Author Topic: Question for UK riders- trail suggestions  (Read 5736 times)

Patrick C.

Question for UK riders- trail suggestions
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
I'll be in the UK for work next month, and will be staying over a weekend. I'll be in the northwest, near Blackpool, but could take the train anywhere.  The Lake District is close by, and looks to have plenty to keep me occupied.  Any suggested routes for a cross country epic, or can't miss trail systems?  Should I look at a different area?  Thanks for any suggestions! 

Also, how easy is it to take a bike on the train?  I'll have a car service or shuttle bus back and forth from the airport (and the bike will be broken down), but I'll probably be using the bike to get to the train and for local transport wherever I go.

Sussed.

Re: Question for UK riders- trail suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »
You will have plenty of options in the Lakes to keep you occupied pal !  Hopefully you are 'near' Blackpool and not in it !

Bikes are fine on the train, on busy routes you may need to book but you should be OK in that area.  If you can hire a car and drive I would probably take that option as trails in the Lakes can be remote !

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/cyclists.aspx

I tend to do more fell walking in the Lakes rather than MTB but last time I was there I did 'The North Face' trail setting off from Grizedale.  Fantastic route, hard rocky uphill start but then lots of scenery, boardwalks, mud, gravel and forest !  Trail details can be found on this link -

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/visit.

Patrick C.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks Sussed- looks like car rental is pretty reasonable, so I may go that route.  Hopefully the bike will fit.  I've driven on the wrong side a few times, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
I've driven on the wrong side a few times, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)
"Wrong"? lol

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
Well, it's not the right side :)

Patrick C.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
I got back yesterday from the UK- had a couple of good rides last Saturday in the Lake District, plus a few rides around Blackpool, mostly on the Promenade.  It was very windy by the sea in Blackpool most days- 29" front wheels make a pretty good sail in a 25 mph crosswind.  Here's a couple of pictures in Blackpool on a less windy day-

In the Lakes District, I rode on some of the Bridleways (horse trails) and footpaths in the fells (hills/mountains) above Grasmere.  I'd scoped out a few ride routes on the internet, but the path I wound up taking wasn't really good for riding.  I think I did as much pushing and carrying as actual riding, especially on the footpath.  This is the bridleway heading up from the A591 to the saddle between Seat Sandal and Fairfield Peak.  I had planned to ride over and down to Grisdale Tarn (a lake) on the other side and beyond, but once I got to the top I just came back down.  The views were great- It was still a good ride, but I think with a more rideable route I would have really loved it. 

Looking back toward Grasmere, about 2/3 of the way up-

Nice ledge to stop and rest-

More views near the saddle-

It's a bit rocky-

One thing that surprised me were the swamps on top of mountain- the grass and other vegetation really holds water.  I assume it turns in to peat eventually-  In one spot my front wheel sank in up to the hub, but after I jumped off and pulled it out there was no rut- the bog just closed back up. 

Next I went to the Grizedale Forest mtb trails.  The 'North Face' trail is single track cut through the forest, and is very similar to trails around here.  I didn't get any good pics, but here are some borrowed ones to give you an idea.  There are several very long boardwalks over the bogs, and just about everywhere else is rocky.  Lots of fun, but a much different ride than in the open trails across the fells.

I'm not in a hurry to go back to the UK for two weeks for work, but if I do I'll try to take the bike again.

MTB2223

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
Still my favorite red color ! Love to see this bike ! But the color of the saddle ... not my thing.

And this picture, it's really AWESOME !!!!! I'm so jealous on the view. Thank you for sharing all those beautiful pictures.

Patrick C.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:59:26 PM »
Yeah, when I ordered the saddle I thought it might come out looking a bit like McDonalds colors, but I didn't really want black. I thought more red would be too much, but so far I've kept the yellow for shock value more than anything else. It's an Origin8 off Amazon. It fits me pretty well, is cheap and relatively light, and comes in pretty and not so pretty colors. Maybe white?:)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
Yeah, when I ordered the saddle I thought it might come out looking a bit like McDonalds colors, but I didn't really want black. I thought more red would be too much, but so far I've kept the yellow for shock value more than anything else. It's an Origin8 off Amazon. It fits me pretty well, is cheap and relatively light, and comes in pretty and not so pretty colors. Maybe white?:)

Sorry, that was my first thought as well when I saw the red paint with the yellow saddle.  For fun you should park the bike in front of a McDonald's and take a picture. Hopefully I have not offended you by saying so.  Cheers!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:18:09 AM »
My daughter calls it the banana seat- she's not old enough to know what a real banana seat is :)