Chinese Carbon MTB > Fat Bikes

My N019 Build, NASA themed!

<< < (2/13) > >>

cmh:
Great build! I've gotta say based on my experience, you're doing it the right way. Can't wait to see how this comes together for you! Especially good call on going with the HuskerDu tires, that's the one tire I have heard absolutely nothing but raves about. Considered getting a set for my bike except $$$. You've invested wisely there.

Really glad my early info provided some help! I'm sure gonna be watching this thread!

rvc:

--- Quote from: MTNRCKT on October 12, 2015, 06:50:18 PM ---Awesome! Thanks for sharing.. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the final result.

Really digging the NASA theme too. Have you considered having Peter paint the carbon rims? Maybe NASA blue. Just a thought.

--- End quote ---

Thanks man. I got the idea for the NASA bike when I was in Houston at the Rocket Park. They have a full Saturn V laying down indoors and the scale of it is simply astounding.

I thought about doing blue rims actually, but after seeing a few fatbikes with painted rims it looked a little Walmarty to me. I dunno. Here's a pic that Peter sent me as an example of a painted rim and a custom painted N010. (not mine)

I ended up going with black spokes, silver nipples and Gloss 3K weave finish for that extra carbon jewelry effect. I'm pretty excited about it, even though it means waiting another 3 weeks to have them made.

rvc:

--- Quote from: cmh on October 12, 2015, 08:58:31 PM ---Great build! I've gotta say based on my experience, you're doing it the right way. Can't wait to see how this comes together for you! Especially good call on going with the HuskerDu tires, that's the one tire I have heard absolutely nothing but raves about. Considered getting a set for my bike except $$$. You've invested wisely there.

Really glad my early info provided some help! I'm sure gonna be watching this thread!

--- End quote ---

Thanks cmh! I was really close to buying the Panaracer Fat B Nimble as they are very similar to the HuDu's but about 1/2 the price. eBay has the Panaracers at about $116/pr, and they weigh an amazing 1180grams or so. Only catch is that when mounted they are only really about 3.5" wide (ha... "only") instead of 4" and they self-steer a lot at lower pressures (sub 8psi). I mulled for a while about it... but there's a moment when I realized that I'm already spending 2k on a bike, why risk the handling and grip for $100. I think it's better money spent than health insurance too. :)

cmh:

--- Quote from: rvc on October 12, 2015, 10:40:38 PM ---Thanks cmh! I was really close to buying the Panaracer Fat B Nimble as they are very similar to the HuDu's but about 1/2 the price. eBay has the Panaracers at about $116/pr, and they weigh an amazing 1180grams or so. Only catch is that when mounted they are only really about 3.5" wide (ha... "only") instead of 4" and they self-steer a lot at lower pressures (sub 8psi). I mulled for a while about it... but there's a moment when I realized that I'm already spending 2k on a bike, why risk the handling and grip for $100. I think it's better money spent than health insurance too. :)

--- End quote ---

Funny, having seen HuDu's mounted on 65mm rims, I was amused how skinny they looked. Agreed with the proper allocation of your tire budget, too. Was considering getting a pair but thinking I'm going to hold off and get some 5" rubber to see if it helps through the winter. I've already got fast tires on the other two bikes, so no need trying to make the fat bike speedy. :)

MTNRCKT:
Yeah, I guess I can see what you mean with the "Walmarty" effect. When I suggested that, I wasn't really taking into consideration that they were fat bike rims. That's a whole lot of color, and would dominate the overall appearance of the bike. I think your choice to go with the 3k weave was a good one. That should look really nice and definitely be worth the 3 weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version