Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375524 times)

sync1

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #240 on: April 07, 2020, 06:30:41 PM »
ok so...
what about taking one of these and throwing a 140mm fork on the front? how about a -2 angleset?
im 6' (198cm ish) thinking about a large or an xl with a 30mm stem and some 780mm bars, oh and the longest dropper post i can get.
I usually ride a kona honzo and want something with a tiny bit of squish on the back for getting rowdy on. oh and i live in vancouver bc, so the bike will get thrashed pretty hard.
Think its up for it?

These frame it's for XC, not AM. I think you should go to AM831 and go with 130-150 rear and 150-160 front.

spec47

« Reply #241 on: April 07, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »
What bike are you riding now? I'm super happy with a 120mm fork riding the shore/Squamish. You can't run an angleset with an integrated headset. Careful running a super long post, you might not be able to get enough insertion to get your saddle height low enough at full extension. And assuming 30mm is a typo, but I'm running a 40mm (tried 50mm initially). I wouldn't go XL at your height.

If you want something plush for BC trails, this won't be it. Definitely has a pretty stiff/XC race feel to it compared to modern 140mm trail bikes. Certainly more forgiving than the last generation of XC bikes though.

Medico

« Reply #242 on: April 07, 2020, 11:53:32 PM »
ok so...
what about taking one of these and throwing a 140mm fork on the front? how about a -2 angleset?
im 6' (198cm ish) thinking about a large or an xl with a 30mm stem and some 780mm bars, oh and the longest dropper post i can get.
I usually ride a kona honzo and want something with a tiny bit of squish on the back for getting rowdy on. oh and i live in vancouver bc, so the bike will get thrashed pretty hard.
Think its up for it?

I dont think a 140mm fork will do any good to the bike, its designed for 100-120mm. It's a xc/downcountry style of bike. And with your size it will give extra stress. With 120mm it will hold up just fine...in XL offcourse (a Large will never fit don't you think?!).

Good luck

ChinaCruz

« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2020, 07:33:15 AM »
About shock size :

165x42,5 fits, you have a few millimeters space between seatstays arch and seat tube.

165x45 doesn't fit, at full travel the arch is touching the seat tube.

All these informations were confirmed to me by carbonda.

That's not good. During bottom out, that 1mm is going to get taken up by flex and there's going to be contact.

brex

« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
I'm 6'1" and purchased a large, it fits perfect.
And the 42.5 mm shock works great with the frame, doesn't touch at bottom out at all.

trickydick

« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2020, 10:17:06 PM »
Thats more than i want in terms of travel. Im looking for a light whippet like bike. I want something with a stiff rear end thats gonna feel snappy and playful.
What bike are you riding now? I'm super happy with a 120mm fork riding the shore/Squamish. You can't run an angleset with an integrated headset. Careful running a super long post, you might not be able to get enough insertion to get your saddle height low enough at full extension. And assuming 30mm is a typo, but I'm running a 40mm (tried 50mm initially). I wouldn't go XL at your height.

nope not a typo, give me a long af top tube and the shortest stem i can get. Ive been on a large steel honzo for the better part of three years now. Its set up with a 140mm fork up front, 27.5+ wtb vigilante tough casing tyres and cushcore front and rear. Had a banshee rune that over lapped the honzo for about a year, and a session before that, see a trend yet? So im coming from zero rear travel. 

I dont know why this is such a hard sell for you guys.
The geo for this thing is based off an axle to crown of 506mm, a fox 36 140mm is 547mm so that would slack the head tube out to about 64.5, sounds like a party to me. But might put the seat too far back with a long dropper, and the bb drop would only be 30ish mm. Maybe I really lay it all out there and run a 27.5 on the rear.
Im not looking for something plush, quite the opposite. I want something snappy and really progressive in the rear, think dual slalom bikes for yesteryear.

The way modern forward geometry works biases your weight on the front end so it makes a bit of sense to run a more aggressive spec front suspension than the rear end.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2020, 08:53:40 AM »
Now considering the FM936 instead of the LightCarbon LCFS958 I was very close to buying.

In the build planning phase now. Not sure if I want to go with a DVO Sapphire (32mm) lowered to 120mm or a RockShox SID Ultimate 120mm. The Sapphire should be more stout despite having 32mm stanchions too, but the SID will save over 200g. I can't easily get the new RockShox SID 120 with 35mm stanchions.

