Author Topic: My IP-056 build....W.I.P  (Read 6220 times)

manmythlegend

My IP-056 build....W.I.P
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »
Whats up guys. So this is my build in a large nutshell.

THE FORM....
Frame: IP-056 Cant find my notes but was IIRC 1480-1530 grams with paint. 21" QR rear.
Paint was 80 took them an extra 7 days,total shipping time from order to door was around 17 days. (400+80 paint+80shipping)
Fork: Marzocchi Corsa SL ($275)
Headset: XMIs "FSA" headset ($25)
Stem: Ravx Tempo 70mm
Handlebars: XMI Carbon 700mm ($40)
Rear Shifter: SLX 660 ($29)
Rear Derailleur: SLX M663 (not sure if its long cage or short) ($40)

DRIVETRAIN and spinning stuff.
Brakes: Started with BB7s  but rotor rub became an ongoing issue along with difficulty with initial cabling setup. Currently Shimano Deore 596 ($120 w rotors). Was impatient in hindsight should have waited for XT deal as others mentioned.
Rotors: 160MM RT-56 rotors
Crankset and Bottom Bracket: Shimano M670 triple converted to single chain ring ($99)
Chain: Shimano XT HG94 ($35)
Cassette: SLX HG-81 ($40)
Pedals: Deity Compounds ($45)
Wheels: Initially Sun Ringle Black Flag , Currently XMI Carbon wheelset with Novatec hubs. ($239)
Tires:WTB Nano ($40e)

Comfy-Makers and glam

Seatpost: Thompson Masterpiece setback ($70 on EB)
Seat: WTB Speed V
Grips: ESI Extra chunky
Post clamp: Generic from Amazon.
Cables: Jagwire white braided for RD , Silver braided Hydraulic Hoses. ($60)
Weight: 24.1 pounds with pedals , and non weenie tubes.

Like others I had headset issues , even after shimming. Ordered Cane Creeks. We'll see how that goes. I went with the "Niner" look for initial painy as they are IMHO the best looking frames around.  Im still not done with Frame decaling. I have a few PhotoShop renders I cant decide on. So not sure if plastidip ,airbrush or vinyls will be how I finish up the frame.
I went into this build with more of a "every piece handpicked and installed by me" "best bang for the buck" mentality more than an all out weight weenie approach. It took me over a month to accumulate all the parts waiting for good deals , lucking out on CL , and some long shipping times. It took me another few weeks to get everything dialed in right as I only had "basic" bike knowledge at that point. Ive learned ALOT which was most of the reason why I endeavored.

All in all putting this thing together is as much fun as Ive had with any project since my first PC build a decade ago...or tricking out my BMX as a kid. NYC is full of fixies ,and rusted trackbikes so having something completely out of the ordinary is great. Ive lost count how many times people look and say "how can you ride such a heavy thing"...then have them lift it and realize its as light as their road bike. No one has any idea what brand it is , or where I got it from.  ;D  This bike is WAY above my skill set on trails but I love MTBs so F it. Not sure what I have to add to the knowledge base but Ill answer any questions.

Frame arrival

Year later first day swapping out brake lines and about to put on decals.

Super tempted to speed up and splash the birds. :P

First light trail ride of '14

BMX/Skate park practicing track stands , stairs , and getting used to brakes.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:26:45 AM by manmythlegend »

Sitar_Ned

Re: My IP-056 build....W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »
Very nice ManMythLegend! One of the sickest graphics schemes I've seen so far.

Highly impressed that you put that bike together for $1500. You did say you had some parts you swapped over from another build, correct? Just asking bc staying at $1500 was a challenge for me and ended up having to bump up the budget to 2k. That said.. I had to buy absolutely everything.

Also.. can you tell me about who you used to have the graphics printed up? And what kind of options work best as far as what material to use etc? I'm actually in the process of having some forum stickers printed up, but simply had a small rectangular sticker in mind.. I'm very interested in going with the more custom decal look as you did, rather than just a plain rectangular sticker. Actually, I'd probably do both. Any info is appreciated.

