Author Topic: Puncture proof Continental Gatorskin tyres any good?  (Read 1121 times)

Velovelo

Puncture proof Continental Gatorskin tyres any good?
« on: March 17, 2024, 07:40:24 AM »
I'm looking to try the "Puncture proof" Continental Gatorskin tyres. Do they really reduce frequent flats? Any real world user experience will be appreciated.

Also what do you guys do to reduce flats? Do share your hacks or best puncture proof tyres for carbon wheelsets you have tried.
Looking for reliability over performance here.
P/s; I prefer using inner tubes even on tubeless ready wheelsets.

I ride 700c/28mm tyres.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 07:42:58 AM by Velovelo »

BalticSea

Re: Puncture proof Continental Gatorskin tyres any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 09:58:21 AM »
They are good against flats, but they're terrible for riding - heavy, slow and a massive pain to put on. Pirelli Cinturato Velo, GP5000 All Season are better choices.

Mikeyblue

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 02:07:59 PM »
As mentioned by BalticSea, Pirelli Cintirato are great for puncture resistance. A much better option imo. Better puncture resistance and much faster rolling tyres than Gatorskins. I have also heard from club members, that Gatorskins are terrible in the wet.

raisinberry777

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 03:39:54 PM »
If you hate riding, they're great. If you enjoy riding, use almost anything else. Even today's race-ready tyres (GP5000, Pirelli P Zero etc.) score well on puncture resistance tests, and then if you're going further down that route, try something like a Pirelli Cinturato or a GP5000 AS.

It's worth considering tubeless as well for additional protection.

Velovelo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:32:12 PM »

Ok, thanks guys for the tips!

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 11:26:10 AM »
I just wanted to add one more tire and that's the Schwalbe One slicks. Last week my GP5000 rear tire flatted due to a nasty wood screw that lodged right through the sidewall. I tried patching it, but the sidewall damage was beyond fixing. Anyways I found a pair of Schwalbe One tires for not much more than one GP5000 tire replacement, so I opted to go that direction. The Schwalbe tires weighs slightly more than the GP5000 clinchers it replaced, but it has a sturdier sidewall and it appears to have a slightly tougher rubber compound. I rode on them this week and they're surprisingly fast and feel good for the price. Though I haven't tested wet performance yet, but I hardly ride in the rain.

GP5000 tires are still the best in my opinion for a fast tire, but the Schwalbe One tires are solid for an all-arounder. They also have the Schwalbe Pro One tires, which are the race version. I'm guessing those perform closer to the GP5000s.

Froglover825

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 07:25:58 PM »
Who in their right mind would go with the gatorskin unless you know nothing about cycling?
I run GP5k's and haven't had a puncture in over 2 years now, that's with riding a good 30,000km over shitty Australian roads.

00Garza

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 08:42:42 PM »
My go to for bombproof yet decent ride quality tires is Vittoria Rubinos. Most people will have a brand preference.

ENEP

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 04:22:49 AM »
Who in their right mind would go with the gatorskin unless you know nothing about cycling?
I run GP5k's and haven't had a puncture in over 2 years now, that's with riding a good 30,000km over shitty Australian roads.

What's your setup? Tubeless? If tubes, which kind butyl/latex/tpu?

Velovelo

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 07:29:53 PM »

How about the Maxxis Re-fuse? Does anyone have experience with these?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 07:51:44 PM by Velovelo »

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 04:56:17 AM »
How about the Maxxis Re-fuse? Does anyone have experience with these?

They are the slowest apparently  8)

Velovelo

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 10:34:47 AM »
They are the slowest apparently  8)

Ya, looks like they are the slowest.
Just wondering if anyone here can confirm they have used them and confirm that they are really 5 star puncture resistant. I am more concern on this aspect for the kind of riding I need them for.

BeR

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 12:09:36 PM »
Ya, looks like they are the slowest.
Just wondering if anyone here can confirm they have used them and confirm that they are really 5 star puncture resistant. I am more concern on this aspect for the kind of riding I need them for.

I don't know if they are the same :
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/cx-gravel-reviews/maxxis-re-fuse-gravel

PLA

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2024, 01:43:21 PM »
Just get a set of 35mm gp5kas and call it a day.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Velovelo

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 10:11:05 PM »
What I need for now is best puncture resistance, durability and best value for money @ 28mm max width for my bike frame.

I got 2 Maxis re-fuse (for the price of one gp5000). Done 3 rides in them so far and really like the grip especially in wet conditions. So far so good for what I'm looking for.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:39:43 PM by Velovelo »