Author Topic: New frame: Longteng RD301-D  (Read 2306 times)

Ahodesu05

New frame: Longteng RD301-D
« on: March 07, 2024, 09:11:28 AM »
New forum member here, and starting a new thread after posting about this in a thread on the LightCarbon LCR017-D (https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4309.255.html).

Long story short: I snuck in to the Taipei Bike Show today to check out some Longteng and LightCarbon frames, and at the Longteng booth, I found out that they have an unreleased frame which is undergoing testing: the RD301-D.  Here is a short video that I took, and a few pages from their brochure with its geometry: https://imgur.com/a/XvH327j.

Appearance wise, the 301 doesn't break any new ground, but a few things stand out:
- It has an aero profile but is under 1000g weight
- The geometry (especially stack) sort of sits between an upright endurance bike and bikes like the Velobuild 177 and 268, Winspace SLC 2.0 and 1500, Yoeleo R11 - this geometry is a sweet spot for me [edit: the geometry seems comparable to the touted all-arounder Trigon AR01]
- Whoa, max tire clearance of 38!
- Cool little storage space on the downtube
- Threaded T47 BB
- Per their rep Alisa, it's made with a mix of T800 and T1000 carbon

This frame hasn't been posted on their website, and Alisa said it will be released "in a few months" once testing is complete.  The 54cm has passed their tests and is available if anyone is interested - you can email Alisa at longtengalisa@163.com.

Peace out!

[Edited to add reference to the Trigon AR01]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:51:56 AM by Ahodesu05 »

BalticSea

Re: New frame: Longteng RD301-D
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 09:53:39 AM »
Noice.

It seems like it's an all-around bike like Canyon's Endurance, just bit more aggressive geometry stack-wise. Size 54 has less stack than something like SuperSix Evo 4 or BMC Teammachine.

PLA

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 10:23:28 AM »
this looks nice. might pick one up
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

joegal

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 11:57:10 AM »
Great investigation ;)

You know if they will offer a zero-offset Seatpost?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 12:44:58 PM by joegal »

Sakizashi

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 01:42:36 PM »
This is the frame i have been looking for! Thanks OP!

If i end up really liking the super narrow 35cm bars I plan to experiment with I might get the 52cm, otherwise the 50cm with a 120 -6 stem would be perfect and slammed would give me the same stack and reach as my roadie.

RDY

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 05:51:31 AM »
New forum member here, and starting a new thread after posting about this in a thread on the LightCarbon LCR017-D (https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4309.255.html).

Long story short: I snuck in to the Taipei Bike Show today to check out some Longteng and LightCarbon frames, and at the Longteng booth, I found out that they have an unreleased frame which is undergoing testing: the RD301-D.  Here is a short video that I took, and a few pages from their brochure with its geometry: https://imgur.com/a/XvH327j.

Appearance wise, the 301 doesn't break any new ground, but a few things stand out:
- It has an aero profile but is under 1000g weight
- The geometry (especially stack) sort of sits between an upright endurance bike and bikes like the Velobuild 177 and 268, Winspace SLC 2.0 and 1500, Yoeleo R11 - this geometry is a sweet spot for me [edit: the geometry seems comparable to the touted all-arounder Trigon AR01]
- Whoa, max tire clearance of 38!
- Cool little storage space on the downtube
- Threaded T47 BB
- Per their rep Alisa, it's made with a mix of T800 and T1000 carbon

This frame hasn't been posted on their website, and Alisa said it will be released "in a few months" once testing is complete.  The 54cm has passed their tests and is available if anyone is interested - you can email Alisa at longtengalisa@163.com.

Peace out!

[Edited to add reference to the Trigon AR01]

Couple of things:

That fork design with the pronounced ridge on the fork blade is typical of VB and LT.  Previously they've been very noodly - lateral stiffness is diabolical.  There also seems to be some variance - usually VB are worse, and some VBs worse than others.  Hopefully not the case here, but we'll see.

Bit doubtful about 38 clearance.  But it would be nice to have a nominally aero profile with that clearance.

numberzero

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »
The frame in the video is clearly not the frame in the brochure. Or are they doing like LC and the LCR017-D, with final product different than pictures on website.

What's the real RD301-D looks like? ::)

Casio20

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 08:04:08 AM »
Hi, the frame looks amazing considering the weight, t47 and tire clearance, is there anything similar just released in Taipeh?

Thanks mates

Casio20

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 08:05:04 AM »
In addition, I've never heard about this brand, can you please give me some background information, is it a reliable brand?

Thanks

Ahodesu05

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 09:27:14 AM »
In addition, I've never heard about this brand, can you please give me some background information, is it a reliable brand?

Thanks

There are lots of resources here on Chinertown on the different Chinese brands - I'm a new member, but did spend the past month looking at different frames and reading the forum here to see what brands are/are not reputable.  You can do the same, it's part of the fun!

