Author Topic: ELITEWHEELS Drive vs. SuperTeam EVO  (Read 2105 times)

SZDW

ELITEWHEELS Drive vs. SuperTeam EVO
« on: August 23, 2024, 02:41:52 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm starrting to looking around for a new wheels.
I have left two companies:

ELITEWheels with this model:
https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/drive-aero-50mm-disc-brake-carbon-spoke-wheelset-ceramic-bearing/

and

SuperTeam with those wheels:
https://www.superteamwheels.com/products/evo-series-black-spoke-carbon-wheels

And I wonder what do you think about them in terms of build quality, after sale customer service, ride quality and everything aroud that most imprtant things except the look/design as this is every ones personal thing :)

So thanks in advance for all your comments and helpfull tips.

Of course if you have any other competitors that I should consider I would be more than gratefull for that!

Cheers!

BikerJens

Re: ELITEWHEELS Drive vs. SuperTeam EVO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 02:58:23 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'm not bying Elitewheels at that price, well knowing that you can get models at half that price on their own AliX site.

I have this, in the 60 mm model:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004306397938.html?pdp_npi=4%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24837.50%21US%20%24594.12%21%21%21837.50%21594.12%21%40211b6c7017243996403077287e388e%2112000029844855244%21sh%21DK%210%21X&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allItems_or_groupList.new_all_items_2007550294531.1005004306397938

I'm more than pleased with them so far. Feels stiff and don't have anything to put on the rolling. They are a bit heavy, but I'm not a climber..
Tall person with gigantic CdA

pandinoyoung

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 08:10:19 AM »
superteam guarantees its hubs in the top versions 1 year and in the economic versions 6 months.
it seems very little to me to offer high quality
6 months means: I don't guarantee you anything :-\

pandinoyoung

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 08:13:32 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'm not bying Elitewheels at that price, well knowing that you can get models at half that price on their own AliX site.

but the wheels sold on aliexpress are the cheap versions and have nothing to do with the top versions (DRIVE) sold on their site

BikerJens

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 08:49:03 AM »
but the wheels sold on aliexpress are the cheap versions and have nothing to do with the top versions (DRIVE) sold on their site

You might be right. As I said - I’m no expert. So help me gain knowledge! What is the big difference?
Tall person with gigantic CdA

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 09:04:15 AM »
I've been testing and reviewing Chinese carbon wheels from brands like Lún/Winspace, Farsports, YOELEO, Elitewheels, Superteam, and more. So, maybe my experience will be helpful to you.

From Elitewheels, I've tried DRIVE, ENT, and EDGE wheels. The difference between DRIVE and EDGE (which supposedly should be the same, but I don't think so) is relatively big. DRIVE wheels are much more responsive and stiffer. However, their bearing quality is not the best. Expect replacement after about 2000 km. Still, those are my favorite climbing wheels.
EDGE wheels are softer and, therefore, a bit more comfortable on rougher roads. They also use different hubs. So, the only "same" thing is probably the rims.

Regarding Superteam, I only have experience with the All-Carbon Ultra 2023 wheels. Not everything went smoothly during the testing, as the rear hub failed after about 800 km. I received one of the earliest batches, and it seems that some wheels from it had these issues, so it was not the best start. Superteam replaced the entire rear wheel, so I started testing it again. It has over 1000 km, and it is holding strong, so I assume they managed to fix all the issues. Anyway, the ride characteristics of these wheels were awesome – stiff, yet comfy, stable in crosswinds, and felt fast; this was very surprising to me, and honestly, they felt better balanced than HYPER 23 SE, for example.

You can check out my website for more details, videos, results of my in-house QC, and some discounts.  :)

estingo

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2024, 08:56:01 AM »
Interesting topic and thank you Petr for the YouTube vids on the wheels and your thoughts.

For wheels, I'm considering between these 2 brands as well, therefore I'm replying because it was quite a coincidence. As I'm a bit heavier rider 85 kg, I was looking more at the deeper rim depth of 50mm, 60mm or even the 65mm.

As for all round they say it's better to have around 50mm but it's more appealing aesthetically to have deeper rims. Therefore I was looking at the Drive D65 or a mix of 65 in the back and 50 in the front.
or the 50 or 60mm from the superteam but then the all-carbon evo, the follow-up from what Petr tested.

Where I'm based are no mountains or hills to climb but I will have many crosswinds, so it's maybe better and smarter to get the 50mm instead of the higher depth.
Anyway if there is another brand more appealing, like those Lun/winspace, go sports, far sports, Yoeleo, etc. I'm open for it too.

The wheels are the last part that I need for my build.

