Author Topic: Separate set - narrow handlebars and low stem - for internal routing  (Read 2439 times)

kanuto

Re: Separate set - narrow handlebars and low stem - for internal routing
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2024, 12:47:02 AM »
Feels weird to say "in the biz," since it feels more like dipping a toe in the water as this is a side gig. That said, the barrier here is that to make integrated bars that are narrow but still fit people using bike frames currently on the market. We are looking at a +30mm to +40mm shift in stem length due to reach and the change in arm position. If you had a range of narrow bars with stem lengths going from 120mm to 180mm, I wonder how many people would buy them or how to forecast demand. However, this same issue is why I don't own the rights to this design, so if I do another design, I need to either roll the dice or find a way to get comfortable with it.

Bike fitting is also such a tradition-driven pseudo-science that it will take a while for people to realize what works and doesn't. I think there is also a question of whether some riders should be going back to their "designed" frame size vs. sizing down or even sizing up in some cases. In addition, bars this narrow turn design on their head a little bit. These bars are narrow enough that most people can either touch or almost touch their thumbs from the aero hood's position, so the rider's position limits the impact of integration and aero design. You also have a bike computer up front in most cases, and these bars are wider at the hoods than the TooT or Worx designs. I would be shocked if there is much to gain from integration, which is probably why integrated designs aren't emerging faster.

With all that said, I am slowly sketching options for a v2 version of this bar that I want to own the molds. I am still deciding if it should stop at doing the routing like Cervelo / the new Zipp bar or if it makes sense to design a stem system / integrated one-piece solution. Protecting the design long enough for me not to lose money is another problem, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Is this the same as the bikerdoc bars?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_oEDJScp

I like the bikerdoc bar but I feel its a bit too expernsive for a unbranded carbon bars.

elmtree

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2024, 06:04:43 AM »
No, those are the 'v1' bars he mentioned. Less flare, slightly thinner at the top

Sakizashi

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2024, 11:51:15 AM »
Is this the same as the bikerdoc bars?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_oEDJScp

I like the bikerdoc bar but I feel its a bit too expernsive for a unbranded carbon bars.

I cannot speak for the Balugoe or EC90 bars, but the quality of my specific copy of the Bikedoc bars seriously exceeded my expectations. They are nice and clean and easily as good as the Enve bars they replaced. I think the quality is worth the cost.

That said, there is a considerable price difference between the EC90 and Bikedoc design. The EC90 bars are about the same price at Aliexpress wholesale price as I was offered as the per unit cost AFTER the cost of the mold. This makes me believe there are other differences (e.g., material). However, I would choose based on your desired shape, since the bar shapes are so different. The 7mm lower lever position is not minor, nor is the similar amount of additional wrist clearance when sprinting or climbing in the drops.

I had the Enve Aero bars on the bike prior, and I liked them a lot. I did find out of the saddle in the drops; the Enve bars had just enough clearance. The Bikedoc bars have a little more than the Enve bars did and the ec90 bars will be less than the Enve bars, if the drawings are correct. The Bikedoc bars also work better for me in the aero hoods position than those did because of the lack of rise on the ramps where the drops meet the tops. I do turn my levers in, though less than before, as mine are set up using the current UCI rules as a guide. I had previously found that the position was most comfortable with the Enve bars was with the levers turned in enough so that my wrists naturally sat inside of the rise on the ramps. Hope this is helpful.

elmtree

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2024, 07:57:29 AM »
I ordered the ones from ec90 and they sent me their track bars on accident. They've been pretty slow to respond unfortunately. The track bars are quite stiff so I'm not too worried about the road version assuming it's the same mold without horns. Hopefully they send me out the new ones soon