they're great. They really are consumable, it's probably what i change the most often.