James dean

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 11:09:08 AM »
I've been testing and reviewing Chinese carbon wheels from brands like Lún/Winspace, Farsports, YOELEO, Elitewheels, Superteam, and more. So, maybe my experience will be helpful to you.

From Elitewheels, I've tried DRIVE, ENT, and EDGE wheels. The difference between DRIVE and EDGE (which supposedly should be the same, but I don't think so) is relatively big. DRIVE wheels are much more responsive and stiffer. However, their bearing quality is not the best. Expect replacement after about 2000 km. Still, those are my favorite climbing wheels.
EDGE wheels are softer and, therefore, a bit more comfortable on rougher roads. They also use different hubs. So, the only "same" thing is probably the rims.

Regarding Superteam, I only have experience with the All-Carbon Ultra 2023 wheels. Not everything went smoothly during the testing, as the rear hub failed after about 800 km. I received one of the earliest batches, and it seems that some wheels from it had these issues, so it was not the best start. Superteam replaced the entire rear wheel, so I started testing it again. It has over 1000 km, and it is holding strong, so I assume they managed to fix all the issues. Anyway, the ride characteristics of these wheels were awesome – stiff, yet comfy, stable in crosswinds, and felt fast; this was very surprising to me, and honestly, they felt better balanced than HYPER 23 SE, for example.

You can check out my website for more details, videos, results of my in-house QC, and some discounts.  :)

Hi Peter great reviews by the way. In your experience what have been the best Chinese wheels you have ridden. Money not being a factor. Thank you

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 05:32:55 AM »

Hi Peter great reviews by the way. In your experience what have been the best Chinese wheels you have ridden. Money not being a factor. Thank you
Thank you. I am glad you find them helpful. :-)
Well, no wheelset will suit all riders. I think it comes down to what you expect. For example, Elitewheels DRIVE are the best climbing wheels for me, Lún MEGA the stiffest (and the best for super smooth roads), wheels from Farsports are super easy to service and reliable... I could continue.
Maybe you can tell me what you are looking for, and I can recommend a wheelset. I also have a pretty in-depth article (6K words) summarizing the best Chinese wheels on my website, so I recommend checking that one, too.
There are also some wheelsets I haven't had the chance to try. There are so many options, and the differences between them are usually marginal. Most of the Chinese wheels are pretty good nowadays. :-)
Founder of the CyclistsHub.com and avid cyclist.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@cyclistshub
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mycyclistshub
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9599006

James dean

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2024, 03:07:59 PM »
Thank you. I am glad you find them helpful. :-)
Well, no wheelset will suit all riders. I think it comes down to what you expect. For example, Elitewheels DRIVE are the best climbing wheels for me, Lún MEGA the stiffest (and the best for super smooth roads), wheels from Farsports are super easy to service and reliable... I could continue.
Maybe you can tell me what you are looking for, and I can recommend a wheelset. I also have a pretty in-depth article (6K words) summarizing the best Chinese wheels on my website, so I recommend checking that one, too.
There are also some wheelsets I haven't had the chance to try. There are so many options, and the differences between them are usually marginal. Most of the Chinese wheels are pretty good nowadays. :-)

Hi

Really appreciate the response. I’m not looking for anything to be honest. I have only ridden very expensive wheels. I know it’s all the same as cheaper wheels. I’m just wondering from the wheels you have ridden if there is any really differences manufacturer vs manufacturer. I know the brands I just personally have never ridden any of them. What would you say is the best lightest wheel. 45mm

Again thank you

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2024, 05:47:22 AM »
Hi

Really appreciate the response. I’m not looking for anything to be honest. I have only ridden very expensive wheels. I know it’s all the same as cheaper wheels. I’m just wondering from the wheels you have ridden if there is any really differences manufacturer vs manufacturer. I know the brands I just personally have never ridden any of them. What would you say is the best lightest wheel. 45mm

Again thank you
Tough question, mate. I'd probably say the Lún HYPER 2023 (I've only ridden the SE since, but they're basically identical) due to the combination of stiffness, durability and design (butterfly-weave). If the HYPER 3 (which I ride now) had a butterfly-weave finish, I'd vote for them. I find them more comfortable, the wider spokes make them look cooler, and they have a wider inner rim width.
With DRIVE wheels, the quality of the bearings annoys me, and with Superteam All-Carbon Ultra 2023, I am not 100% sure if they solved all the manufacturing issues they faced in the beginning (when I got a pair for a review where the real hub failed). Then, they sent me new rear wheels, and since then, there have been no issues. Ride-wise, they are probably most well-balanced.

James dean

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2024, 01:37:24 PM »
Again thank you. Seems like no one is really reinventing the wheel. Just offering options I guess based on price point. I still ride my 19 wide wheels which I won’t change. It’s great to see there are many fish in the pond now.