Another thing.. How much do you weigh and do you find that the Black Flags are enough wheel for you?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:37:15 AM by Sitar_Ned »

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:08:43 AM »

Brakes: Started with BB7s but rotor rub became an ongoing issue along with difficulty with initial cabling setup. Currently Shimano Deore 596 ($120 w rotors). Was impatient in hindsight should have waited for XT deal as others mentioned.

Agree with SN - Great job on the build spend and graphics!

As for the brakes.. These are the ones to get imo: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802
Reviews say they can't tell much diff between the Deores and the XTs

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
Nice B&W paint & graphics on your IP-057!  If you have any trails nearby, definitely go ride them, your bike can handle some very technical single track.  Also, consider adding some clipless pedals when you are on the trail, they will give you tons more control.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

manmythlegend

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:01:57 PM »
Very nice ManMythLegend! One of the sickest graphics schemes I've seen so far.

Highly impressed that you put that bike together for $1500. You did say you had some parts you swapped over from another build, correct? Just asking bc staying at $1500 was a challenge for me and ended up having to bump up the budget to 2k. That said.. I had to buy absolutely everything.

Also.. can you tell me about who you used to have the graphics printed up? And what kind of options work best as far as what material to use etc? I'm actually in the process of having some forum stickers printed up, but simply had a small rectangular sticker in mind.. I'm very interested in going with the more custom decal look as you did, rather than just a plain rectangular sticker. Actually, I'd probably do both. Any info is appreciated.

Another thing.. How much do you weigh and do you find that the Black Flags are enough wheel for you?

Yes I had a stem , pedals , a Thompson straight post , SD7 brake levers , grips , and seat as transplant parts. That easily would have pushed it to well over 1700. Numerous parts were from amazon prime ,blueskycycling or scouring for unused Jenson and other coupon codes and waiting eons for "free 5 -1million days" shipping.
It certainly taught me that very few parts in cycling are worth paying full retail for if ever. Updates OP with some more accurate pricing.

As for stickers I had read good things about several, but doityourselflettering.com guys were fantastic. I wasnt in love with their Font selection online so I ended up mocking up the writing in photoshop and sending it via email. They ship super fast , and were very courteous on the phone with my 101 questions and cleared up an issue instantly. Are you printing up a logo to place on the bike ?  I cant speak on longevity but as far as installation and appearance they were super easy considering its on both a matte and gloss finish. Most people cant tell its vinyl they think it was painted on. Id definitely go vinyl decal over a sticker. Just looks much better as theres no 'clear plastic' look to it.

I weigh 200 + whatever Im packing, the Black Flags were "good" , definitely reliable and love the loud hub buzz ,but the rear wheel went out of true a few times (not its fault Im still mediocre and land very heavy). My gripe was them being listed as 1850grams but weighing in at about 2100 grams. I caved to winter blues and bought the carbon wheelset. Cant say they are worth almost 3 times the price of the Black Flags but they certainly are lighter.

Agree with SN - Great job on the build spend and graphics!

As for the brakes.. These are the ones to get imo: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802
Reviews say they can't tell much diff between the Deores and the XTs

Agreed , those were on my hitlist , in hindsight I probably should have been patient. But the 596s were on Amazon prime and reviews are superb across the board with shimano brakes so I said ok.

Nice B&W paint & graphics on your IP-057!  If you have any trails nearby, definitely go ride them, your bike can handle some very technical single track.  Also, consider adding some clipless pedals when you are on the trail, they will give you tons more control.

I would have gone clipless from the beginning. But I have to go through some pretty lousy traffic including NYC cabs on way to trails. If I find some trafficless ways I may do that. Hopefully flats help me build up some skills in the meantime.

Thanks !!! to all of you guys for the comments.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:09:36 PM by manmythlegend »

Chadding

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Really nice looking build there.

In my experience at 200 lbs yuo ight want to step up to the flow rims - for anybody may be trying to make that decision.