Author Topic: Unbelievable deal!  (Read 10373 times)

Andy

Re: Unbelievable deal!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
No problem.  And a good lesson learned.  The resale on these Chiner frames and wheels is HORRIBLE!!!!  You practically can't give this stuff away. 

SportingGoods

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 04:26:44 AM »
You practically can't give this stuff away. 
Is that really a surprise to you? Well, consider 2 things:
1) This forum is the last place on earth where someone will pick your bike. People here like to build their bike. Yes, it's not just for the good price that we buy Chiner. We like to spec what we want, put it together ourselves. And then be proud of it.
2) Then, it will be very tough to sell outside of "our" world. Who would pay 1200$ for a unknown bike (and really, outside of our world, this bike is unknown). People on the second hand market want a big brand bike. They can't afford a new Specialized, Cannon... so they buy it second hand. They can trust a Lapierre but why would they trust a Chiner?

So, who wants a second hand Chiner? No-one, really. Maybe a local friend of yours, a ride buddy, a relative.

Edit: AFAIK the Reba can't fit larger then 2.8" tires. I mean real values (meaning 70 mm wide). At least my Reba can't :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:57:14 AM by SportingGoods »

bxcc

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:53:36 AM »
No problem.  And a good lesson learned.  The resale on these Chiner frames and wheels is HORRIBLE!!!!  You practically can't give this stuff away.

Unfortunately I have to agree. This is a great deal you are offering though. I listed my WW 062 frame locally for $450 or best offer with no takers. It included the rear dropouts, headset and the full carbon fork. I even gave a $700 package deal with XTR M9000 rear brake and DT Swiss wheels and no one would bite on that either. I think the "generic" brand scares people. Most think generic carbon will explode on the first hit. I guess the only plus side is that having a $500 (my case anyway) frame you can't sell is still better than paying $1800 for a name brand carbon HT and selling it for $1000.

On another note, Good luck with conversion. I opted to keep mine too but made it a singlespeed. How much clearance does that frame have in the back?

SportingGoods

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 03:46:18 AM »
It's true that if you plan to resale your bike, then a Chiner is not that attractive anymore. If you plan to keep it (or pass it to your kid) it's definitely the best deal.
If you like to change often and resale, the best deal is to buy a well trusted bike second hand. You don't loose much on the resale if you take good care of the bike.

I still like to ride something different, something that I tweak exactly the way I want :)

Andy

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
You practically can't give this stuff away. 
Is that really a surprise to you? Well, consider 2 things:
1) This forum is the last place on earth where someone will pick your bike. People here like to build their bike. Yes, it's not just for the good price that we buy Chiner. We like to spec what we want, put it together ourselves. And then be proud of it.
2) Then, it will be very tough to sell outside of "our" world. Who would pay 1200$ for a unknown bike (and really, outside of our world, this bike is unknown). People on the second hand market want a big brand bike. They can't afford a new Specialized, Cannon... so they buy it second hand. They can trust a Lapierre but why would they trust a Chiner?

So, who wants a second hand Chiner? No-one, really. Maybe a local friend of yours, a ride buddy, a relative.

Edit: AFAIK the Reba can't fit larger then 2.8" tires. I mean real values (meaning 70 mm wide). At least my Reba can't :)

Andy

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
Not true.  The 27.5 x3.5 FatBNimble tire  fits in the Reba.  And it's even mounted on a wide 35mm rim.

SportingGoods

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:25 AM »
Do you get a Boost Reba?

I own a regular Reba (110 mm axle), my tire is 70 mm wide (measured on the widest point of the tire) and I could not fit anything larger. How wide is really your 3.5 tire? Maybe that's the trick. But 2.8" is precisely 71,1 mm and there is no way my fork will take safely anything larger.

3.5" = 89 mm !