Author Topic: HR942C rims from the drawing  (Read 4911 times)

cmh

HR942C rims from the drawing
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
So the rims showed up from the drawing, and I got a chance to get a good look at them yesterday. They look really nice, and are surprisingly light for their width. Got a couple photos of the rim itself and then some comparing it to the comparatively skinny Stan's ZTR Flow I've been running. Mounted up the same tire on a ZTR Arch, then the Flow, and then the HR942C. Mounted up a 2.4 Racing Ralph and it looks HUGE... measures an actual 2.475". Have photos of all of this, so will be sharing. Right now I'm working up my hub and spoke order, these rims are so stiff, I'm deciding to switch to Sapim Lasers - 2.0/1.5mm vs the slightly heavier 1.65mm D-Lights.

Will post the photos and update here, really looking forward to getting this build going!

cmh

Re: HR942C rims from the drawing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
Photos:

Super wide with short shoulders and lips. I found it really easy to install a tire.

Reinforced spoke holes with a 3mm offset to improve spoke tension balance. Nice!

Detail on the spoke hole reinforcement.

Comparing the HR942C to the Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow rims. I think the flow could fit inside the carbon rim!

Weights - surprisingly light for how wide - I'll make the lighter one the front.

Okay, now - how much of a difference does rim width make? Let's find out. I had a Kenda Small Block Eight 29x2.2 tire on hand, mounted up on the Bontrager Duster wheelset that came stock on my Trek Rumblefish. Measuring the tire when inflated to ~30psi:

Moving the tire to a Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow rim: Yes, wider, but not even a full 1mm wider.

Moving the tire to the HR942C rim: Ignore the tilt (and the out of focus) on the calipers, I did the measurement and am holding the camera and calipers in a precarious balance. Surprising - all that extra rim width and only 4mm wider at the tire.

I also had a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.4 on hand, so I mounted that up, and it's starting to look seriously big, not quite 29+ range, but comparing it to a 29x2.2 on a race rim: That's a full 62.9mm wide, 2.475"!

Next is ordering spokes and hubs.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:52 PM »
Nice work!  Thanks for the write up and posting all this great info!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
Nice work!  Thanks for the write up and posting all this great info!

No worries, having fun with it.

Latest update, I measured the ERD today and got 592-592.5mm, listed is 595mm. Measured both rims and found this to be the case - an ERD difference of 3mm means a difference in required spoke length of 2mm in my 3x build. I've been bitten by carbon rims having an ERD different than listed before, so I'm glad I checked.

Have recently become a big fan of hex-head spoke nipples for making a build much easier, but neither the Park tool or the Wiha nut driver I have in the necessary 5.5mm size fit through the holes in the rim's inner wall. The Wiha measures an outer diameter of 7.8mm, but the holes in the rim are slightly smaller. DT makes a very nice looking Squorx nipple with a smaller torx head on the end that should work with a slimmer tool, so I've ordered up some of those, and it also looks that the spokes will go into the nipple farther, reinforcing the nipple head. I've seen this in prebuilt wheels before, but haven't seen something like this available for the non-pro builder, so this is pretty cool. I'll wait for the nipples to show up, then use them to re-measure the ERD, then I'll finally order up the parts. Taking my time with this build.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 04:25:20 PM »
Hey cmh, any chance you could do some wheel work for me?  I'd love to swap out my DT Swiss rims for a set of HR942C rims and reuse my DT swiss hubs.  It may be a bit of a hassle for me to ship everything to you though, I'll also check with my favorite local bike shop mechanic.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
Awesome info/pics, cmh.. Thanks for taking the time to gather it and post it all up!

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
Agreed. Very useful info. After this thread, I'm thinking that HR942C and Racing Ralph 2.4 combo might be exactly the I'm looking for. Have been very intrigued by 29+ option but judging from the pic you posted the aforementioned combo looks plenty big enough. Still going to keep looking at 29+ and wait to see what comes out in the next couple of months but this combo moved to the top of the list for now. Thanks!

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
What hubs you plan on building them up with?

Also, I haven't been to this fine town in a while - I see I missed out on some drawings for some pretty sweet gear!

cmh

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
Agreed. Very useful info. After this thread, I'm thinking that HR942C and Racing Ralph 2.4 combo might be exactly the I'm looking for. Have been very intrigued by 29+ option but judging from the pic you posted the aforementioned combo looks plenty big enough. Still going to keep looking at 29+ and wait to see what comes out in the next couple of months but this combo moved to the top of the list for now. Thanks!

No worries, glad to help!

Latest update is I'm waiting for a delivery of DT Swiss squorx spoke nipples that were back ordered. Interesting design I want to check out further, but hard as hell to find both in stock and not for a ridiculous amount of money.

Rigid_Bloke - planning on building with hubs from BikeHubStore.com which are Bitex, from what I've heard. Built another set with those recently, and I was really impressed. Have heard good things, and like working with BHS, so

cmh

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 11:50:13 AM »
Hey cmh, any chance you could do some wheel work for me?  I'd love to swap out my DT Swiss rims for a set of HR942C rims and reuse my DT swiss hubs.  It may be a bit of a hassle for me to ship everything to you though, I'll also check with my favorite local bike shop mechanic.

CD, I can, certainly, but I can't promise timeliness. :D I've got this wheelset build, plus a road wheelset build for a friend, and free time for these builds is not as plentiful as I'd want. Plus, like you said, there's the shipping thing. If that's okay with you, I could definitely do it.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Cmh, no problem.  If I order a set of carbon hoops, my LBS buddy is more than willing to rebuild my wheels.  Those DT Swiss nipples look like they'd be really easy to work with.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Cmh, no problem.  If I order a set of carbon hoops, my LBS buddy is more than willing to rebuild my wheels.  Those DT Swiss nipples look like they'd be really easy to work with.

Looking forward to trying those out. The seller I'm getting them from said they're supposed to receive them tomorrow, so hopefully I'll see them soon!

I've heard good things about those rims, as well - they look like they've nicely ripped off Stan's design, and then the nipples and washers ship with the rims, so those should make some nice wheels. Turns out, though, I've already got some nice rims to build with. :D