Author Topic: New System for Tubeless Sealant  (Read 7420 times)

Carbon_Dude

New System for Tubeless Sealant
« on: June 01, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
I just saw this and am fairly impressed.  MilKit has taken a hard look at the tubeless mountain bike tire and how to best manage adding sealant.   They say the system is available in the US through Amazon.

http://www.milkit.bike

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:02:45 AM by Carbon_Dude »

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

karstenhorn

Re: New System for Tubeless Sealant
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

SportingGoods

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »
I just use a 2€ syringe from the pharmacy. A free piece of tube and then I fill my tire once I have set the tire (though the valve after removing the central part).
If I add a smaller tube long enough to go to the bottom of the tire I get a Milkit :)
Really, 2€ + stuff you find for free...

325racer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:53:31 PM »
Major problem with this system, especially for Orange Seal, is that the small tube will clog up with the good bits.  IE. "Nano Particles"  = Glitter, that is used to clog larger leaks. 

I put in extra glitter every time I fill up my tires and I know it would certainly clog up that small of a tube.

Overall good idea, except the clogging issue.

MTB2223

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
I just use a 2€ syringe from the pharmacy. A free piece of tube and then I fill my tire once I have set the tire (though the valve after removing the central part).
If I add a smaller tube long enough to go to the bottom of the tire I get a Milkit :)
Really, 2€ + stuff you find for free...
;D

Patrick C.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:21 AM »
Are the valve cores easier to remove?  They didn't mention that so maybe not.  My biggest complaint with the Stan's valves is that the cores can be a pain to remove and replace. 

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
My trick that works so far, is if I see rather big darker spots on my tire when it is dry. I still have sealant.
If the spots become small or there isn't anymore. Refill.

cmh

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
I just saw this and am fairly impressed.  MilKit has taken a hard look at the tubeless mountain bike tire and how to best manage adding sealant.   They say the system is available in the US through Amazon.

Sweet merciful crap. $55.

I've actually tried almost exactly this with an $8 baster syringe very similar to this one.

I've found an old spoke to be excellent for checking sealant level, pull the valve core and use the threaded end as a dipstick. Barely have to do that, as I can get a pretty good idea of how much sealant is left by just shaking the tire.

"The Milkit valves keep the air inside, even without the valve core..." Uh. Okay. So how do you bleed down tire pressure? Or, for that matter, how would you even _measure_ tire pressure?

"...which makes fast inflation easier." No, it introduces some sort of flow restriction. I've had tires which wouldn't seat when the valve was installed but seated fine when I shot air in without the valve body in the way. I've got a blow gun I modified with a hose to a silca pump head which I use for seating tires because it delivers more air faster than a conventional inflator.

Cool that it uses the trapped air pressure to push out the sealant, I'll give it that, but I was able to accomplish the same by drawing up the basting syringe. Plus, such a skinny tube could clog very easily.

They show the guy refilling the syringe by drawing off the top of a filled Stan's scoop - so all the particles would be settled to the bottom and you'd just be injecting liquid sealant and reducing the sealing capability of the sealant for bigger holes.

Most definitely wouldn't work with the new Stan's race sealant. The "particles" are flat plastic strips about 1x5mm, and I have verified their claim that you can't shoot it through a valve body. Clogs that right up. I wonder how well even lightly clumped particles in the normal Stan's sealant would go through the injector body.

For filling, I still find the 2oz container of Stan's shot through the valve body (core removed) to be by far the best/easiest solution. Even the Stan's sealant injector was a disappointment.

Would be interested to hear the opinion of someone who has it/tried it, but I remain unconvinced this solves any problem that doesn't already have a cheaper solution.

Are the valve cores easier to remove?  They didn't mention that so maybe not.  My biggest complaint with the Stan's valves is that the cores can be a pain to remove and replace. 

Harder than other valves? It's the same type of valve, and it's the same valve core as others. Haven't found any issues with the Stan's valves when using the Stan's valve core remover, so not sure what issues you're running into.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
CMH, I'd mostly agree with you.  I suppose nobody came up with this before since there are easier and cheaper ways of managing the sealant without other new problems that a special one-way valve would introduce.

I like the idea of using an old spoke as a dipstick.  I've used the Stan's Injector and find it okay, the 2 oz bottles are probably the easiest even though I've not used them, I just buy Stan's or Orange Sealant by the quart and use the injector.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »

Harder than other valves? It's the same type of valve, and it's the same valve core as others. Haven't found any issues with the Stan's valves when using the Stan's valve core remover, so not sure what issues you're running into.

I don't have the Stan's tool, so I'm just using whatever pliers are close at hand.  I guess I need to cut a ~3 mm slot (or whatever it is) in an Ikea wrench. 

My older set is gouged up a bit; I may be over tightening them when I put them back in, but I sure don't want the stem to work its way out.

RS VR6

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
I just shake my wheel. If I can hear fluid sloshing around...level ok...no sloshing...add fluid.  ;D

carbonazza

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »
I just shake my wheel. If I can hear fluid sloshing around...level ok...no sloshing...add fluid.  ;D
I used this before too, but one day I had a flat.
When opening the tire, I saw several dry residue of the sealant that were making a very similar noise.

cmh

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
I don't have the Stan's tool, so I'm just using whatever pliers are close at hand.  I guess I need to cut a ~3 mm slot (or whatever it is) in an Ikea wrench.

Or get the thing that actually makes it easy for $9.

IIRC it's 4.5mm - before I got the Stan's tool I used a 4.5mm combination wrench, but that was still slow and fiddly.

My older set is gouged up a bit; I may be over tightening them when I put them back in, but I sure don't want the stem to work its way out.

Older set of valves? Spend the $10 and replace when they need it.

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 02:40:14 AM »
Great! I have a similar one, that was collecting dust in a box, as I thought it was just for shrader valves :)

Patrick C.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 04:31:54 PM »

Never saw that tool before- not sure how I missed it, since I've spent plenty of time on the Stan's site and other bike sites looking at valves and other accessories.  Thanks Amazon Prime!