Author Topic: Should I get the 057 or 256??  (Read 116603 times)

RS VR6

Re: Should I get the 057 or 256??
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
So is there a preferred vendor when I comes to price and reliability? :o

jonxmack

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 04:24:33 AM »
Peter @ IPlay
Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

snipe

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
anybody had any issues with the replaceable dropouts on either 057 or 256.   I look at the thickness of the carbon flanges and the screws that hold the dropouts on and it makes me a little uneasy.    As compared to the frames that have dedicated QR permanent dropouts.   

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »
I have not had any problems, nor have I read about anyone else who has had any problems with the rear drop outs on the Chiner frames.  Both of mine have 12x142 thru axle.  The drop outs fit nicely and screw down through the frame to the other side of the dropout.  It should not be a concern you need to worry about.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2015, 07:16:01 AM »
Regardless if you chose IP-057 or IP-256, or even some other model, I highly recommend the following options when people order their frame:

Bottom bracket -->  My recommendation is to choose BSA if possible.
BSA has proven reliability, large bearing surfaces, works with most all crank options, no press tools required, far fewer instances of creaking or bearing problems.

UD/3K/12k carbon weave --> UD is said to be the lightest but is very plain looking (no weave), 3k is the typical, classic, tight carbon weave pattern and is what I like, 12k is a wide weave.  See picture below:

Matte/Glossy Finish:  This is personal preference, both look great.

Don't forget, many of the Chinese vendors will also paint your frame a custom color/pattern for around $75 extra.  Rather than getting a plain black frame, consider a custom paint job, they have some great colors available.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Zabran

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »
Regardless if you chose IP-057 or IP-256, or even some other model, I highly recommend the following options when people order their frame:

BSA has proven reliability, large bearing surfaces, works with most all crank options, no press tools required, far fewer instances of creaking or bearing problems.

UD/3K/12k carbon weave --> UD is said to be the lightest but is very plain looking (no weave), 3k is the typical, classic, tight carbon weave pattern and is what I like, 12k is a wide weave.  See picture below:

Don't forget, many of the Chinese vendors will also paint your frame a custom color/pattern for around $75 extra.  Rather than getting a plain black frame, consider a custom paint job, they have some great colors available.

Two questions:

1.) My mechanic friend tells me PF30 is the better BB style to use.  Is it generally passed over by most due to needing press tools to install the cups/bearings?

2.) Are all of these bikes built with a UD base weave, then the top most layer is customized for the look of certain weaves?  I heard that UD was the strongest of the weaves, and thats why most new CF bikes are UD?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »

Two questions:

1.) My mechanic friend tells me PF30 is the better BB style to use.  Is it generally passed over by most due to needing press tools to install the cups/bearings?

2.) Are all of these bikes built with a UD base weave, then the top most layer is customized for the look of certain weaves?  I heard that UD was the strongest of the weaves, and thats why most new CF bikes are UD?

I still recommend to everyone to stay away from PF bottom brackets, they are more difficult to perform routine maintenance and there have been plenty reports of creaking BB as well as bearings wearing out prematurely.  Maybe your mechanic friend sees better implementations of the  press fit bottom brackets, but for the Chiner frames, I'd stick with the proven BSA threaded bottom bracket.  Easy to service and compatible with most any brand of crankset.

Yes, I believe that is correct for the carbon layers, they are UD (or actually UD layers applied at 90 deg angles) with a UD, 3k, or 12k layer as the outer layer (actually it's the first layer put into the mold).  I have one frame that is UD the other 3k, both look good but the 3k weave is more what most people think of when they see carbon fiber.  If you are getting the entire frame painted, I'd go with UD as it won't matter what the top layer looks like before painting.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Zabran

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
I went with UD topweave with gloss coating to save money on black paint :D

Bertzhong

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2015, 11:49:15 PM »

Two questions:

Hi, actually, ud is lighter than 3K,  it is hard to say ud and 3k which one is stronger. it is depend on the construction of frame. and most of  frames, we use 3k on the corner to strengthen the frame.

John75

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2018, 11:28:11 PM »
Hello

Will the CS-057 and OHR930C rims work with the SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed with a 38T front ring?

Thank you
John

bremerradkurier

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »

Two questions:

BSA is also easier to live with if you have internal cable routing and need to install new ones.