I'm buying my first Chinese frame, so I don't have any actual experience with Longteng or any of the other Chinese brands.  I've researched Winspace, Yoeleo and Seka, which are above my budget.  Within my budget, I've researched Velobuild, Workswell, Yishunbikes, Longteng, Lightcarbon, Trifox and a few others.  It seems that Longteng and Lightcarbon have decent reputation, based in part on the fact that they own their own production and act as OEM for other companies, and offer decent customer support.  But as always, your mileage my vary.

Happy hunting!

Btw I'm talking to Longteng to get some pricing and confirm other details like availability, custom frame painting, geometry, zero offset seat post, etc.  Will provide updates here if anyone is interested.

Ahodesu05

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 09:02:25 AM »
The frame in the video is clearly not the frame in the brochure. Or are they doing like LC and the LCR017-D, with final product different than pictures on website.

What's the real RD301-D looks like? ::)

You are right - I posted the wrong video (it was the 268 frame instead of the 301).  I've removed the video and added 2 photos from Longteng of the real 301 frame which match up what they have in the brochure: https://imgur.com/a/XvH327j.  Sorry about the mix up.

Here are some updates from my communication with them:

- Quoted price of US$450 for frame, fork, seat post

- They can offer for additional charge: integrated handlebar $80, headset $12, through axle $30/pair, spare rear hanger $6/pcs

- 980g +/-40 for size 52 frame

- Zero offset seat post is not available

- Available 45 days from payment

I've had some discussions with them around custom frame painting:

- US$85 for 3 colors

- They can do custom decals (which will sit underneath the final coat of paint), but for simple stuff, they will make it part of the frame painting instead of doing decal stickers - they prefer to get vector files instead of helping with design

- They can do (or, at least they are wiling to try...) fairly complex paint jobs, unlike other sellers I've talked to - for example, I asked if they can do something like the Bahrain team bike kit from 2023 (https://www.ridemedia.com.au/racing/pro-bikes-2023-bahrain-victorious-and-merida-a-mechanics-perspective/), and they said it should be ok as long as they are provided with detailed sketches/instructions; I'm just relaying what they said and have no idea about the actual end product, although the paint jobs I saw at the Taipei Bike Show looked pretty nice

Again, sorry about posting the wrong video  :o

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:18:18 AM by Ahodesu05 »

Ahodesu05

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 09:21:45 AM »
Couple of things:

That fork design with the pronounced ridge on the fork blade is typical of VB and LT.  Previously they've been very noodly - lateral stiffness is diabolical.  There also seems to be some variance - usually VB are worse, and some VBs worse than others.  Hopefully not the case here, but we'll see.

Bit doubtful about 38 clearance.  But it would be nice to have a nominally aero profile with that clearance.

Sorry, I posted a video of the 268 frame instead of the 301.  The 268 has that ridge on the fork but the 301 does not.  I've deleted the video and uploaded photos of the actual 301 frame that I got from Longteng (no ridge): https://imgur.com/a/XvH327j.

Cnasta

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 09:37:01 AM »
That looks to be a gravelframe (top tube screwholes and graveltires)

Sakizashi

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 03:18:21 PM »
You are right - I posted the wrong video (it was the 268 frame instead of the 301).  I've removed the video and added 2 photos from Longteng of the real 301 frame which match up what they have in the brochure: https://imgur.com/a/XvH327j.  Sorry about the mix up.

Here are some updates from my communication with them:

- Quoted price of US$450 for frame, fork, seat post

- They can offer for additional charge: integrated handlebar $80, headset $12, through axle $30/pair, spare rear hanger $6/pcs

- 980g +/-40 for size 52 frame

- Zero offset seat post is not available

- Available 45 days from payment

I've had some discussions with them around custom frame painting:

- US$85 for 3 colors

- They can do custom decals (which will sit underneath the final coat of paint), but for simple stuff, they will make it part of the frame painting instead of doing decal stickers - they prefer to get vector files instead of helping with design

- They can do (or, at least they are wiling to try...) fairly complex paint jobs, unlike other sellers I've talked to - for example, I asked if they can do something like the Bahrain team bike kit from 2023 (https://www.ridemedia.com.au/racing/pro-bikes-2023-bahrain-victorious-and-merida-a-mechanics-perspective/), and they said it should be ok as long as they are provided with detailed sketches/instructions; I'm just relaying what they said and have no idea about the actual end product, although the paint jobs I saw at the Taipei Bike Show looked pretty nice

Again, sorry about posting the wrong video  :o

Thanks for posting the right pictures. Looks like its on their website now: https://www.ltbikes.com/index/products/view/id/401.html

Ahodesu05

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 07:12:31 PM »
That looks to be a gravelframe (top tube screwholes and graveltires)

Yeah it seems more in the spirit of the 3T, Open and similar all road bikes than a pure road bike.  Might be cool especially with 2 wheelsets but honestly maybe not my cuppa tea.