Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375374 times)

Pharaohollie

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2020, 10:44:48 AM »
Now considering the FM936 instead of the LightCarbon LCFS958 I was very close to buying.

In the build planning phase now. Not sure if I want to go with a DVO Sapphire (32mm) lowered to 120mm or a RockShox SID Ultimate 120mm. The Sapphire should be more stout despite having 32mm stanchions too, but the SID will save over 200g. I can't easily get the new RockShox SID 120 with 35mm stanchions.

Any thoughts?

I got my 120mm 2021 sid ultimate delivered today. Looks great in blue! 35mm legs should make it perfect for down country. Got it for €700 from hibike.

I was hoping to install all the components for at test drive this weekend but there seems to a production error on my frame. Can’t insert the seat tube as much as I need to. Spec says 280mm but I can’t insert more than 225mm. I need 260mm for the dropper I already bought. I have a dialog with wing/carbonda about it. May have to wait another month or so for a replacement... =(

2021 SID 35 would be perfect but I cannot easily buy one where I live.

Too bad about the seatpost insert. Did you check the rest of the frame measurements? Did you get an L instead of the XL (I am assuming) you ordered? Hope you get it resolved soon.

On a different note, did anyone go for paint on these frames? Any experience with paint quality from Carbonda in general?

Schoobang

« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
Now considering the FM936 instead of the LightCarbon LCFS958 I was very close to buying.

In the build planning phase now. Not sure if I want to go with a DVO Sapphire (32mm) lowered to 120mm or a RockShox SID Ultimate 120mm. The Sapphire should be more stout despite having 32mm stanchions too, but the SID will save over 200g. I can't easily get the new RockShox SID 120 with 35mm stanchions.

Any thoughts?

I got my 120mm 2021 sid ultimate delivered today. Looks great in blue! 35mm legs should make it perfect for down country. Got it for €700 from hibike.

I was hoping to install all the components for at test drive this weekend but there seems to a production error on my frame. Can’t insert the seat tube as much as I need to. Spec says 280mm but I can’t insert more than 225mm. I need 260mm for the dropper I already bought. I have a dialog with wing/carbonda about it. May have to wait another month or so for a replacement... =(

2021 SID 35 would be perfect but I cannot easily buy one where I live.

Too bad about the seatpost insert. Did you check the rest of the frame measurements? Did you get an L instead of the XL (I am assuming) you ordered? Hope you get it resolved soon.

On a different note, did anyone go for paint on these frames? Any experience with paint quality from Carbonda in general?

Yeah, I checked and it is definitely a XL. The seat tube is long but when looking down in it i can see some carbon fiber sheets sticking out from the side, so I guess it’s an error from production. If carbonda offer me descent compensation I may keep it. It could work with a oneup 150mm dropper post, but I can’t return the 180mm I got since it is a bit scratched from installing. To be continued...

Pharaohollie

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »

Yeah, I checked and it is definitely a XL. The seat tube is long but when looking down in it i can see some carbon fiber sheets sticking out from the side, so I guess it’s an error from production. If carbonda offer me descent compensation I may keep it. It could work with a oneup 150mm dropper post, but I can’t return the 180mm I got since it is a bit scratched from installing. To be continued...

Curious: did you buy the normal or superlight version?

Schoobang

« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »

Curious: did you buy the normal or superlight version?

Got the normal version. Weights about 2150g including the rear axle.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
Can anyone please confirm the headset specs for this frame? Is it upper IS42/28.6 lower IS47/33? Carbonda are being a little slow with replies.

wfl3

« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
Can anyone please confirm the headset specs for this frame? Is it upper IS42/28.6 lower IS47/33? Carbonda are being a little slow with replies.

Found this on page 12 of this thread:

Here's a 40 set that works for tapered headsets, 110 will have the same numbers:
Cane Creek 40.IS52 Bottom Headset - Lower Part 1.5 Inches - IS52/40
Cane Creek 40.IS42 Top Headset - Upper Part 1 1/8 Inches - IS42/28.6

Pharaohollie

« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »

Here's a 40 set that works for tapered headsets, 110 will have the same numbers:

Thank you. This is now a little confusing though. Carbonda's specs don't specify exact headset spec. I already have a 42/52 headset but the specs for the NS Synonym (same front triangle?) list FSA NO.42/47/ACB, which made me think I might need a 47 lower bearing assembly like this one https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ritchey-comp-drop-in-headset-underpart-is47-33-691978. Hmm. Hoping one of the forum members who have already built one up will confirm which is it!

wfl3

« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2020, 05:00:34 PM »

Thank you. This is now a little confusing though. Carbonda's specs don't specify exact headset spec. I already have a 42/52 headset but the specs for the NS Synonym (same front triangle?) list FSA NO.42/47/ACB, which made me think I might need a 47 lower bearing assembly like this one https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/ritchey-comp-drop-in-headset-underpart-is47-33-691978. Hmm. Hoping one of the forum members who have already built one up will confirm which is it!

OK, I got the cheap headset from Carbonda with the frame (usually do this with China direct frames to have a reference) and just went out and made sure the bearings fit the frame and then measured them.

The specs that were posted on page 12 are correct:
IS52/40
IS42/28.6

Pharaohollie

« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »

OK, I got the cheap headset from Carbonda with the frame (usually do this with China direct frames to have a reference) and just went out and made sure the bearings fit the frame and then measured them.

The specs that were posted on page 12 are correct:
IS52/40
IS42/28.6

Thank you, much appreciated!

Jan505

« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
Can you actually mount a 36t on this frame

carbonazza

« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2020, 02:41:04 AM »

I happily used their service on many frames: single color, multi-colors, with glitters, etc.  they can do whatever you like.
And the result was each time of high quality.

Wing is very easy to communicate about it.
Be sure to describe all the details as precisely as you can to get exactly the result you want.
And you get pictures before shipping.

And check the Pantone codes you give in real light if you can, not only on screen.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

I happily used their service on many frames: single color, multi-colors, with glitters, etc.  they can do whatever you like.

Be sure to describe all the details as precisely as you can to get exactly the result you want.

And check the Pantone codes you give in real light if you can, not only on screen.

Many thanks for the feedback on that. I am yet to decide on paint vs no paint, but I guess I shouldn't overthink it.

Schoobang

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »

Many thanks for the feedback on that. I am yet to decide on paint vs no paint, but I guess I shouldn't overthink it.

No paint is lighter!  ;)
I got a blue SID fork to spice things up a bit.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2020, 12:53:03 PM »
No paint is lighter!  ;)

True! And a blue SID is what I am very likely getting for this frame if I don't go for the DVO Sapphire. Got any pictures of your build?

carbonazza

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2020, 01:17:14 AM »
No paint is lighter!  ;)
I was all black and light before too.
Do a couple more intervals and ride a shiny bike  ;)