Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Elliptical Chainrings. Thoughts?

<< < (2/9) > >>

carbonazza:

--- Quote from: cmh on April 22, 2016, 08:51:53 PM ---COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY BY ... absolutely nothing at all
--- End quote ---
Even on steep climbs? That's where I saw a difference.
I have a 36/34 now, coming from a 28 two years ago.
I probably couldn't do some climbs around here with a round 36.
And with that ring, I can even challenge some road bikes too.
Too bad it didn't work.

cmh:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on April 23, 2016, 06:10:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: cmh on April 22, 2016, 08:51:53 PM ---COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY BY ... absolutely nothing at all
--- End quote ---
Too bad it didn't work.

--- End quote ---

Around here, the only steep climbs are short, so those are usually done out of the saddle, full gas, get it over with. No miracles there.

I think riding style contributes greatly to how well an oval ring works for a particular rider. For me, my riding style (whatever it may be) just didn't seem to be benefitted.

RS VR6:

--- Quote from: carbonazza on April 23, 2016, 06:10:48 AM ---
--- End quote ---
Too bad it didn't work.

--- End quote ---

Good example was a ride I did a few days ago. The final kicker out of the trail was short, steep, with roots. Friend with the fat bike stopped halfway up trying to power up it. I put it in the 42 and spun my way up and out. I can't say I won't make it a round ring...but the smoother pedal stoke didn't hurt either.

Like anything else...it takes time to adapt. If you don't give it that time...you won't really know it you like it or not. Just like clipless pedals.

cmh:
Gave it plenty of time. I rode Biopace back in the day and didn't notice a difference with that. Must be the bottomless well of watts I have to draw from.  ;D

325racer:
Everything I've read is that the new ones are the opposite oval compared to BioPace.

That said I just pulled the trigger on a Absolute Black Oval 34T Red ring.  I'll be doing a race next Thursday evening, so I'll let you know how it goes.  Not only is it oval, but I'm going up from a 32 round......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version