Author Topic: Are any of the bottom brackets on aliexpress of decent quality?  (Read 1414 times)

mdeth1313

Particlularly dub for bsa.  Just figured I'd check, but probably better off w/ a standard sram BB.

armada

Re: Are any of the bottom brackets on aliexpress of decent quality?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 11:43:13 PM »
I had good experience with ZTTO ones.

But if you can get a Sram one with a bit of a discount the price difference isn't huge.

Eskae

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 10:11:49 AM »
I got a "Union Jack" brand BB30 for $20 and it was crap.  Cheap bearings and cheesy manufacture quality when compared to the FSA bottom bracket I ended up buying from my local bike shop when the Union Jack didn't work out.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 10:49:41 AM »
Isn’t kactus one that is generally recommended?

bremerradkurier

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 02:55:25 PM »
Praxis BBs look to run for 40 to 50 USD with non-ceramic bearings.

ejump0

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 08:07:14 AM »
so far using Kaktus-ceramic BB86 on my tcr, and Ztto-normal bb386evo on my tt912.
They have been fine.
For press fit, i think Ztto center shaft threaded is a good idea, as it ensures both bearings in cup are aligned to crank spindle. 
Bearing wise, you could always replace em as both of these models uses alu(or steel?) cup material

Serge_K

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 08:25:32 AM »
No experience with Dub, but only good things to say about ztto press fit ones (alu sleeves that threads together in the middle). Intellectually this feels like a superior design to the standalone plastic Shimano cups. Given the horrendous reputation carbon frames have in terms of QC, I suspect the main reason why Shimano BB is 2 random plastic cups is that it will fit in almost any hole. But that doesn't mean it will work well.
The ztto ones can't have expensive bearings given the price point, but the sleeve must bring extra rigidity and that must be a good thing. I've installed quite a few, I'd love to never have to spend more on bottom brackets than these.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 02:10:30 PM »
  I bought one from Kactus for about $30 off Ali and got about 500km out of it before the bearings felt rough, the housings themselves were top quality. It was ceramic and I bought replacement steel bearings from a local supplier for $10 for 2.

Changing was quite easy, I just heated up the housings with a heat gun and tapped them out - doing the opposite for the install.

All in all I am still happy as the SRAM equivalent here is $78 + taxes.

s3si1u

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2024, 02:15:48 PM »
I ran a ZTTO BB86 on my Velobuild for a bit with no issues. My cousin now has that bike and the BB is still going strong.

For cheap brand name BBs I like Token. No issues with them ever, the $30 Token BSA30 on my gravel bike spins longer and smoother in the stand than the Ceramicspeed BB86 on my road bike, lol.
I've also never paid retail for a SRAM or Shimano BB. With enough searching and patience I've always found a good deal on them.

nicklej

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2024, 03:15:17 AM »
+1 for ZTTO. Fitted a couple now, one for shimano axles and another for 30mm. Both arrived fast to the UK, fitted well into the frame and for like £11 have lasted long enough. One is now 1.5 years old and has about 5000 miles on it and still nice and smooth. I really rate these from my experiences. The tool they supply doesn't feel too high quality but it gets the job done and if you need a BB tool is an inexpensive way of adding one to your armory!

RDY

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2024, 05:16:30 AM »
I ran a ZTTO BB86 on my Velobuild for a bit with no issues. My cousin now has that bike and the BB is still going strong.

For cheap brand name BBs I like Token. No issues with them ever, the $30 Token BSA30 on my gravel bike spins longer and smoother in the stand than the Ceramicspeed BB86 on my road bike, lol.
I've also never paid retail for a SRAM or Shimano BB. With enough searching and patience I've always found a good deal on them.

Token *BBs* are good.  The bearings however are complete junk.  Across 4 different bike installations so far, none have lasted more than 1500km.  Quickest to go were the absolute trash ceramic ones in 400km - grinding, creaking and cracking noises, and rough as hell.  Same BB has now had SK bearings in it for 4000km.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 05:28:29 AM by RDY »

coffeebreak

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2024, 09:00:07 AM »
3 bike builds with Token Ninja thread together bottom brackets and none of them have bearing issues. Combined mileage well over 13k with the oldest BB386 clocking in at 7k. I have two others with much expensive WM BBs and honestly I'll go for Token just for the $$$ savings. I didn't buy them from AliExpress though, they were from American Aliexpress aka Amazon.