Author Topic: New Build - Crowdsource Forum Project  (Read 9946 times)

doaskid

New Build - Crowdsource Forum Project
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
Hi there.

First time caller long term lurker.

I am in the market for a new 29er and I thought it would be a good idea (maybe) that I open this journey to the forum.

My idea is that this forum helps me select, purchase, build a new Chiner with me providing photographs and a diary of my process and build.  The idea being that together as a forum we can provide some further knowledge about these products and hopefully help others who land here.

I have between $4000 and $5000 to spend all in.
I am experienced in procuring frames and parts from abroad.
I have built several road bikes from the ground up but no MTB's
I am UK based.
Love quality at bargain prices.

All I am asking for is some time and patients to possibly dumb questions and in return I will provide as much detail as you ask/ I have the time to give.

Is this of interest to anyone?

Is this

Carbon_Dude

Re: New Build - Crowdsource Forum Project
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
So, essentially, you want to do what everyone else on this forum, MTBR, and many blogs have already done.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like about your build, however, what you are proposing is nothing new.  This forum exists for individuals who have a budget, want help with component selection, need advice, or have problems they need answers to.  Look forward to seeing your build, just post any questions and I'm sure you will get them answered quickly.

Your first decision will be hardtail or full suspension.  Looking at your budget, you can build either.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

doaskid

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »
Ok no problem.

I thought it might be of interest to this forum that was all.

If I get stuck I will post a question or two.

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
$4000 to $5000 makes it pretty easy, even for a full suspension.  XTR or XX1, a top of the line fork, and carbon wheels (though maybe not the most expensive ones) should get you in under $5000, even with a few replacement parts. 

Please do post your components list along with where you got them and price if you're comfortable sharing, but if you really want to challenge the group ask for help keeping it under $2000:)

brmeyer135

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
What are you building this for?
   Going to race?

brmeyer135

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
posting troubles...continuing ---
    XC marathon or short?
    or cyclocross
  AM type setup
  or highend commuter

With that kind of budget, I would build a low weight racer.

doaskid

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
@Patrick C  - Yep I will post everything I can if it is relevant and helps others.
@brmeyer135 - I am going to race in events like http://www.cape-epic.com/

Currently chewing over this frame http://goo.gl/ov7iZC which looks like an ALMOST straight lift from the Specailized Enduro.

brmeyer135

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
Looks good and one that I haven't heard any speak of before.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
@Patrick C  - Yep I will post everything I can if it is relevant and helps others.

Currently chewing over this frame http://goo.gl/ov7iZC which looks like an ALMOST straight lift from the Specailized Enduro.

The race looks like it would be a tough race on any bike.  I checked out the video, which was awesome by the way, and riders had a mix of XC hard tail and XC full suspension bikes.  The FS bikes appeared to have around 100mm of travel.  No sense in getting a bike that has more travel than you need.  You say the frame is a copy of a Specialized Enduro, that bike has 155mm of rear travel.  Do you plan on doing a lot of knarly downhill?  That's a lot of travel for a bike that you would use for an 8 day, 450 mile, endurance race.

I don't know anything about the frame you posted, but an IP-036 along with a 100mm travel fork would be a good starting point.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:42:02 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »

Hmm.. First time seeing this frame - Looks sweet. There's a whole market of people waiting for a more all mountain chiner to be released.

I agree with the sentiment that maybe this is more frame than you need? Then again.. you will be doing more than just this single race with it, and we don't know your experience and skill level. It may be that it's not too much frame for you.. I actually really want to see you build this out with that frame simply bc it's new to me, but would hate to steer you wrong. I'll echo what brmeyer asked when he inquired as to how you would describe your riding style? Basically, cross country or all mountain? An 036 as suggested above may be your best bet. Know of any better pics of that frame?

And ask all the questions you like.. We love to build bike vicariously through other people! I understand what you meant with your original post.. in that it would be the forum that builds the bike... Not you building the bike and then verifying and asking questions. A lil twist on crowd sourcing. Not sure if it would turn out like you want it to.. but would be interesting. I think it's a really cool idea.

Here's a ridiculous deal on a stem that I keep posting lol: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Easton/Easton-Haven-Stem-2012.axd

Probably not the best one if your answer to the riding style question is "all mountain" as they tend to be a bit on the shorter side.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 07:05:12 PM »
You're right about it being ALMOST like a Specialized Epic:

I have to wonder why they don't just straight up replicate it.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:24:12 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »

You mean Specialized Enduro :).  If it were a copy of an Epic, I'd be ordering the frame myself and finding a Brain Shock on eBay to go with it.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »

You mean Specialized Enduro :).  If it were a copy of an Epic, I'd be ordering the frame myself and finding a Brain Shock on eBay to go with it.

Oops.. yes, Enduro.

I want to go ahead and call dibs on your 036 frame when you order that Epic chiner within 6-12 months ;)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
If I needed a bike with 150+mm of travel, that frame looks sweet though.  However, if you check the rear pivots, they are not in the same place as the Specialized Enduro, might be insignificant but then again, it could have a slightly different travel sweep path.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:35:50 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

doaskid

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 01:18:28 AM »
Geo for Enduro and Chiner
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:20:56 AM by doaskid »