Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375530 times)

Pharaohollie

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #315 on: April 28, 2020, 06:25:51 AM »
It's still a big increase from the original $630 plus shipping :o

$820 plus shipping for the superlight version.

wfl3

« Reply #316 on: April 28, 2020, 06:45:50 AM »
Not sure what this frame would cost from Stevens or NS - or if they even sell frame only. 

The only thing I could find in this weight/geo class for $2000 is the 2019 Sniper NM which would be comparable to the standard layup FM936 in weight and geo.  It's $500 more for the SL version from Intense.

If you're small you could find that Beti SB100 (the Yeti SB100 is still over $3k) for $2200, but it's about 5.5lbs and not quite as slack so the standard FM936 would still be lighter.

I've got about $1100 into the FM936 frame (superlight, no paint) with a Fox Factory shock (took a couple of weeks to find a decent deal).  Even if it's a hot mess I doubt I'll lose any more money than if I went with a name brand.  The resale on used bikes is pretty bad anyway (for the seller).

ChinaCruz

« Reply #317 on: April 28, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »
I may have to pass on this frame. The attraction of these no brand frames is the low price. They're quoting me $1200 shipped for a painted superlight frame. With shock that will be $1500-$1600. That is steep for a frame with zero resale value when name brand companies are selling their previous year model frames for around $2000.

You do you, but to claim this frame isn't a deal is just silly.  You chose the SL model, $150 for 150 grams saved isn't exactly a bargain on any component, but it's nice that they offer the option.  Don't know what you chose for paint but good luck finding that price quote state side or wherever you are.  Their shipping cost is higher right now b/c only EMS is making it through customs with the pandemic, not like they're pocketing the difference.  Name a branded frame that you can get with custom painting, and this modern XC geo, for $1200 shipped.

That is a good point on the shipping. DHL they are quoting me is $190. Maybe I will do it. But the chiner frame appeal - no warranty, no support, just good enough for a year, trash it afterward, is maximum for me at $1000usd for frame and shock.

Schoobang

« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »
Problem is that this kind of bb doesn’t exist for my dub cranks, or at least I can’t find it. So I would need to buy new cranks as well.

Really wish I knew you could get it threaded from factory before...

sorry I dont want to beat a dead horse but I think C-bear stock them :) https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/sram-dub

Sorry but I may be missing something here. How is this different from the SRAM one I have installed now? They look very similar and neither is “thread-together”?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 08:26:52 AM by Schoobang »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2020, 08:57:42 AM »
That is a good point on the shipping. DHL they are quoting me is $190. Maybe I will do it. But the chiner frame appeal - no warranty, no support, just good enough for a year, trash it afterward, is maximum for me at $1000usd for frame and shock.

Use it for a year and trash it afterwards? I think you are probably in the minority on that one. I've had my hardtail for 5 years and my friend had his full sus for 4 and both are still going strong. You will need to maintenance pivots and bearings, of course. That said, we're not all that hard on our bikes so ymmv.

theirishrider

« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
Problem is that this kind of bb doesn’t exist for my dub cranks, or at least I can’t find it. So I would need to buy new cranks as well.
Really wish I knew you could get it threaded from factory before...
sorry I dont want to beat a dead horse but I think C-bear stock them :) https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/sram-dub
Sorry but I may be missing something here. How is this different from the SRAM one I have installed now? They look very similar and neither is “thread-together”?
Sorry, you are correct. That's my fault, this site makes it clearer https://www.bike-components.de/en/C-BEAR/BB86-92-SRAM-DUB-MTB-Cyclocross-Bottom-Bracket-41-x-86-5-92-mm-p68086/

lRaphl

« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »

I've done 10,844.0 km on my IP-036 in 4 summers so far and the bike frame just don't want to die yet. I destroyed a rear wheel/derailleur/hanger, snapped a shock bolt, bottomed the damn thing many many many times and so far no sign of failure. I think you underestimate the quality of those open mold frames.

wfl3

« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »
That's really impressive for any light frame lRaphl

I've had several name brand frames fail with a lot less miles, but under probably the same hard riding conditions. 

wfl3

« Reply #323 on: May 01, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
Has anyone found a replacement for the upper shock mount bolt?  The one that comes with the frame seems a bit soft, like that hex head will strip out fairly easy and it needs to be pretty tight to prevent play right there.

ChinaCruz

« Reply #324 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »

Use it for a year and trash it afterwards? I think you are probably in the minority on that one. I've had my hardtail for 5 years and my friend had his full sus for 4 and both are still going strong. You will need to maintenance pivots and bearings, of course. That said, we're not all that hard on our bikes so ymmv.

Perhaps so. My FM-06 is coming up on a year and its third set of bb bearings; I'm estimating that the bb is out of spec causing their life to be short. I am pretty hard on these bikes, and not worrying about that is why they are so attractive.

For this frame, $630 normal version, no paint, cheaper shipping when the panic dies down, and it's looking like a contender.

theirishrider

« Reply #325 on: May 01, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
It's a great deal! The only thing I can't decide is what fork to put on it! I'd like something cheap but not cheap

brex

« Reply #326 on: May 01, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »

Jan505

« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »
   If your concerned about warranty clearly you don't belong buying carbon. Only a couple bike brands have life time warranty and almost every reputable manufacturer has a 2 year warranty same as every other company.  If you pay 900 for a sl frame with paint and use it for 2 years and sell the frame for 450 you just saved yourself thousands. Almost every frame is marked half off on eBay

theirishrider

« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2020, 05:24:50 AM »
https://www.bike24.com/p2308302.html?menu=1000,2,121

Also available in blue or green.

Should I sell one or 2 kidneys?  ;D

Zdrenka89

« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:06 AM »
Can you guys help me figure out what choice one have buying a rear shock for this bike.

Im mostly interested in buying a 165x42,5 to maximize the travel.

Im looking to pair it with a Rockshox SID Select 120mm, 44mm offset fork.
https://www.bike24.com/p2374397.html?q=sid

Ideally i would get one of the new SIDluxe Select shocks but they are nowhere to be found. Does anyone know if you can buy directly from Sram somehow?  :-\

Other options would be:

DVO Topaz T3Air
https://www.bike-components.de/en/DVO-Suspension/Topaz-T3Air-Trunnion-Rear-Shock-p71446/

Fox Float DPS EVOL 3POS
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/Float-DPS-EVOL-SV-3POS-Trunnion-Factory-Rear-Shock-2020-Model-p71726/
(very expensive)

Rockshox Deluxe RT3 Debonair for Giant Anthem
https://www.bike24.com/p2276563.html
I think the linkage ratio of the rear suspension is a bit off, so i might be to soft. Do you think it can be tuned?
(picture is wrong i think)

Any options i've missed?