Author Topic: Converting rim brakes wheels to disc brakes  (Read 591 times)

Nicoloc

Converting rim brakes wheels to disc brakes
« on: March 19, 2024, 03:43:15 PM »
Hi all
I recently changed bike from a rim brake to a disc brake.
I'm wondering if i can transform my elitewheels PRO rim brakes 38mm deep to disc brakes?
i understand that i would need to rebuil the wheel with new hubs and new spoke , but would the rim be compatible ?
thanks a lot for your advices
Nicoloc

KvotheTheRaven

Re: Converting rim brakes wheels to disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 05:05:26 PM »
Yup the rim would be compatible. But you might be better off just buying a disc wheelset, unless you're willing to build the wheelset yourself.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 03:24:00 AM »
Yeah, if you see what great value you can get these days, I would just get a new wheelset and try to sell the current one. You would need new hubs and spokes and if you can't build wheels yourself you will also have to pay for getting them made.
And they are probably pretty narrow so you could get a wider set.

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 06:39:09 AM »
That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. And you're 1 catastrophic failure away from death.

Bigbobby1482

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 07:23:30 AM »
That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. And you're 1 catastrophic failure away from death.

Why would this be more dangerous than any other wheel? The difference for disc rim and rim brake rim is literally just the brake track...

toxin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 07:50:06 AM »
disc rims are usually laid up differently for the different forces from the spokes as well as spoke holes being cut at different angles for different spoke lacing

00Garza

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 09:41:47 AM »
Could it be done? Yes.
Is it saving you so much that its worth the effort? Probably not.

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 01:08:50 PM »
Why would this be more dangerous than any other wheel? The difference for disc rim and rim brake rim is literally just the brake track...

No it isnt. the braking forces are completely different so they're built differently. i suspect the spoke holes area is thicker on disc wheels because of where the braking force is applied.
it would also look ugly
it would take forever to relace, it's a cheap wheelset to start with, can't make sense financially when you can simply sell the rim wheels & buy disc wheels.
it's a botch that can end with death.

Nicoloc

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 01:46:44 PM »
Hi all
If i refer to Yuananbike.com which is teh manufacturer for elitewheels, it look likes that the rim itself can be either used as rimbrake or Disc brake 
https://www.yuananbike.com/product/carbon-fiber-cycle-rims-38mm-depth-road-rims.

This put aside, from your posts i understand that :
- nipple angles might be different due to hub width
- hub might be difficult to find for front wheel (20 spokes)

to answer some of the questions :
Why not selling :  rim brake track can be used (not new)  and Chinese wheel don't have a great resell value
Why bothering :  i don't want to have another wheel set sitting in the garage  :),
                          for the glory of lacing a wheel by my self ?
                          for the same reason  i purchased a chiner bike and assmbled it :) 

based on all your comments , i'm not sure to move forward with this project, still interesting discussion.

stupid comment : it's a botch that can end with death => Only if i use brakes  :)  ;)

Sebastian

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 02:04:36 AM »
No it isnt. the braking forces are completely different so they're built differently. i suspect the spoke holes area is thicker on disc wheels because of where the braking force is applied.
it would also look ugly
it would take forever to relace, it's a cheap wheelset to start with, can't make sense financially when you can simply sell the rim wheels & buy disc wheels.
it's a botch that can end with death.

More premium brands might do this. But there's plenty of sellers on Aliexpress selling basically the same rim with and without a brake track. I wouldn't count on them altering their layup at the spoke holes depending on the braking method. The spoke hole drilling and angle however will be an issue if you rebuild a rim brake wheel for disc. The rear might work, since it's asymmetric to begin with and the NDS spokes will only have to go steeper. But the front rim will be drilled for symmetrical spoke angles and also spoke count might not work. Most disc front wheels have 24 spokes. Most rim brake wheels have 21 spokes or even as few as 16 spokes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:07:03 AM by Sebastian »