Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Feedback on Cheap Ti spindles for Crank Brothers Eggbeater

<< < (2/10) > >>

SportingGoods:
The problem with Titanium is that depending on quality it will be stronger or weaker then steel. I'd bet that the CB Ti spindle is high quality (but such expensive!) when the cheap ones are weak. I'd stick to steel.

I would recommend Time pedals. They are perfect to me:
- Large float (allows to move freely on the pedals without unclipping)
- Nice mud shedding (better then Shimano, probably not as good as CB)
- Very good weight/price ratio: I found a good deal on XC 8 (carbon / steel), 100€ / 287g the pair. Time XC 12 (carbon / Ti) are 200€ / 244g (but can be found cheaper, probably 160€ when hunting for deals).
- there is still some material around the spring so they are protected from rocks and there is a nice area for the foot to land unclipped. They are still in perfect condition (no damage, no play) after 15 month. I haven't done any preventive maintenance.

JohnnyNT:
Xpedo XMF08TT are light (215g) shimano-style pedals, people have been happy with them.

carbonazza:
Thank you all for the information.
I'll review Xpedo( I saw already these skinny beauties on r2-bike.com ), Time( I need some float similar to CB pedals ) and Speedplay models.

The pedals that failed:
An Eggbeater 2, all the inside parts exploded in pieces.
The spindle wasn't broken but well striped.

A Candy 1, the spring snapped in two pieces.
Nothing related to the spindle.

Carbon_Dude:
carbonazza, like you I have liked Eggbeater pedals for many years.  However, my recent experience from 2 years ago when I broke a spindle got me thinking about changing pedals.  However, since Crankbrothers warrantied my replacement pedals and I ended up with three new sets, I have stuck with them for now.

However, if I were to change, I'd try the second most popular pedal out there, Shimano XT/XTR.  In recent years Shimano has improved the design of the pedals and other riders who have switched did so because the Shimano pedal have zero maintenance and extremely high reliability. 

SportingGoods:
What almost got me into the Xpedo is the SPD compatibility. Shimano SPD is still the most common standard, so that it is easier to try someone else's bike or get someone test your bike w/o changing pedals. And as much as I like the weight of the Xpedo, I still question their ability to stand All-Mountain abuse, hitting rocks regularly. So I stick to my Time pedals as long as they don't break, but most my friends have Shimano and it sucks that I can't just pull the leg over their bike and test it  :(
I'm so used to generous float now that I'm not sure I could go back to other pedals. My previous pedals were Look S-Track and they were rigid as hell, 0° of float. Perfect for commuting or road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version