Any thoughts?

spec47

« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2020, 09:18:32 AM »
I was just referring to the 30mm stem length as a typo, I do know there were options (like the dented Pacenti bars), but otherwise, your steerer tube and 31.8mm handlebar would be in contact.

Have you ridden a bike with such a slack head angle? If you're coming from a Honzo, it's going to feel several degrees slacker as there is no sag on your bike obv. Slackening the head angle (and STA) isn't going to make it any more lively. Riding a 120mm fork on those trails is a real party.

spec47

« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
Now considering the FM936 instead of the LightCarbon LCFS958 I was very close to buying.

In the build planning phase now. Not sure if I want to go with a DVO Sapphire (32mm) lowered to 120mm or a RockShox SID Ultimate 120mm. The Sapphire should be more stout despite having 32mm stanchions too, but the SID will save over 200g. I can't easily get the new RockShox SID 120 with 35mm stanchions.

Any thoughts?

Depends on what you're riding and if you're racing IMO. The new SID looks awesome, but it seems like you can pick up Fox 34 SC's for a good deal on Pinkbike, etc now. I'd buy a reduced offset if I was buying again.

Medico

« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »

Any thoughts?

I wanted to set the bike up with a pike...bought the sipphire 34 instead and.loving it...I think its a much capable fork for downcountry...unless you're a xc racing kind of guy. Extra bonus is easy travel adjustmant with spacers

Pharaohollie

« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2020, 09:25:17 AM »

Any thoughts?

I wanted to set the bike up with a pike...bought the sipphire 34 instead and.loving it...I think its a much capable fork for downcountry...unless you're a xc racing kind of guy. Extra bonus is easy travel adjustmant with spacers

Thanks for the feedback, Medico. Did your DVO come with travel adjustment spacers in the box or must those be bought separately?

Medico

« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback, Medico. Did your DVO come with travel adjustment spacers in the box or must those be bought separately?

Normaly they will come in the package, 2 pieces. I bought one secondhand from a giant trance

brex

« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »
I also went with a Sapphire 34. Two travel reducer spacers in the box, each one 10 mm. The Fox 34 SC will save you a bunch of weight if weight is more important to you than quality suspension. But I didn't want the harsh, crappy damping of the Fox. The Sapphire and Factory 34 SC aren't a fair comparison as the Sapphire works, has small bump feel, good compression and rebound damping - all things that can't be said about the Factory 34 SC.
Haven't ever used a SID other than on an Epic with the brain. Without the idiotic brain mechanism, the SID is probably a decent fork.

On top of that, the DVO customer support is top notch. They will help with setup advice, or service questions. Just give them a call or email, they respond very quickly.

Schoobang

« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2020, 10:21:20 AM »

Any thoughts?

I got my 120mm 2021 sid ultimate delivered today. Looks great in blue! 35mm legs should make it perfect for down country. Got it for €700 from hibike.

I was hoping to install all the components for at test drive this weekend but there seems to a production error on my frame. Can’t insert the seat tube as much as I need to. Spec says 280mm but I can’t insert more than 225mm. I need 260mm for the dropper I already bought. I have a dialog with wing/carbonda about it. May have to wait another month or so for a replacement... =(

Pharaohollie

« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »
I also went with a Sapphire 34. Two travel reducer spacers in the box, each one 10 mm. The Fox 34 SC will save you a bunch of weight if weight is more important to you than quality suspension. But I didn't want the harsh, crappy damping of the Fox. The Sapphire and Factory 34 SC aren't a fair comparison as the Sapphire works, has small bump feel, good compression and rebound damping - all things that can't be said about the Factory 34 SC.
Haven't ever used a SID other than on an Epic with the brain. Without the idiotic brain mechanism, the SID is probably a decent fork.

On top of that, the DVO customer support is top-notch. They will help with setup advice, or service questions. Just give them a call or email, they respond very quickly.

Thanks for the further feedback on the DVO. The one I am considering is the Sapphire 32. It seems to be the option with the most versatility for my purposes and the travel adjustment options make it possible to transfer between different frames if I want to. I am not a weight weenie but I do the odd XC race and like to save "meaningful" weight wherever I can. The Sapphire will be a 200g weight penalty over the SID Ultimate but probably a better all-around package.