Author Topic: Dropper Post for 057  (Read 8103 times)

bdub

Dropper Post for 057
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Would like to get a dropper post for my 057 but not sure how I would route the line back to the handlebars. Anybody using one on their 057?

cmh

Re: Dropper Post for 057
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
Would like to get a dropper post for my 057 but not sure how I would route the line back to the handlebars. Anybody using one on their 057?

I haven't dealt with a dropper post install at all - I know some are externally routed but guessing you're talking about something like the Reverb. If you're running a 1x drivetrain, then I would guess you could use the routing hole for the front derailleur cable, drill it out, and run the hose through there, down the down tube and up the seat tube. Completely a guess, but that's where I'd start.

Patrick C.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:23:37 AM »
Interested as well, but I'm still not sold on the dropper idea.  Maybe I just don't ride enough downhill, or my seat is too low to begin with, but I never have a problem getting off the back.  I guess when the seat hits me hard in the stomach I'll decide to try one out.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
Interested as well, but I'm still not sold on the dropper idea.  Maybe I just don't ride enough downhill, or my seat is too low to begin with, but I never have a problem getting off the back.  I guess when the seat hits me hard in the stomach I'll decide to try one out.

I've got a photo of Catharine Pendrel doing the rock drop in Kabush Falls at Windham from this past weekend, she's got the saddle at full height, and she's WAY back, almost hitting the back tire with her butt, the saddle an inch from her chest. I'd post a link but I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet. :)

Tanja Zakelj had been running a dropper post last year, but when we saw her at Windham, it was a standard post.

Mind you, what World Cup XCO racers do on their bikes doesn't have much to do with what we should do, just thought of them. Apparenly last year Nino Schurter won a bet against some of the Red Bull Rampage style riders by riding a particular trail with no dropper post on his XC race bike.

I see the point of the dropper post, but for me I'm just so used to riding with it at XC height, it feels strange. Quite sure if I spent the time to force myself to learn it, the benefits would be real, so I won't poo-poo them quite yet. :D

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
My other concern is hitting to button at the wrong time and whacking myself in the nuts  :o

bdub

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
In the past I never found a need, but since moving to this bike my first 29er I feel like it is a bit hard to get way back and my butt down on techy stuff. I may try to find a cheap externally routed post to just try out and see if it helps.

cmh

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »
In the past I never found a need, but since moving to this bike my first 29er I feel like it is a bit hard to get way back and my butt down on techy stuff. I may try to find a cheap externally routed post to just try out and see if it helps.

Well, make sure you post back with your findings!

325racer

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
No help with routing, but I run an external routed Reverb on my Santa Cruz, with it being a long travel 29er, its nice to drop the post for the downhill stuff.   I've been thinking about a dropper for the 057, because fo whatever reason I can't quite get behind the seat like I'd want.   Would love the LEV carbon 65mm travel post, but at $500, way to expensive.

Once you add one, you'll find at first you don't use it as much or drop it as far as you can.   After some use, drop it often and all the way and you'll find more downhill speed.

bdub

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
No help with routing, but I run an external routed Reverb on my Santa Cruz, with it being a long travel 29er, its nice to drop the post for the downhill stuff.   I've been thinking about a dropper for the 057, because fo whatever reason I can't quite get behind the seat like I'd want.   Would love the LEV carbon 65mm travel post, but at $500, way to expensive.

Once you add one, you'll find at first you don't use it as much or drop it as far as you can.   After some use, drop it often and all the way and you'll find more downhill speed.

Going to pick up one up if I can find a good deal. They are so damn expensive for what they are.

325racer

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »

Going to pick up one up if I can find a good deal. They are so damn expensive for what they are.

Actually when you think about what they are some aren't that bad.  The Reverb is essentially half a front shock with lockout lever.   Last year Reverbs are usually a good deal, lots of people I ride with like the KS LEV's, but I like the Reverb.  I think the thing is, not many people have really used a multitude of them to give a really good comparison.  You get one and stick with it and either it works or it doesn't.

MTB2223

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 04:02:09 AM »
Maybe the new MAGURA’s Vyron wireless dropper post is something for you :)
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/eurobike-2015-maguras-new-vyron-wireless-dropper-post/

cmh

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
Maybe the new MAGURA’s Vyron wireless dropper post is something for you :)
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/eurobike-2015-maguras-new-vyron-wireless-dropper-post/

a) Get your friend to buy this post.
b) Pair the post with your phone while he's not looking
c) Drop it at the start of a big climb as you attack.
d) profit.

bdub

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:08:07 AM »
That post looks sweet, to bad it's over $500. Wouldn't look good having a seat post that cost more than my frame.

Vipassana

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »
That post looks sweet, to bad it's over $500. Wouldn't look good having a seat post that cost more than my frame.

I dunno... I have a bike that cost twice as much as my car.  ;D

bdub

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »

I dunno... I have a bike that cost twice as much as my car.  ;D

Yes I would like to have one that cost as much as my car. Unfortunately I would like to stay married to the wife.  ;)