Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375331 times)

wfl3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »
Looks like a small crack at the top of the headtube. 

I'd see if they'll replace that front triangle, if not I'd epoxy that crack.  Doesn't seem to be in the bearing seat so epoxy should keep it structurally sound.

Is that a standard weight frame?

Opadeira

« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2020, 01:54:50 AM »
Not sure if sarcasm?  I'm asking here in hopes of getting community feedback from people that have hands on experience with the frame.  I also find it easier avoiding the language barrier and time difference for more technical questions.  This will be my third frame from Carbonda and have had zero issues with them.

No, not sarcasm. I just think it's a good sign that Carbonda is taking care of such issues as yours. It's valuable information to me that you posted your experience.

ride_n

« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
Can someone please advise i'm just starting building my size small frame.  top mount fox 42.5 with a 22.2 kit seems really tight.  don't want to force anything.  thx

ride_n

« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
nevermind, got it. thx.

carbonazza

« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
nevermind, got it. thx.

Don't hesitate to post pictures of your build  :)

ride_n

« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »
not quite finished yet...  been riding around yard & neighborhood. this thing is a hoot.  got a size small, i'm 5'7".  x-fusion 34/120 fork, fox float dps 42.5, gx drive, mavic xa elite wheels, niner stem & seatpost, fabric saddle.  i ride mostly xc but looking for a bit more comfort these days.

someone had asked a while back about running rear mech through/under shock.  yes you can, no problem. forgive my white housing it's all i had. hopefully me pic shows it - had to reduce mb size to fit post.

i need to cut fork and get a new longer rear brake hose.

ride_n

« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »
might be able to see this pic better.  sorry for quality.  plan on running new rear brake hose same way on other side.

brex

« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2020, 11:18:14 PM »
I'm planning to build this in size Large and looking at a few used items for the build.  Would an already cut fork with the steerer at 19cm be enough on a large?  What length brake hoses would I need?  Thanks
Yes, you should be fine. I have a large and measured today the bottom of head tube to the top of my stem, which has a half inch of spacers under it. I am pretty close to 19cm.

Schoobang

« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2020, 12:53:14 AM »
Read through this thread multiple time before pulling the trigger, and now my frame is finally here. Weighting in at about 2150g in standard XL.

Most of the components are already in the mail so hopefully first ride is just a week or two away.

zilcho

« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »
I'm planning to build this in size Large and looking at a few used items for the build.  Would an already cut fork with the steerer at 19cm be enough on a large?  What length brake hoses would I need?  Thanks
Yes, you should be fine. I have a large and measured today the bottom of head tube to the top of my stem, which has a half inch of spacers under it. I am pretty close to 19cm.

Thank you.  Would you be able to measure you brake lines too?

brex

« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2020, 09:58:46 PM »

It's a bit hard to get an accurate measurement because it is run through the frame, but using string to get the best approximation would be around 155-160 cm.
The front line would depend on your fork.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:23:02 PM by brex »

zilcho

« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2020, 12:01:20 AM »

It's a bit hard to get an accurate measurement because it is run through the frame, but using string to get the best approximation would be around 155-160 cm.
The front line would depend on your fork.

Awesome, thank you so much!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2020, 06:20:56 PM »
Fox will rebuild any of their 165 trunnion shocks into 165x42.5 with remote, you just have to send it to them. All of their 165 trunnion shocks are the same physical 45 mm length stroke shock. The 42.5 mm stroke shock has a 2.5 mm spacer, the 40 mm stroke has a 5 mm spacer.
Ideal situation is find a blown Fox 165 trunnon - any of the three lengths - on Ebay or classifieds ad list for cheap, then send off to Fox for a rebuild. The rebuild will cost right about $200 in parts and labor to have the trunnion head switched over to the remote lockout head, they have to do a rebuild on the shock anyway because that head is replaced. They will also swap to the 2.5 mm spacer.
I have a shock with them right now doing this very thing for my frame.

This is great info.. Thanks for sharing.

sync1

« Reply #238 on: April 07, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
Looks like a small crack at the top of the headtube. 

I'd see if they'll replace that front triangle, if not I'd epoxy that crack.  Doesn't seem to be in the bearing seat so epoxy should keep it structurally sound.

Is that a standard weight frame?

It's the standard version.
Carbonda asked me to destroy the main triangle and they will send me a new one.
Just destroyed the frame, inside the down and top tube the carbon layup looks even better than headtube and BB area.

trickydick

« Reply #239 on: April 07, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
ok so...
what about taking one of these and throwing a 140mm fork on the front? how about a -2 angleset?
im 6' (198cm ish) thinking about a large or an xl with a 30mm stem and some 780mm bars, oh and the longest dropper post i can get.
I usually ride a kona honzo and want something with a tiny bit of squish on the back for getting rowdy on. oh and i live in vancouver bc, so the bike will get thrashed pretty hard.
Think its up for it?