Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375530 times)

Sitar_Ned

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »
Update from my side...had an issue with play in the lower pivot. Got new spacers to install, but no luck...play is less but still there. Already had contact with Adam, will get new rear stays/triangle.
To be continued

Thanks for updating... I was wondering. Hopefully, you get it sorted soon.

theirishrider

« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2020, 07:12:43 AM »
Update from my side...had an issue with play in the lower pivot. Got new spacers to install, but no luck...play is less but still there. Already had contact with Adam, will get new rear stays/triangle.
To be continued

It's good to hear about Carbonda's good customer support! Is it better than LightCarbon in general - if anyone has experienced both?  Very tempted between this and the LCFS911! Don't suppose anyone has ridden bother?  :D

Pharaohollie

« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
I haven't experienced both but my original plan was to build a LCFS958 and decided to go for the FM936 frame instead as it just makes more sense for what the bike want to build right now. You lose a bit in travel and save 500g+ in weight with the Carbonda.

I considered the LCFS911 too but just like the looks of the Carbonda a bit more.  There is a $300 difference in price and I am not sure if this has to do with a superior construction, but I doubt the difference in quality would be large (again, haven't owned any frames from either companies, so maybe anyone who actually has can chime in?). The fact that the FM936 is essentially a debranded NS Synonym (with a different rear triangle) might translate into a frame that's easier to sell if I want to, but in this "class" of frames that's a secondary issue, really.

carbonazza

« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »
Carbonda has a great customer service. I had a two frame shipment that got lost somewhere few months ago.
They repainted two of them to the specs and sent them again.

I never had a failure or defects with the frames I ordered(9), which is good, but I'm sure they would handle it the same way.
Not sure if it is only by the EPS molding, but their frames looks as good inside than outside.

Yeah... As you may have already read in many posts, I'm a fan !

Schoobang

« Reply #289 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »
How did you guys mount your bottom brackets? I mounted a SRAM dub one with grease according to Wings recommendations, but it creaks a lot when pushing hard on the pedals. Or is it something else that could make the sounds according to your experience? It started after about 15kms of riding.

carbonazza

« Reply #290 on: April 25, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »
If you look around the web, you will read it can come from everywhere unfortunately.
From a loose derailleur hanger(my last one), to the pedal bearings, the headset, the stem, the BB.

I always put a retaining compound when pressing a BB, not grease.
Again many different views exist for this too.

zilcho

« Reply #291 on: April 25, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »
My frame is on the way!  So excited for the build!

dhengen

« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »
Aah... these young people  ::)
I understand ;)

I agree - get a paint job with the frame and make it beautiful. That being said, how does the process go for selecting a paint colour, cost, addition to timeline to get frame, etc? Any insights to share what I should expect. Looking to order my frame in the fall (Sept) and build it up over the winter. Thanks again!

ChinaCruz

« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »
How did you guys mount your bottom brackets? I mounted a SRAM dub one with grease according to Wings recommendations, but it creaks a lot when pushing hard on the pedals. Or is it something else that could make the sounds according to your experience? It started after about 15kms of riding.

For BB92, I get the thread-together bb from ztto or wheels manuf. I clean thoroughly and mount with Loctite 648. Then I press in NTN double sealed bearings with Loctite 648. Allow to cure 24 hours. Coat the outside of the bearing seals with a silicone based grease, use Chevron Ultra duty EP grease on the crank shaft, and install.

ChinaCruz

« Reply #294 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
Anyone knows if this frame has a 165x40 or 165x42.5 rear shock with a handlebar lock? Or is it possible to mount a classic 165x38?

It's spec'd for a 165x40 trunnion mount shock (with or without a remote lockout)

I'd imagine a 165x38 would work, but would need a conversion kit or something for the trunnion mount side.  Prob be somewhere around 80-85mm travel then?

I know but I have not found a 165x40mm handlebars lock.

There's a Fox DPS and Manitou Mcleod in this size, both with lockouts. I haven't used the Fox lockout, but with the Mcleod you can use a Shimano 2x shifter to get full range of motion on the platform adjust. Only concern I have with this frame is if it will fit.

Schoobang

« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2020, 01:06:48 AM »

For BB92, I get the thread-together bb from ztto or wheels manuf. I clean thoroughly and mount with Loctite 648. Then I press in NTN double sealed bearings with Loctite 648. Allow to cure 24 hours. Coat the outside of the bearing seals with a silicone based grease, use Chevron Ultra duty EP grease on the crank shaft, and install.

The threaded-together bb sounds like a great tip, however I have a dub crank and can’t find that kind of bb for that standard. Only for gpx and shimano.

I may try thread locker like loctitite otherwise which works well on my other carbon frame. But I am not sure I can remove those bearings without damaging the frame easily...

Pharaohollie

« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2020, 01:21:46 AM »

Fantastic paint job. I just ordered my frame but went with no paint because I am too impatient.

theirishrider

« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2020, 06:01:47 AM »
Carbonda has a great customer service. I had a two frame shipment that got lost somewhere few months ago.
They repainted two of them to the specs and sent them again.

I never had a failure or defects with the frames I ordered(9), which is good, but I'm sure they would handle it the same way.
Not sure if it is only by the EPS molding, but their frames looks as good inside than outside.

Yeah... As you may have already read in many posts, I'm a fan !

Thanks a million for the details! They seem to care about customer support! Don't think ive heard of anyone cracking one of these frames yet aha

theirishrider

« Reply #298 on: April 26, 2020, 06:16:27 AM »
Lovely colour! Love the glitter! How much did it cost for the 2 tone? :)

zilcho

« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2020, 12:09:29 PM »
Lovely colour! Love the glitter! How much did it cost for the 2 tone? :)

$125 for the paint.  Two weeks from paying invoice to frame shipping.